Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2011, 05:28 PM   #85

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I took my 08coach/07 F-53 22000lbs chassis in for oil & lube. While it was in I also had them move the front & rear sway bars to the inter holes, what a difference. Stopped most of the rocking, cornered better. We had 25 to 45 mph winds in the DFW area today and I experienced it from all sides. You still have to drive but a great improvement. I paid for it, but Ford did it with no restrictions or warnings. The service manager said that is how he will fix the next one with rocking problems. Hope this will answer those who had question if it was safe. If bourbon & aspirin don't cure it, I don't want it. gpscotty irv2
gpscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2011, 05:25 AM   #86

gpscotty: "While it was in I also had them move the front & rear sway bars to the inter holes". Not sure what you mean, I think you mean "inner" but even then, holes closest to what? closest to the center of the coach, or the rear or back of the coach? Inquiring minds need to know. Thanks.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:58 AM   #87

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzyblueye View Post
gpscotty: "While it was in I also had them move the front & rear sway bars to the inter holes". Not sure what you mean, I think you mean "inner" but even then, holes closest to what? closest to the center of the coach, or the rear or back of the coach? Inquiring minds need to know. Thanks.
If you haven't already, you might want to briefly read through this post from the beginning. I believe you will fine some pictures on page 3 that might help explain the mod. The inner holes are closest to the axles.

Hope this helps till gpscotty replies back to you.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:34 AM   #88

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
IZZYBLUEYE: sorry about not making myself clear, I had them do the cheap handling fix described in this post. With all the questions about is it safe or not, figured I would see what Ford's reaction would be. The large truck Service Manager said this would be his fix for any other motor homes that where brought in with this sway problem and with this type suspension. See pictures described in above message. Hope this clears up my comments. gps just for info, I was borne in Scircleville Indiana, that is the correct spelling for the town, which is close to Frankfort.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:05 AM   #89

Thanks guys for bringing a dummy up to speed. I had not checked the subject back far enough. It intrigued me enough I looked for a quick answer as I had not heard about this before. Thanks again for putting me on target.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:53 AM   #90

Good News

Glad to hear that people are still giving my easy fix a try. I've lost count of how many have reported (on the forum and directly to me) implementing the fix, but the number continues to grow. So far absolutely zero negatives, just reports from happy campers with reduced sway problems.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:05 PM   #91

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
John, I most surly do want to thank you for this info. Not only did you save me time & money, but a RV that is now a pleasure to drive. I do not have to tell all the good things it does, but again thank you for telling the rest of us. May we meet in a campground and enjoy a libation of your choice. We spend our summers about 10 miles West of the Montana border, just off HW 200. gps

2008 32' Southwind
Ford 22000# chassis
1 extra leaf in each rear spring
Old 04-04-2011, 09:01 PM   #92

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I did the fix on the front and back, and it really seems to help. I have not driven very far yet, but at the end of April I will tow my boat to lake Havasu to give it a good test
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:01 AM   #93

I have a 1996 Tropical 236 with a Ford 460 and I'm assuming an F53 chassis and the front sway bar doesn't have two holes, just the one at the end. What am I missing?
burmashave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:21 PM   #94

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Drove from Bakersfield ca to lake havasu in some strong winds, and what a huge difference this fix made. I recommend.
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:48 AM   #95

Here is a guy who stepped out and made a fix on his own and then followed up for the rest of us. What happened to all the expensive technical writers in the RV mags that should have had this nailed. My thanks to every one of you that contributed to this issue.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:14 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by smack2020 View Post
I did the fix on the front and back, and it really seems to help. I have not driven very far yet, but at the end of April I will tow my boat to lake Havasu to give it a good test
just curiuos, how did you do the front bar
Old 05-02-2011, 09:17 AM   #97

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Recently told a friend about this "cheap fix", he did it and says it really helps, a definite improvement. Like to ear about these kind of fixes, anybody got any for an older F53?
Old 05-02-2011, 06:14 PM   #98

Just reread all of this again. Sounds interesting. I would like to confirm this clearance issue though. This is only for the small size F-53 and not the 06-later 22K F-53?
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote