Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2017, 03:37 PM   #1

Cheap handling Fix (CHF) help with 2001 Fleetwood Pace Arrow

My friend has a 2001 Fleetwood Pace Arrow with a F53 chassis manufactured in April 2000. I told him about the CHF, and he is attempting to give it a try.

He's replacing the bushings on the sway bar links (the rod that connects the frame to the sway bars), and he's thinking that the sway bars that are currently on his RV aren't original. I attached a picture of the sway bar link he took off his MH, but when we search on-line for a replacement part, the pictures look nothing like the ones he removed. Further, a call to the local auto parts store yielded no help, as they were unable to find sway bar links for a 2000 F53 chassis. When one does a search for a F550 sway bar link, however, they look a lot like the ones that are currently on the MH.

Any thoughts on this? We want to make sure that the sway bar links that are currently on the MH are OEM, and if we need to replace, want to make sure we're getting the correct one.

Thanks!

Sway bar link removed from MH (attached to this post)

00 2000 Ford F53 Sway Bar Link - Suspension - Mevotech, Rear - PartsGeek
Sway bar link we're finding online
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sway bar link 2000 F53.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	516.4 KB
ID:	157547   Click image for larger version

Name:	2001 Fleetwood Pace Arrow placard.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	157548  

ualdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2017, 03:54 PM   #2

Those bushings do go bad, as the OEM rubber is not made to last.

Usual way to repair a worn bushing is to replace the entire link, but that only gets you new OEM rubber.

Some folks press out the OEM stuff and replace the innerds with polyurethane bushings made specifically for this application. That's what the blue pieces look like.

Someday, I'm going to have to service mine, and aftermarket polyurethane is the way I'll be going. It lasts virtually forever, and is what the factory SHOULD have used in the first place on a heavy-duty chassis.

Oh well,

Pop
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post
Those bushings do go bad, as the OEM rubber is not made to last.

Usual way to repair a worn bushing is to replace the entire link, but that only gets you new OEM rubber.

Some folks press out the OEM stuff and replace the innerds with polyurethane bushings made specifically for this application. That's what the blue pieces look like.

Someday, I'm going to have to service mine, and aftermarket polyurethane is the way I'll be going. It lasts virtually forever, and is what the factory SHOULD have used in the first place on a heavy-duty chassis.

Oh well,

Pop
Actually he's going to replace the bushings with the polyurethane ones you mention. However, the question we have is.........Are the sway bar links pictured OEM?
Old 04-07-2017, 06:59 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, they look OEM. measured center hole to center hole. Yours appear to be about 10 1/2 inches

On my 20012 Mirada, the measurement was 10 1/2 inches, but on my 1999 Southwind, the measurement was 11 1/2 inches.

http://www.2001mirada.com/cheap-hand...and-then-some/

http://www.1999southwind.com/chf-che...-and-handling/

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Yes, they look OEM. measured center hole to center hole. Yours appear to be about 10 1/2 inches

On my 20012 Mirada, the measurement was 10 1/2 inches, but on my 1999 Southwind, the measurement was 11 1/2 inches.

Cheap Handling Fix – and then some | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

CHF – Cheap Handling Fix – Fix for sway and handling – 1999 Southwind 35S

Did your 1999 Southwind F53 chassis come with a rear sway bar standard? Or was it added aftermarket? I thought I read somewhere on the CHF thread that before a certain year, the F53 chassis did NOT come with standard sway bars.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:57 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, mine has a rear torsion bar. I did the CHF on the front and rear ..

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, fleetwood, pace arrow