Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: "Cheap Handling Fix" Poll
I did the Fix. It reduced sway and my coach handles better. 251 70.90%
I did the Fix and it did not help. 2 0.56%
I installed longer front links. 51 14.41%
I may install longer front links later. 29 8.19%
I moved the front links to the rear. 19 5.37%
I do not have the ability and will have the Fix done for me. 15 4.24%
Mine rides fine, but I may do the fix later. 61 17.23%
I never will do the Fix as I think it is unsafe. 13 3.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 354. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Dunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Phx, Arid~zona
Posts: 11,106
"Cheap Handling Fix" Poll

We ask that only those with a F53 chassis who have performed or are thinking about performing the Cheap Handling Fix participate in the vote.

Comments are welcome from everyone.
__________________

__________________
2004 32' National Sea Breeze 1311 Class A on a F-53 Chassis, CHF, TST TPMS, 5Star Tune.
If Dunner (RVM23) can't fix it, it ain't broke!
Cheap Handling Fix Poll. Click Here to vote?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
trainsktg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 154
Like I said on the other thread, I had already installed the Steer Safe and Ultra Trac on my rig before I performed the McKinleyMod and there was still a significant improvement in the ride. Quite amazing.

Keith
__________________

__________________
'99 Bounder 30E with V10 and '06 Wrangler tow (no more dolly )
trainsktg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Nashville NC
Posts: 587
What if you made your own brackets to extend the end links instead of buying new ones.
Neil
__________________
1999 32' Holiday Rambler Vacationer, F53 V10
Wife & me love camping at a race track, dirt track that is.
C-Leigh Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
clyon51's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Arizona West RV Park, Yuma, Az
Posts: 4,047
You saved a few bucks I guess.
__________________
John & Clare Lyon
2007 43.5' Monaco Dynasty Palace III (All Electric)
Towd: 2011 Chevy Equinox
clyon51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3
Satisfied Customer of the "Cheap Fix"

We recently purchased a new 2012 Itasca Sunstar 26p. ($79K loaded) This unit is built on the Ford F53 chassis with a GW of 16000#. We picked it up at the NJ dealer and began a 4000 mile trip. Might not do that again.

We are new class A drivers and thought the twitchy handling was us. We expected that we would get use to it. We did get a little more comfortable with practice but passing big trucks and wind really pushed us around - borderline scary - lots of work.

So I bought a truck tire gauge and found the pressure on the left at 65psi +- 10 and the pressure on the right side was 95 +-10psi. Inflated all tires to Winnebago spec of 82psi - both sides. This helped - a little.

When we got home (5000 mileage) I had the alignment checked. It was badly misaligned. Front tires are obviously worn. Had alignment done and tires rotated. (By the way, the alignment shop strongly recommended that the tires be inflated to a full 110psi as on the tire sidewall - to cut down tire sidewall flex and therefore sway. I did this too. (Comments please)) These changes helped noticeably - handling/staying-centered - but still too much side to side sway.

Read the iVR2 blog on the "Cheap Fix". Made sense to me. Immediately, made the change. (Cheap - not necessarily an easy doityourself project.)

Just tried it out on I-89 during VERY windy conditions. WOW! It made a significant improvement! ...almost don't notice the wind! Thank you for the brilliant suggestion!

Why is this adjustment left to a new owner? I had called Winnebago Customer Suport. They were Not helpful.

Next:
To make driving even easier/more-relaxing I have ordered a a Safe-T-Plus steering damper ($560 w/ bracket). This will hopefully help us relax while driving straight ahead and mitigate blowout dangers. I will give an update when it is installed and tested.

Thanks again! I love the iRV2 site!
Carter
__________________
ckaanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Southern Ohio
Posts: 636
Steering Damper

Safe T Plus is pretty expensive. The Bilstein damper is only $130 and works just fine. Try:

Bilstein Steering Damper Ford Chassis - $128.77
__________________
John McKinley
2007 Damon Daybreak 3060, Ford 16,000# Chassis,
Ford C-Max Hybrid Toad , Suzuki V Strom 1000cc
jmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:38 PM   #7
Community Moderator
 
bdickson's Avatar


 
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Wherever the rig is parked
Posts: 7,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckinley View Post
Safe T Plus is pretty expensive. The Bilstein damper is only $130 and works just fine. Try:

Bilstein Steering Damper Ford Chassis - $128.77
John, how would you rate the Bilstein against the Blue Ox TruCenter? I have a booking at the Blue Ox factory in a couple of weeks to get one installed, but I'm beginning to wonder if the TruCenter at $1,300 is worth the money.
__________________
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:43 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Dunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Phx, Arid~zona
Posts: 11,106
If you haven't already done the fix, do it first before you spend money you may not need to.
__________________
2004 32' National Sea Breeze 1311 Class A on a F-53 Chassis, CHF, TST TPMS, 5Star Tune.
If Dunner (RVM23) can't fix it, it ain't broke!
Cheap Handling Fix Poll. Click Here to vote?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Lincolnboy2's Avatar


 
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Grand Prairie, TX (DFW)
Posts: 3,536
Mike, do I need 4 of those Bilstein dampers? If I were gonna try it.

I am gonna try to move that anti sway bar hole over one, I have a good friend who's a mechanic that can look at the MH for me and see if it can be done. I am mechanical, but can't get my fat **s under the MH to look.
__________________
Kent - '03 Fleetwood Storm Ford F-53 V-10
With Susie (Lhasa); Angie (Shorkie) Ferbie (ShihTzu)
In Memoriam: Katie, Spencer and Zoey
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Southern Ohio
Posts: 636
I agree with Dunner. Do the McKinley Fix first before you shell out the big bucks for the TruCenter. Before I discovered the Fix, I added the Bilstein Steering Damper to correct a shimmy problem but found it helped with passing trucks, wind gusts, etc. as well.

I don't have any personal experience with the TruCenter so I can't really comment except to say it is grossly overpriced for what you get.
__________________
John McKinley
2007 Damon Daybreak 3060, Ford 16,000# Chassis,
Ford C-Max Hybrid Toad , Suzuki V Strom 1000cc
jmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Dunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Phx, Arid~zona
Posts: 11,106
The steering dampers I have seen on any vehicles from the factory was only one on the tie rod.
You can buy kits with two, but those are usually for off-road vehicles.
__________________
2004 32' National Sea Breeze 1311 Class A on a F-53 Chassis, CHF, TST TPMS, 5Star Tune.
If Dunner (RVM23) can't fix it, it ain't broke!
Cheap Handling Fix Poll. Click Here to vote?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #12
Community Moderator
 
bdickson's Avatar


 
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Wherever the rig is parked
Posts: 7,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
If you haven't already done the fix, do it first before you spend money you may not need to.
I'm looking at steering dampers for easier sidewind driving and straight line steering during front wheel blowout. I don't think the McKinley Mod addresses either of these issues?
__________________
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
96 Wideglide's Avatar
 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaanta View Post
We recently purchased a new 2012 Itasca Sunstar 26p. ($79K loaded) This unit is built on the Ford F53 chassis with a GW of 16000#. We picked it up at the NJ dealer and began a 4000 mile trip. Might not do that again.

We are new class A drivers and thought the twitchy handling was us. We expected that we would get use to it. We did get a little more comfortable with practice but passing big trucks and wind really pushed us around - borderline scary - lots of work.

So I bought a truck tire gauge and found the pressure on the left at 65psi +- 10 and the pressure on the right side was 95 +-10psi. Inflated all tires to Winnebago spec of 82psi - both sides. This helped - a little.

When we got home (5000 mileage) I had the alignment checked. It was badly misaligned. Front tires are obviously worn. Had alignment done and tires rotated. (By the way, the alignment shop strongly recommended that the tires be inflated to a full 110psi as on the tire sidewall - to cut down tire sidewall flex and therefore sway. I did this too. (Comments please)) These changes helped noticeably - handling/staying-centered - but still too much side to side sway.

Read the iVR2 blog on the "Cheap Fix". Made sense to me. Immediately, made the change. (Cheap - not necessarily an easy doityourself project.)

Just tried it out on I-89 during VERY windy conditions. WOW! It made a significant improvement! ...almost don't notice the wind! Thank you for the brilliant suggestion!

Why is this adjustment left to a new owner? I had called Winnebago Customer Suport. They were Not helpful.

Next:
To make driving even easier/more-relaxing I have ordered a a Safe-T-Plus steering damper ($560 w/ bracket). This will hopefully help us relax while driving straight ahead and mitigate blowout dangers. I will give an update when it is installed and tested.

Thanks again! I love the iRV2 site!
Carter
110psi in the tires on a 16,000lb chassis........ No way !

The ride is gona be rediculously rough, and you'll likely be wearing out the center of your treads. I would go with Winnebago's recomended pressures, till you get all your stuff loaded in, full tank of fuel, full tank of fresh water, then head to a scale. The tire manufactures website will have a chart to tell you how much air you need for your given axle weight's.
__________________
Ben & Sharon
2008 43' Holiday Rambler Scepter PDQ
96 Wideglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:48 PM   #14
Community Moderator
 
bdickson's Avatar


 
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Wherever the rig is parked
Posts: 7,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
110psi in the tires on a 16,000lb chassis........ No way !

The ride is gona be rediculously rough, and you'll likely be wearing out the center of your treads. I would go with Winnebago's recomended pressures, till you get all your stuff loaded in, full tank of fuel, full tank of fresh water, then head to a scale. The tire manufactures website will have a chart to tell you how much air you need for your given axle weight's.
x2. I run my 16,000lb F53 (Thor ACE) at 85psi all tires, as per the manufacturer sticker. 110 is WAY too high.
__________________

__________________
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.