RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2014, 05:01 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Check engine light on.

After our last outing I went to take the rig back to storage and about a half mile from the storage facility the check engine light came on. I didn't notice any over heating and it was running fine. I looked up in the manual and it refers to the On Board Diagnostics Unit. It mentions a gas cap leak too. Driving home after refilling, I didn't put the cap back on and when I pulled over a few miles later, I noticed my error. These two events were a couple of hundred miles and two days apart, so I can't see that they are related. In storage I disconnected the chassis battery, reconnected it and started the engine. The light was not lit, but I didn't run it for long. Do I need to take it in for service? I thought I might take it for a drive to see if the light comes on again before our next outing. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2014, 05:15 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknKay View Post
After our last outing I went to take the rig back to storage and about a half mile from the storage facility the check engine light came on. I didn't notice any over heating and it was running fine. I looked up in the manual and it refers to the On Board Diagnostics Unit. It mentions a gas cap leak too. Driving home after refilling, I didn't put the cap back on and when I pulled over a few miles later, I noticed my error. These two events were a couple of hundred miles and two days apart, so I can't see that they are related. In storage I disconnected the chassis battery, reconnected it and started the engine. The light was not lit, but I didn't run it for long. Do I need to take it in for service? I thought I might take it for a drive to see if the light comes on again before our next outing. Thoughts?
I just went through the same thing. Unless you have some means to pull up the engine fault codes then I would suggest that to take it in for service. I dropped my coach off at the local Cat shop today and they are going to hook it up to the computer. This will provide a complete history of the engine operations and any codes that were triggered. It could be anything from a bad sensor to other problems that need service. Good luck and let us know what you do and what you find out.

adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:55 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I know in the world of gas vehicles the check engine light will only come on if the problem effects exhaust emissions. I'm assuming that is true for diesels as well since these are Government guidelines. That can be a lot of things from a simple miss fire, a vacuum leak, defective sensor etc, etc. Also when the light comes on the code will be stored unless the problem that caused it gets fixed. Then after so many starts with the same conditions that originally set the code not recurring the code will be erased.

One simple problem would be a detached vacuum line that happened when you changed something. You fix it later because the light came on and you realized the problem.

TeJay
Old 05-13-2014, 11:58 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I called the local Ford dealer and they said to bring it in and they can check it. It takes about 30 starts before it disappears. It could be from the missing gas cap or something else al together. It will be a couple of weeks before I can get it in, so thanks for all the suggestions.

FMCA #341229
Old 05-13-2014, 02:52 PM   #5

If you disconnected the battery to the powertrain there is no use to taking it in. Well I should not say no use because there is the slim chance that a DTC is stored from a first self test. But basicly unplugging the battery will erase any stored DTC's. How the light is set (for pretty much all issues minus throttle body issues I believe) the PCM (engine computer) will detect a problem. It will set a DTC but no light. On the next warm up cycle if there is a fault detected again, the light will be commanded on. The light will be commanded on until a certain amount of continuous drive cycles that have no faults occur the light will be turned off. After 30 or 60 (large amount) of problem free drive cycles the DTC will be erased from memory.

Loose fuel caps will not turn on the engine light. I did double check the Ford wiring diagrams and there is only a canister purge valve. I was almost positive that EVAP was not monitored in the F53's and it certainly appears to be the case. With the long runs for fuel and EVAP it can be a nightmare to keep the system sealed up enough to hold vacuum down to .020" of a hole.

You can have a self test performed but don't be surprised of no issues arise if the battery disconnect was used. Next time keep the chassis powered up until you get it checked out.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:12 PM   #6

What year are we talking about?

I know '99-'04 V-10s don't have an EVAP monitor. Thought newer ones did, maybe not? What did you look up Jim?

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:17 PM   #7

Dang signatureless mobile version. 2007 in your signature. Is that what you looked up Jim?

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
What year are we talking about?

I know '99-'04 V-10s don't have an EVAP monitor. Thought newer ones did, maybe not? What did you look up Jim?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
Dang signatureless mobile version. 2007 in your signature. Is that what you looked up Jim?
Dang you made me look up 4 years of F53 chassis EVTM's. From what I can tell 2011 model year F53 chassis started using EVAP monitoring and control. Pre 2011 there is only a canister vent valve and no fuel tank pressure sensor or vapor management valve for EVAP control.

I originally looked up 2007 F53.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:17 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
If you disconnected the battery to the powertrain there is no use to taking it in. Well I should not say no use because there is the slim chance that a DTC is stored from a first self test. But basicly unplugging the battery will erase any stored DTC's. How the light is set (for pretty much all issues minus throttle body issues I believe) the PCM (engine computer) will detect a problem. It will set a DTC but no light. On the next warm up cycle if there is a fault detected again, the light will be commanded on. The light will be commanded on until a certain amount of continuous drive cycles that have no faults occur the light will be turned off. After 30 or 60 (large amount) of problem free drive cycles the DTC will be erased from memory.

Loose fuel caps will not turn on the engine light. I did double check the Ford wiring diagrams and there is only a canister purge valve. I was almost positive that EVAP was not monitored in the F53's and it certainly appears to be the case. With the long runs for fuel and EVAP it can be a nightmare to keep the system sealed up enough to hold vacuum down to .020" of a hole.

You can have a self test performed but don't be surprised of no issues arise if the battery disconnect was used. Next time keep the chassis powered up until you get it checked out.

Oops, that would explain why the light wasn't on when I restarted after disconnecting. I always disconnect the battery when in storage. I guess the light will come on if a condition exists.

FMCA #341229
Old 06-27-2014, 07:26 PM   #10

I think I have a similar issue. I get the gas pump handle idiot light on indicating emission issue. Like the book says, after some time the check engine light comes on. The rig is two weeks old at this point. Closest dealer is 45 mi away that can lift it if necessary. It's a WGO Minnie 25B (26'). Opted to buy a gas cap @ $29 and have the codes reset. 4 weeks later took another trip. 100 miles later, no problem, but 15 mi down the road the next day and the lite comes on. Cut the trip short and came back home. Got it out of storage to bring it to my house to mount an Ultra Guard on and the light was not on. I had flip the disconnect switch to off and brought it home that way. It goes to the Ford dealer after the 4th.

Butch & Cindy
2014 WGO MW25B
E350 Ford
OTR Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:36 PM   #11

Butch & Cindy
2014 WGO MW25B
E350 Ford[/QUOTE]

First post I see.

If you go to the " User CP" on the left end of the blue bar below your sign in welcome , then to " Edit Signature " on the left side of the page, you can enter your RV's information and not have to type it in every time you post. It will automatically appear below a line as mine does.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTR Again View Post
I think I have a similar issue. I get the gas pump handle idiot light on indicating emission issue. Like the book says, after some time the check engine light comes on. The rig is two weeks old at this point. Closest dealer is 45 mi away that can lift it if necessary. It's a WGO Minnie 25B (26'). Opted to buy a gas cap @ $29 and have the codes reset. 4 weeks later took another trip. 100 miles later, no problem, but 15 mi down the road the next day and the lite comes on. Cut the trip short and came back home. Got it out of storage to bring it to my house to mount an Ultra Guard on and the light was not on. I had flip the disconnect switch to off and brought it home that way. It goes to the Ford dealer after the 4th.

Butch & Cindy
2014 WGO MW25B
E350 Ford
That light indicate a gross evap system leak. It is large enough that the programing believes the gas cap is off. If it is not, there is likely a broken evap line. Seen this a
few times with new motorhomes where the body builders break one of the evap lines.

Tags
check engine light