Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2017, 02:50 PM   #29

Ford Super Duty Owner
Since 1999 until 2017 there seems to be no standards regarding the use of Z-brackets why or how would anybody assume that they are required top and bottom??? From all of the information that sure is not an assumption that I'd make.

Would they add some extra degree of keeping the links connected?? Yes!! It is an extra nut and bolt. Is there any evidence that the links are coming loose?? Not as far as I have read. The links stay tight if they were properly torqued and blue lock tight added. What is coming loose are the rear SB bracket bolts. Besides us (forum members) who else is doing anything to assure that those connections which ARE coming loose are staying on and tight??? Ford isn't doing much about it!!!!

Waiter21, Four or 5 bolted together might work as canoe anchors.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2017, 11:41 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Since 1999 until 2017 there seems to be no standards regarding the use of Z-brackets why or how would anybody assume that they are required top and bottom??? From all of the information that sure is not an assumption that I'd make.

Would they add some extra degree of keeping the links connected?? Yes!! It is an extra nut and bolt. Is there any evidence that the links are coming loose?? Not as far as I have read. The links stay tight if they were properly torqued and blue lock tight added. What is coming loose are the rear SB bracket bolts. Besides us (forum members) who else is doing anything to assure that those connections which ARE coming loose are staying on and tight??? Ford isn't doing much about it!!!!

Waiter21, Four or 5 bolted together might work as canoe anchors.
In my mind anything that would make your motor home suspension more bullet proof is worth doing. We ask alot of those bolts that keep those links holding.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:02 PM   #31

Ford Super Duty Owner
Dan

Can't disagree but until I read reports from owners concerning link bolts loose or coming off I'll error on the side of reason. Why spend $$$ or preparing for something that will/may never happen. It's not like an accident will happen if a link bolt comes off.

I refuse to be like the parents who when their child asked to ride the school bus so they could be with friends instead of them driving her to school every day and they agreed. Then to continue their watchful eye (like it really mattered to anybody but them) they followed the bus all the way to school every day.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:50 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Dan

Can't disagree but until I read reports from owners concerning link bolts loose or coming off I'll error on the side of reason. Why spend $$$ or preparing for something that will/may never happen. It's not like an accident will happen if a link bolt comes off.

I refuse to be like the parents who when their child asked to ride the school bus so they could be with friends instead of them driving her to school every day and they agreed. Then to continue their watchful eye (like it really mattered to anybody but them) they followed the bus all the way to school every day.
You know Tejay I agree that preparing for something that may never happen may be a waste of time. I threw away my fire extinguisher today.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:05 AM   #33

Ford Super Duty Owner
Muleroper;

Personally, I'd hang onto the Fire Extinguisher, you never know when you might have a fire.

As for the "Z" bracket. They're in the pile. I don't foresee ever needing them for their original design, but I know if I throw them away, someone will need one for something, or I'll come up with another project and say: "HEY, I got those "Z" bracket things that might work perfectly for this"

I've always been curious about their addition to the links. Initially it looks like they provide additional structural attach point to the other side of the link, but if the through bolt is tight, the through bolt takes the loads. If the thjrough bolt is loose, the "Z" doesn't pick up the loads, it simply pivots on its mount bolt.

If the through bolt were undersized or soft the bending moment could be a problem that the Z solves, but that through bolt is way overkill for this application.

I don't know. Somewhere there is a Ford engineer that could explain it, but then the followup question would need to be, if the "Z" solved a problem on some years, what was the solution for following years when the Z was not installed?
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:16 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muleroper View Post
You know Tejay I agree that preparing for something that may never happen may be a waste of time. I threw away my fire extinguisher today.
I should have put a smiley face after my remark. Seriously though my thinking was that ford engineered those brackets to strengthen tha bolt against side shear. When you move the bolt to the inner hole you are increasing the side load on those bolts. My 2 cents
Old 08-19-2017, 09:32 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Muleroper;

Personally, I'd hang onto the Fire Extinguisher, you never know when you might have a fire.

As for the "Z" bracket. They're in the pile. I don't foresee ever needing them for their original design, but I know if I throw them away, someone will need one for something, or I'll come up with another project and say: "HEY, I got those "Z" bracket things that might work perfectly for this"

I've always been curious about their addition to the links. Initially it looks like they provide additional structural attach point to the other side of the link, but if the through bolt is tight, the through bolt takes the loads. If the thjrough bolt is loose, the "Z" doesn't pick up the loads, it simply pivots on its mount bolt.

If the through bolt were undersized or soft the bending moment could be a problem that the Z solves, but that through bolt is way overkill for this application.

I don't know. Somewhere there is a Ford engineer that could explain it, but then the followup question would need to be, if the "Z" solved a problem on some years, what was the solution for following years when the Z was not installed?
I believe i read that ford made those links to address the popping sound in the suspension. They may have felt that the bolts were flexing and making a pop sound. Those brackets would help that flexing on a stock sway bar. When you move that bolt to the inside hole the flexing should be worse.
Google Ford TSB 04-11-2 this ford document explains it well.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:03 AM   #36

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I believe i read that ford made those links to address the popping sound in the suspension.
I seen that a few years ago... It still confused me. if the bolt is lose, the Z bracket doesn't do anything.. Both bolts need to be tight in order for loads to transfer to the Z bracket, and if the link bolt is tight, yo don't need the Z beacket.

ANYWAY - As for popping. Mine did this even before I did the CHF. What seemed to stop the popping was new shocks. ( I think there was something in the OEM shocks that was causing it.)
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 04:44 PM   #37

'...if the bolt is lose, the Z bracket doesn't do anything.. Both bolts need to be tight in order for loads to transfer to the Z bracket, and if the link bolt is tight, yo don't need the Z bracket."

It's not quite the same thing...the Z Bracket changes the direction of the load on the link bolt.

Without the Z Link it's a shear force. With the Z Link the bracket is taking half of the load off of the bolt.

If you have them...use them. If the link is hitting the bracket, then you probably don't have the link length correct and putting the link to bar angle to steep (at either fully compressed or extended shock travel).
Old 08-19-2017, 06:15 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
'...if the bolt is lose, the Z bracket doesn't do anything.. Both bolts need to be tight in order for loads to transfer to the Z bracket, and if the link bolt is tight, yo don't need the Z bracket."

It's not quite the same thing...the Z Bracket changes the direction of the load on the link bolt.

Without the Z Link it's a shear force. With the Z Link the bracket is taking half of the load off of the bolt.

If you have them...use them. If the link is hitting the bracket, then you probably don't have the link length correct and putting the link to bar angle to steep (at either fully compressed or extended shock travel).

You are exactly right Dav L