RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2019, 03:53 PM   #1

CHF Question

I’m trying to do the F53 CHF. I started with the rear and have a stupid question. The z bracket does not want to spin at all, much less 180 degrees as necessary to line up with the front hole. Am I missing something? I can’t find an actual walkthrough as everyone acts like it’s so simple to do the fix that no one needs a walkthrough to do it. But I’ve tried spinning the bracket with vice grips and prying and everything. I feel like I’m fighting the rubber in the pivot point. Should this spin? Or what am I doing wrong?

Halpain17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2019, 05:28 PM   #2

Sees maybe I found the issue finally. Looks like mine may be pressed in and have to be completely removed from the rv and pulled apart to realign and repress during install by tightening. I’ll give this a shot.

Old 09-21-2019, 06:39 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
You are on the right track. For some reason not known by the folks here Ford decided to spline the bolt shaft holding the bracket into place. When it is bolted down the splines on the bolt cut matching splines into the bracket and they have to be pried or pressed out.

There seems to be no known good reason for doing what they did. It's Ford they don't have to have a reason. Why do they punch two holes into the SB and never once tell folks what they can do with it???? They have been doing that since 1999 or sooner. That's just 20 years.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:53 PM   #4

Yes sir. Well after I removed the first one I found that I could just set it on my vise with the bracket barely fitting through and tapping the end of he bolt with a hammer. Nocked the whole rear chf out in about 30 mins after I figured that out.
Now if it’ll stop raining I’ll get to the front tomorrow.