Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2016, 09:17 AM   #1

CHF quick advice

I have been greatly educated via this forum and am asking another question on the CHF process. The dealer is willing to move the tie bars to the second (inner) hole but is asking if such an adjustment will affect the front end alignment. Any experience with this issue for those who have done this? Also, doing it on the rear, does is provide additional benefit or does most on the benefit come from the front adjustment? Thanks so much for any quick reply. I need to have this information by Monday. Thanks again.
Vandave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2016, 09:41 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Vandave,

Simple answer is NO!! and Yes. My first reaction is why a dealer would ask if the sway bar change (CHF) would in any effect the alignment. That's like asking if I'm heading out the door to have my oil changed would switching from shorts to bluejeans it any way effect my destination?

If a shop asks that kind of question WOW!! If I were you I'd be a bit concerned about that shop. If you still ask them to do the CHF make sure they use blue lock tight on those bolts and that they are torqued to 66 ft lbs. Just ask them if they know what the torque specs are first. If they don't know then mention it to them and ask that they use some blue lock tight. That's just added insurance so they won't come off some place down the road.

Performing the CHF on the rear will also improve the sway control. If you did them separately you would not notice as much improvement on the second change but it still helps a lot.

If you have any other specific questions just follow up here or send someone a PM.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:42 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Shouldn't have any effect on front end alignment at all.

I assume they are doing the CHF at the rear axle also.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandave View Post
I have been greatly educated via this forum and am asking another question on the CHF process. The dealer is willing to move the tie bars to the second (inner) hole but is asking if such an adjustment will affect the front end alignment. Any experience with this issue for those who have done this? Also, doing it on the rear, does is provide additional benefit or does most on the benefit come from the front adjustment? Thanks so much for any quick reply. I need to have this information by Monday. Thanks again.

How old was the person asking if it would change the alignment.
Neil
Old 10-29-2016, 09:33 AM   #5

This is a stretch speculating about why that question may have been asked. Some people believe alignment can change as weight is added or moved around so it should be aligned as you expect to drive it. Maybe that was the angle the person was coming from and thinking about whether or not the change would impact camber possibly. Pure speculation on my part however.
Old 10-29-2016, 12:09 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
The person asking the question was in no way schooled in the area of sway control or alignment.

Yes it can be and is confusing especially to the untrained individual.

CASTER is the tilt of the steering axis of the king pins fore and aft or tilt. It can be changed by adding or removing shims and by changing the weigh of the coach which in effect causes a change of steering axis.

Think of a king pin as a long shaft that twists left and right as you steer the tires. Zero CASTER means the shaft is vertical. Tilt the top of the shaft towards the rear and you have positive caster. A motorcycle (Chopper) is an example of severe positive caster.

CAMBER The tilt of the wheel in or out at the top. That is only changed if the axle is bent. Not likely with the straight axle on the F-53 chassis.

TOE the angle of the wheels in or out when as viewed from the top of the wheel. That is only effected if the tie rod is adjusted, bent or worn out.

SWAY CONTROL by adjusting the attaching point on the SB (stabilizer bar) is only in play when either the coach tilts from road conditions or from a wind forces pushing on the side and tilting or swaying the coach. When you drive down the road as long a these road and external forces are neutral the SB's could actually be disconnected and you'd never know it.

Another way of looking at the SB's is this. They have to be twisted to be in play. If they are not twisted (loaded up with a force) they just hang there. If one wheel hits a bump that twists the SB. The twisting on the opposite side controls sway. If both wheels hit the same bump no twisting occurs.

Tags
advice