Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2016, 12:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rstefani View Post
which sumo's? the inexpensive ones (around $200) or the close to $600 ones...

Thinking about these for my 22,000 frame 2014 Thor Hurricane 34E.
For your weight do the maxums also you can do the fronts and then do the rear at a later date. Yes they are expensive but they do work.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2016, 11:34 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
I believe they only have one style that fit my rig and they cost me about a grand for all 4 online. I also had the alignment checked and it needed to be corrected.
Many on these forums say that CHF took care of their problems but I needed something to not only take care of the sway but the harsh ride. I took the chance that the sumos would do both and they did. I didn't want to mess with doing a bunch of things buying this and that and still maybe needing to still buy the Sumos or air bags. Debated air bags and sumos for a year or two but decided on sumos after my brothers good results.
tzensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 02:17 PM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Question for you guys: I have the 18,000 F-53 chassis on my Hurricane 27K. I have added Roadmaster Front and Rear Sway bars and reflex steering stablilizer. It handles much better but I still have a really harsh ride because of the California concrete roadways. Will the Sumo's help? Do you think I can get by with the solo units?
Thank you
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev View Post
Question for you guys: I have the 18,000 F-53 chassis on my Hurricane 27K. I have added Roadmaster Front and Rear Sway bars and reflex steering stablilizer. It handles much better but I still have a really harsh ride because of the California concrete roadways. Will the Sumo's help? Do you think I can get by with the solo units?
Thank you
I have the maxims so I'm not sure about the solos but if they do what mine do you will be tickled pink. If I were you I would call super springs 800-898-0720 (they are sumo) and see what they say. When buying them check Etrailer.com for pricing I found them to be the cheapest.
Happy motoring
Just looked up your weight chassis and sumo says SOLO. The maxim is for the 20 to 22000 chassis so I guess this answers your question.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:51 AM   #19

Quote:
Thank you
Swap out your stiff factory Bilsteins first.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:59 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
My coach came with Sumo springs and I'm not sure I like them. When I hit a bump it seems they bounce, then stop quickly, (not smooth). I just remember my 07 as hailing a smoother ride. Maybe it's the Bilstine shocks instead?

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 12:25 PM   #21

LVRVLUVR you tried the Sumo's alone and that worked. Did you try the CHF alone? So the question is how does the Sumo's alone compare to the CHF alone?
emcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 01:55 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jergeod View Post
I have the maxims so I'm not sure about the solos but if they do what mine do you will be tickled pink. If I were you I would call super springs 800-898-0720 (they are sumo) and see what they say. When buying them check Etrailer.com for pricing I found them to be the cheapest.
Happy motoring
Just looked up your weight chassis and sumo says SOLO. The maxim is for the 20 to 22000 chassis so I guess this answers your question.

What is a SUMO - SOLO
Is this a Single Spring system?
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 07:23 PM   #23

Go to superspring.com click on sumo and you will find both type. They call them springs but they arn't. Solos mount on one end and the max mount top and bottom.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:12 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Thank you
I have the 16,000 F-53 chassis on my 2013 Sunstar 26HE. I added Firestone airbags to the suspension and it helped with the ride. Since the airbags, I have also added a rear track bar and a Safe-T Plus.

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:42 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee View Post
LVRVLUVR you tried the Sumo's alone and that worked. Did you try the CHF alone? So the question is how does the Sumo's alone compare to the CHF alone?
I first did the CHF... stiffness started.. didn't really help the sway....

then I added the sumo's... still stiff... so I took out the sumo's .... dorve about 100 milse to st George ut.... and move the chf back to stock...

at that time I noticed that my sway bar was soo tight that I had to get a jack to move it ( it should fall down on it's own)... so I spaced out the bracket...

so may be I could try to add the CHF.... just to see what it does... but it's working real good for a ford right now...
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:51 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee View Post
the sumo's alone is the very best thing you can do tto the ford f53 chassis... as long as they are tuned right...

what I have found to be the best set up is to mount them to where there is 1/2" compression... and to use the longest bags,...

the y have 5 6 7 and 8.2 " and in 3 different durometers

keep in mind that the sumos work like an airless air bag..

but air bags only work to lift.. where as the sumos add gvw... and stop most of the side to side sway

I get either air bags or sumo's for free and have ran air bags for years...

with air bags in a turn... the air in out side gets compressed and allows the air on the inside to expand and you must relley on the sway bar to keep you from flipping the mh over
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis