Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2016, 01:57 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Clicking noise from the steering

I noticed a clicking noise, almost like a crunching noise from the steering at low speeds. I figured I was due for a lube job and an oil change and that should clear things up. I didn't get to the oil change and lube yet, I was trying to beat the cold weather and get the RV cleaned and put away for the winter. While cleaning I found this,

It appears that my steering linkage has a twist to it. Am I seeing correctly? The front wheels were pointing completely straight. The chassis is under warranty, it's parked until spring so Ford can work on it then if this is not right.

Thanks in advanced
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2016, 02:09 PM   #2

Looks like a normal drag link to me.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 03:58 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
It looks normal overall but what about the ends? They seem twisted not flat and straight against their connections.
Old 10-30-2016, 06:19 PM   #4

They are ball and socket joints, sometimes sit to the side, you could probably turn it straight by hand.

Push against the rubber boot. You should feel grease inside it. If not pump some in.

Take a look and picture of the king pin, just a little to the right. There should be 2 grease fittings, 1 on top and one on the bottom. They may need some grease also.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:46 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
They are ball and socket joints, sometimes sit to the side, you could probably turn it straight by hand.

Push against the rubber boot. You should feel grease inside it. If not pump some in.

Take a look and picture of the king pin, just a little to the right. There should be 2 grease fittings, 1 on top and one on the bottom. They may need some grease also.
I'll see if they move by hand and grease them up.

Thanks
Old 10-31-2016, 09:07 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
As stated they are a ball joint type of socket. They will pivot as you see yours have done. That's not an indication that they are bad. Here's how they can be checked.

Take a wide jawed pair of channel locks and place one jaw on the nut where the cotter pin is located and the other jaw on the opposite end of the joint. If you look at the picture you posted the jaws would be placed horizontally. Now squeeze the jaws. If the joint compresses more than 1/8" then it is worn.

Most any joint of that design (Ball) can be checked for wear using the channel locks. Suspension ball joint joints are a little different but if you know what you are doing they can also be checked very easily by unloading the joint and using a pry bar on the tire to check for in and out play.

Your shoulder joint can pivot in a circle but it should not fall out of the socket it which it swivels. That's the looseness or play you are checking.

Tags
noise, steering