Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2015, 01:17 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Cruise conundrum

I have a 2003 F-53 22k chassis. Since I have gotten it I have had intermittent problems with my cruise control. The frustrating part of this vehicles cruise control is not knowing if you have power or not, due to no indicator lamp of any kind. Although I think I have eliminated the power switch over time, reason why...when the cruise cuts out unexpectedly, I can sometimes re-engage it by pushing the set button or the resume. Next frustrating thing is no "cancel" button, as a consequence when I am approaching slower traffic I tap the pedal to cancel. This is part of why I think I know were to head with this. After disengaging this way often times I can not resume or set a new speed for some time, sometimes 10 - 15 minutes or more. Occasionally, when I hit a severe bump, jarring the motorhome, the cruise will just disengage. When that happens sometimes I can immediately get it to resume or re-engage by setting again. I have read many posts and looked at the Ford parts page for the existence of the cut-out switch, looks to me to be a switch located on the bottom of the master cylinder and activated by fluid pressure, I see no mechanical switch listed on the brake pedal assembly. I suspect this switch is my problem, I do not believe it is the switches on the steering wheel.

I would like opinions on this, and to know if anyone else has had the same issue. In doing some online research, I do not believe my model year was involved in the recall for switch and wiring harness issues. I am thinking changing this switch will be my best starting point in trying to track this thing down. Wondering if R&R of the switch will require bleeding of the brake lines? Can't imagine much air could get in line from removal, especially being on the bottom of the master.

Appreciate any comments.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2015, 02:00 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
My guess was the switch on the brake pedal, then you said you can't see one listed. well how does it disengage when you hit the brake pedal?? Usually if it disengages when hitting bumps it's a switch set to close.

As far as the RES button engaging and disengaging that is a newly discovered option. Well new to many of us. Some have it and some don't. It is very nice since to disengage you just hit the RES button instead of the brake pedal.

You don't have the little green light that says you are on CC?? Does it light up when you turn the key on???? That i what is used to se if all lights are lighting.

TeJay
Old 10-22-2015, 03:23 PM   #3

I had a similar situation in my 99 E 450.

After tapping the brake to slow for traffic, it would take a few minutes before it would engage again.

I would sprain my finger pushing the set or resume button. A few minutes later it would work, until I hit the brake again.

Back story, It worked fine for years until I changed the master cylinder cruise control switch for blowing a fuse in "Recall" harness.

After changing the switch it worked fine for a month or so. Then it started doing what yours is doing.

I took the switch back and installed another and it has been fine, from the U.P. of Michigan to mid Florida.

The switch is part # CC1, at NAPA or Advance Auto. It's around 25 bucks.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 03:53 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to 02rld
It is the switch on the brake pedal. MY 2007 f-53 did the same thing. The part is cheap from auto parts stores. It is difficult to find on the brake pedal (next/close to steering column) and appears to be difficult to remove but is not. Only electrical (no brake fluid involved). Use a light and small mirror to get a look at it so you can get the proper one to replace it. Once you buy the replacement it becomes clear how easy it is to remove & replace.
02rld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 05:02 PM   #5

If you decide to change the MC switch, have the new one in hand. Unscrew the old and screw in the new. You only loose a drop of fluid and don't need to bleed anything.

The cruise cutting out on big bumps could be the pedal switch being out of adjustment.

When the cruise does not RE engage, put your foot under the pedal and try. If it works, adjust or change the pedal switch.

Run your VIN to make sure you don't need the recall harness.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:43 PM   #6

The cruise/speed control system changed for the 2006 model year from a discrete module, to part of the PCM. It happened as part of the switch to electronic throttle (drive by wire). I think it's then that the resume switch can be used as a pause button started. It's not in the F53's owners guide, but it is in the Super Duty where the same engine is used.

To the OP:
If you do a google search of "site:irv2.com tderonne cruise OR speed control" you'll find many threads where I posted about speed control, my loose connector in the steering wheel, making my indicator light work, wiring diagrams, etc. (picking "image" will pop the diagrams right up).

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:14 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
My guess was the switch on the brake pedal, then you said you can't see one listed. well how does it disengage when you hit the brake pedal?? Usually if it disengages when hitting bumps it's a switch set to close.

As far as the RES button engaging and disengaging that is a newly discovered option. Well new to many of us. Some have it and some don't. It is very nice since to disengage you just hit the RES button instead of the brake pedal.

You don't have the little green light that says you are on CC?? Does it light up when you turn the key on???? That i what is used to se if all lights are lighting.

TeJay
The pedal switch would have been my first guess, but none listed on diagram, perhaps post about dual purpose brake light switch is the answer, think I will start there. Regarding another post, yes I have tried putting foot under brake pedal and lifting, no effect. The delay in function returning points me more toward the pressure switch, but I agree that the bump thing does not make sense there either. Best first step may be to replace both and see where I end up.

Hope to clarify a point here though, am I correct that there is NO INDICATOR LIGHT for the cruise, either to show power on or engaged? That is what I have read before about this particular year model (2003 22,000 lbs F-53).
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:37 AM   #8

I have NO indicator of cruise control on my 99 E 450. I can only cancel with brake pedal or off button. An indicator would have been a nice feature.

If your brake light switch was the issue, I believe you would occasionly find your brake lights on, when parked.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by trode View Post
Occasionally, when I hit a severe bump, jarring the motorhome, the cruise will just disengage. When that happens sometimes I can immediately get it to resume or re-engage by setting again.
Appreciate any comments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
TeJay
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02rld View Post
It is the switch on the brake pedal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The cruise cutting out on big bumps could be the pedal switch being out of adjustment.
When the cruise does not RE engage, put your foot under the pedal and try. If it works, adjust or change the pedal switch.
Quote:
If your brake light switch was the issue, I believe you would occasionally find your brake lights on, when parked.
trode
If your brake light switch is "out of adjustment" to the point where only a light touch of the brake pedal causes the brake lights to illuminate, (aka:
"light up"), it can also cause the cruise to disengage/cancel when you hit a bump.
However, when the coach is parked an "out of adjustment" brake light switch will not usually cause brake light illumination... unless you lightly tap the brake pedal.
I recently had that same problem with my SOB, (some other brand), coach....Adjusting the brake light switch to make it less sensitive fixed my cruise control problem).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:48 AM   #10

Mel s,

Everything you said makes sense, except that the OP and I have experienced the delay in reactivation.
He and I have both put our foot under the brake pedal, trying to get the cruise to resume. In our case's it didn't help. Only after waiting a few minutes did the cruise resume. Changing the hyd. switch cured the problem on mine.

I'm not sure the brake pedal switch even had anything to do with the cruise control in the older Ford's.

I'll do some research.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Mel s,

Everything you said makes sense, except that the OP and I have experienced the delay in reactivation.
He and I have both put our foot under the brake pedal, trying to get the cruise to resume. In our case's it didn't help. Only after waiting a few minutes did the cruise resume. Changing the hyd. switch cured the problem on mine.

I'm not sure the brake pedal switch even had anything to do with the cruise control in the older Ford's.

I'll do some research.
The cruise is canceled by both brake light circuit and backed up by the pressure switch.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by trode View Post
am I correct that there is NO INDICATOR LIGHT for the cruise, either to show power on or engaged? That is what I have read before about this particular year model (2003 22,000 lbs F-53).
Correct.

(However. The light is there and the functionality is there in the cruise module/servo. There's just no wire between the two. I hooked mine up. That's what I meant in my post above, I wasn't too clear. It lights up when the cruise is engaged. It also blinks when doing a cruise self test.)

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:21 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
The cruise will disconnect whenever you hit a big bump. It is a safety feature built into the F53 since at least 1999.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:00 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
TeJay, Thanks for the comment on the "RES button engaging and disengaging" I used it today on the last leg of our 4 wk trip.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote