Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2009, 06:02 PM   #1

Dash Air Problem

I have an '01 E450 with V10 with a problem with the dash air. I read about this problem somewhere but I can't remember where, and I didn't have the problem when I read it.
After my MH has sat for a while the dash air comes on with a bang coming from under the hood. This only happens on the first startup after a period of inactivity, and any further startups are normal. The air condtioner itself
works Ok in that it seems to be doing it's job.
If I recall correctly the item I read indicated something was sticking or seizing due probably to rust or corrosion.
Can someone set me straight on this? Is this something that will go away by itself or is it potentially a big problem?
Thanks,
Bill
JesseJ1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2009, 06:14 PM   #2

More than likely the "BANG" you heard is the compressor clutch being activated after a prolong period of inactivity. This is caused by corrosion buildup on the clutch friction surfaces and the noise they make when first engaged. The only way to prevent it is to operate the A/C system monthly for a few minutes. This will keep the mating surfaces clean and the system refrigerant seals lubricated. Even in freezing temperatures in Ontario.