Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2008, 07:22 PM   #1

We purchased a used 2002 Pace Arrow in January, and after reading about the recall on the speed control on this board, I checked Ford's website to see if the recall had been taken care of on our unit yet. Ford still listed it as an "open recall", so we scheduled an appt. with the Ford dealer here to have it done today. Well, the service techs looked and looked, and told us they couldn't find the switch that needed to be disconnected for now, until the parts come in. Said that the brake system on our coach looks different than the others they've seen...that it's a "hydrostatic" brake system, and that they don't think it has the same problem that the recall addresses. How can this be? I used the VIN number to bring up the recall on Ford's website...shouldn't it be accurate on whether our coach falls into the recall? Is it possible that either Fleetwood made a change in the system during manufacture, or a previous owner did? And, if so, how do we find that out? Or, could the service techs at the dealership be wrong? Has anyone else run into this also? We're confused and concerned about not having this taken care of, if it really needs it. Any advise on where or how we can find out positively if our coach falls under the recalled vehicles? Appreciate any help or advise you can give!!!
SpoiledRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2008, 07:22 PM   #2

We purchased a used 2002 Pace Arrow in January, and after reading about the recall on the speed control on this board, I checked Ford's website to see if the recall had been taken care of on our unit yet. Ford still listed it as an "open recall", so we scheduled an appt. with the Ford dealer here to have it done today. Well, the service techs looked and looked, and told us they couldn't find the switch that needed to be disconnected for now, until the parts come in. Said that the brake system on our coach looks different than the others they've seen...that it's a "hydrostatic" brake system, and that they don't think it has the same problem that the recall addresses. How can this be? I used the VIN number to bring up the recall on Ford's website...shouldn't it be accurate on whether our coach falls into the recall? Is it possible that either Fleetwood made a change in the system during manufacture, or a previous owner did? And, if so, how do we find that out? Or, could the service techs at the dealership be wrong? Has anyone else run into this also? We're confused and concerned about not having this taken care of, if it really needs it. Any advise on where or how we can find out positively if our coach falls under the recalled vehicles? Appreciate any help or advise you can give!!!
SpoiledRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 03:41 AM   #3

I would suggest you call Fleetwood customer service with your Vin # and see what they might be able to tell you. You can almost bet if your Vin # brought up a re-call notice, it needs to be modified. Ford's liability would be too great to allow a mistake to stand.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 06:28 PM   #4

go to Ford recall site and enter your VIN.for the answer from Ford. I just had my cruise in for the recall ( a 1999 Pace Arrow) about 2 weeks ago.. finally after waiting since the fall for the parts to arrive.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:41 AM   #5

Get yourself to a different dealer. All of these chassis have hydroboost brake systems and they are subject to the recall. I'm doubtfull that they know the front of your coach from the back. Let them go back to working on compact cars and find a dealer with some truck experience.
AndyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:42 AM   #6

The wiring is not easily located on some motorhomes. When I took ours in they had the fix done in a matter of minutes and the tech said he wished they were all that easy to find and fix. He told of one he had done where the wiring was behind the inter fender liner someplace and took him over a hour to get at and install the fix.

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:27 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a posting on the ford chassis forum regarding the cruise control recall. Basically one should not call the dealers as they haven't a clue when parts will be avaliable. I called Winnebago and they gave me a 800# to call at Ford Motor Co for information about recalls and where parts are avaliable. For a more specific answer you can call the Ford Motor Co. 800# (1-800-444-3311) and have your VIN# handy. They will tell you about any recalls involving thier products and if your vehicle has had the work done by a prior owner. They will also locate a dealer that might be close to you that has the parts. They (ford Motor Co)will call you with a dealer that has the parts and and give you the name of the individual at the dealership to talk with. I had my coach done and in talking with the people at the dealership they stated they had parts for the class A motorhomes and were still waiting for the modules for the class C units.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:56 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by codgerbill:
I have a posting on the ford chassis forum regarding the cruise control recall. Basically one should not call the dealers as they haven't a clue when parts will be avaliable. I called Winnebago and they gave me a 800# to call at Ford Motor Co for information about recalls and where parts are avaliable. For a more specific answer you can call the Ford Motor Co. 800# (1-800-444-3311) and have your VIN# handy. They will tell you about any recalls involving thier products and if your vehicle has had the work done by a prior owner. They will also locate a dealer that might be close to you that has the parts. They (ford Motor Co)will call you with a dealer that has the parts and and give you the name of the individual at the dealership to talk with. I had my coach done and in talking with the people at the dealership they stated they had parts for the class A motorhomes and were still waiting for the modules for the class C units. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you registered with Ford even if you are not the original owner you will get all the contact numbers listed on the recall notice. They are very good at helping you find a dealer who can perform the service for you.

Winnebago/Itasca owners should also take the moment to fill out the owner registration even if you are the second owner and beyound warrenty as it makes researching parts so much easier when you don't have to read out your VIN to them every time you call. They can quickly look you up by you name and know exactly what you have and need.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:27 AM   #9

Thanks, codgerbill, I called the 800 number.They called the dealer who disconnected the system and confirmed they had the parts, though they said not in yet. After the call I got an appointment for this morning to have the kit installed.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:39 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:43 AM   #11

Part 11: Took the motorhome to Ford dealer as mentioned above. They had a harness. Did some checking before just installing it. found it was wrong one. Seems 05S harness has the fuse on the ground wire not the hot. The new ones will come with the 08C recall (recall of recall) so they didn't do the install. Called Ford this morning. They said may be June before new kits are received. good thing I don't use cruise control much (not at all now).