Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2013, 05:40 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by justimagination View Post
There's a lot of advise here, some good, some questionable, JMHO though. A little advise for you, coming from someone who has that engine in my m/home. It is the backbone of Ford big blocks, started as the 429 to the 460, a real bullet proof engine.
Go to Wally world and get you an FL1-A Motorcraft filter, and 5 qrts. of the Motorcraft "SYNTHETIC BLEND" 5W 30W oil, comes in a black bottle. Don't waste your $$$$ on expensive SYNTHETIC OIL, it's just worth the extra $$$, again JMHO. These engines are super quite, clean the AC condensor and Radiator real good with a water hose(bug's)and make sure you Overflow tank stays @ the correct level when warm. Wouldn't be a bad idea to get a new radiator cap while your @ it,and a new air filter. These engines do not run hot and as mentioned before are very durable. Your Temp/Oil pressure/ampmeter gauges should run somewhere in the middle. Just wanted to share with you, good luck and travel safe with your new ride.
david g.
The OP stated that the chassis was a 99. That should be a 6.8 V10. The oil filter would be a FL-820 instead and 6 quarts of oil. If the chassis was built on 98, then it would likely be a 460. It would be nice to see something similar come back out for the big stuff.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2013, 05:53 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post

Thought I did but if you want, right from Ford and the owners manual:
Do not use supplemental engine oil additives, oil treatments or engine
treatments. They are unnecessary and could, under certain conditions,
lead to engine damage which is not covered by your warranty

CAUTIONO NOT USE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID SUPPLEMENTS, ADDITIVES, TREATMENTS OR CLEANING AGENTS.

and yes, oil samples can be tested if abuse is suspect of the failure.
Ah see, the devil lives in the details, I asked;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
First off, I assume you have something (scientific or at least credible) to back up "snake oil" and 'void your warranty' type comments, ........ ...
What you (finally) offered was that Ford says "They are unnecessary and could, under certain conditions, lead to engine damage which is not covered by your warranty".

However in LAW they can only void the warranty if they can prove the use of a product CAUSED the damage.

If a company which produces a product it claims cleans engines, but really did damage to them, do you think they'd be around for 60+ years?

BTW, you know Seafoam is about the only one out there that is 100% petroleum products right? There's no Chlorine in it like most of the others. That's why the same product works just as well as a fuel system cleaner.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:57 AM   #31

Quote:
Ah see, the devil lives in the details, I asked;

What you (finally) offered was that Ford says "They are unnecessary and could, under certain conditions, lead to engine damage which is not covered by your warranty".

However in LAW they can only void the warranty if they can prove the use of a product CAUSED the damage.

If a company which produces a product it claims cleans engines, but really did damage to them, do you think they'd be around for 60+ years?

BTW, you know Seafoam is about the only one out there that is 100% petroleum products right? There's no Chlorine in it like most of the others. That's why the same product works just as well as a fuel system cleaner.
Keep using your seafoam. If you believe the bottles, the infomercials, the internet hype, them im happy for you. Maybe since roof shingles and pavement is petroleum based, there could be a mixture with those materials in them to clean our engines. You also had me laughing with the fuel system cleaners.

When it comes down to making my customers vehicles correct the right way and in a way that makes them reliable on their vacations or vehicles for their families, I will stick with what the manufacture states (which I have worked for in Dearborn at SEO). Maybe you should write a letter to the big three and explain to them they are missing out on a great product that "improves and cleans" their engines.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:04 PM   #32

Quote:
Keep using your seafoam. If you believe the bottles, the infomercials, the internet hype, them im happy for you. Maybe since roof shingles and pavement is petroleum based, there could be a mixture with those materials in them to clean our engines.
My oh my this getting funny.

Seafoam doesn't have infomercials, nor really anything else in the way of advertising. They rely almost exclusively on their 60+ year reputation and word of mouth endorsements of folks who have used their products with good results.

BTW, shingles & pavement are made from Asphaltenes, a thick tarry substance that comes up the oil well, along with water, paraffins, aromatic hydrocarbons and alkanes, thus the names "Asphalt" and "Asphalt shingles".

Seafoam does however have enough of a reputation, and community standing that Concordia University, Saint Paul, MN (a Christian school) was more than willing to accept their philanthropy and allow the new stadium to be named the "Seafoam Stadium". Or do you think such a prominent university is incapable of doing its own due diligence and being associated with a 'snake oil' company?

Quote:
Maybe you should write a letter to the big three and explain to them they are missing out on a great product that "improves and cleans" their engines.

I don't need to, Ford's about the only one of all of the big car manufacturers who doesn't market their own brand of engine cleaner and/or oil supplement.

We all know that Ford are top engine experts, heck they even knew better than Navistar, that's why they got rid of the 7.3 in favour of that marvel of engineering, the 6.0.... And then the 6.4..........
Old 05-29-2013, 08:07 PM   #33

Quote:
My oh my this getting funny.

I know, keep going.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:18 PM   #34

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Seafoam does however have enough of a reputation, and community standing that Concordia University, Saint Paul, MN (a Christian school) was more than willing to accept their philanthropy and allow the new stadium to be named the "Seafoam Stadium". Or do you think such a prominent university is incapable of doing its own due diligence and being associated with a 'snake oil' company?
Do you really think they did a check of the companies product before accepting free money? Does the University have a testing program that all probable sponsors go through before taking their money?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:11 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

OK, EVERYONE--please remember the first rule of iRV2: BE NICE. Let's not get into a flame war. Thanks.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:18 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
OK, EVERYONE--please remember the first rule of iRV2: BE NICE. Let's not get into a flame war. Thanks.
Lol....I agree, but it is entertaining! But seriously.... If someone beleaves in something, LET them. On the other hand, if someone who obviously has more than a slight clue if what he is saying expresses his opinion......
Charrua72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:58 AM   #37

Quote:
It is easy. Most harmful sludge/deposits will remain in the oil pan. It does not cling to the moving parts.

Also think about this, you bring your vehicle in for warranty work and I say "oh yea, I will just stick in this aftermarket (non manufacturer approved) can of mystery snake oil in and you will be good as new". How far will that go with the customer or you, do you think?

The part of this rhetoric I find most funny is that while the manufacturers, and even more so, the front line dealer staff who buy into this whole 'nobody knows anything but us' lock, stock & barrel, that same manufacturer and dealers are at the same time are selling these same products and services themselves.

Why? Simple Keep more of the customers CASH!!!!!!!

http://www.bgprod.com/testimonials/fordDiesel.html

Hmmmm, a dealer, one of MANY Ford dealers who offer this exact system to their customers.

It's 'snake oil' when you buy it at NAPA or Pep Boys, it's a highly recommended maintenance routine when the dealer gets your cash to do it.

The really telling comment (from the above link) is "Before we had this service available, we would have to replace failed components while not addressing what we now believe was the root cause of the performance and component failures.".

Wow, the dealer spokesperson stated they were throwing parts at vehicles instead of fixing the problem itself!!!

Happily for their customers they're now allowed to sell 'snake oil'..............
Old 05-30-2013, 06:27 AM   #38

Quote:
The part of this rhetoric I find most funny is that while the manufacturers, and even more so, the front line dealer staff who buy into this whole 'nobody knows anything but us' lock, stock & barrel, that same manufacturer and dealers are at the same time are selling these same products and services themselves.

Why? Simple Keep more of the customers CASH!!!!!!!

BG Products, Inc.

Hmmmm, a dealer, one of MANY Ford dealers who offer this exact system to their customers.

It's 'snake oil' when you buy it at NAPA or Pep Boys, it's a highly recommended maintenance routine when the dealer gets your cash to do it.

The really telling comment (from the above link) is "Before we had this service available, we would have to replace failed components while not addressing what we now believe was the root cause of the performance and component failures.".

Wow, the dealer spokesperson stated they were throwing parts at vehicles instead of fixing the problem itself!!!

Happily for their customers they're now allowed to sell 'snake oil'..............

i cant believe you keep going with this, i assume you are reseller of this stuff. However, Many dealers sell BG and WINN's products because it is a money maker. To the best of my knowledge it is not approved by Ford, GM, Dodge, etc. In the past i have used this stuff and then done engine inspections. There was no difference. Infact the i tried a Winns induction flush because the throttle body was sludgy causing a slight bind at idle. I directly sprayed their induction cleaner on the sludge and 10 min later when the tank was out, the same sludge was there. I had to manually remove it with a rag. How could i in good concious sell this stuff to customers if it does not work. They also claim cleans valves. Why???? How many intakes have you had off on a fuel injected vehicle? I have had many and the valves are very clean. No build up at all with a slight discolor. In fact i have 2000 Lincoln LS motor in the back that spun #7 rod. 130000 miles on it. I have no idea why is spun because the motor was spotless inside. They kept up on maint. The onlything i could think of was the customer said it was misfiring under hard accel. I suspect it may have something to do with igniting the mixture at the incorrect time and stressed the bearing to much.

I dont know you from adam but i when i see good people waist good money on products i see no benifit from. Before i left the dealer to work at Ford SEO, i had several examples of failed transmission seals that were like wet noodles. These cars had the trans service chemicals used in them. I also had examples of the same seals with well over 100K on them that were in like new condition. I currently have a 5R55W torn down with 150K on it torn down. It had a bushing failure (which is rare) but the valve body is very clean. No chemicals needed. Just normal transmission fluid with all the chemicals it needs built in.

It is your money and you can spend it anyway you want. If a customer really wants me to put them in, i will. Will i recomend them, use them in my car,crossover, motorhome, motorcycle, jetski's, giant scale airplane engines, lawn equipt, no. There are to many examples of drive trains going 100's of thousands of miles with the same gas mileage as it was new (due to FI) without this stuff or any stuff in them.

BTW, the 6.0 intake cleaner i talked about ealier was WINNs and the sales guy that was trying to sell us on it was the inventer, at least thats what he said. Our dealer did not buy into it since it did not work at all.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:40 AM   #39

BTW, last i remember that BG induction flush for 6.0L is around $600. We do a lot of truck work and dont see hardly any intake issues where it is needed. When an EGR cooler is replaced, we do clean the intake at that time. I see faults in those statement but that is for another day.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:25 PM   #40

Quote:

i cant believe you keep going with this, i assume you are reseller of this stuff.
Well I'm sure you know the old line about "ASSuming" things. It's true. LMAO.

No, I'm not a distributor, just somebody who's used it in over 100 different gas, diesel, 2 stroke & 4 stroke engines including cars, trucks, boats airplanes, lawn equipment and small engines over 30+ years.

An funny thing happened on my way to this website, I Googled "seafoam engine treatment" and it returned some 35,000+ hits and I browsed through the first 20 pages. Other than a few vague "my wife's cousins sister-in-laws hairdressers next door neighbour said" comments, nobody said they had anything but good results using it.

Oh wait, I'll bet that Billy Mays and his infomercial folks have suppressed the bad reviews.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:24 AM   #41

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
It WAS a long time. Two plus years.

BTW, oil only gets to cylinder walls, etc., AFTER it goes through the filter, can you explain how cleaning the crud down into the pan to be disposed of is a BAD thing?

BTW, Seafoam isn't an 'additive' it's a cleaner. You put it in for just a few minutes / miles before draining and changing the oil.

Of course if you think leaving the debris & crud in the engine is a better way to do it ................. ;-)
Well, I guess working on and building race engines for years disqualifies me from commenting in this discussion. You're right about the oil passage but particles from the top end can get to the cylinder walls..
We've never used any "additives" just good oil in the race engines..
garykk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #42

I wouldn't say it disqualifies you, but I'm not sure how many of those race car engines are left sitting 2+ years with dirty oil in them, or sludge up so bad you could scoop it out of the rocker covers with your finger like it was peanut butter.