Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2016, 08:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
Easiest way to correct it is buy 4 gallons on Mercon LV, drain and refill. Drive to get thermostat to open, drain and refill again. If you want to make sure all the Mercon is out do the procedure again.
Yeah, but will that get rid of ALL the particulate? Doing a double drain, I'd have up to 12.5% of the old Mercon fluid left over, correct?
ualdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2016, 08:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ualdriver View Post
So how do failing solenoids manifest themselves?
By bad or missed shifts. Some gears won't be available because the solenoid that controls it is stuck.

If you are not having any shifting issues, you're most likely fine.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:44 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
It's impossible to say. The problem with the older fluids such as MERCON is that when it was a licensed fluid there was particulate matter in the fluid. It was there by design, and the older transmissions didn't have an issue with it. The newer transmissions have incredibly small clearances in the solenoids, and this particulate matter is just the right size to get stuck in the solenoids, causing poor solenoid operation. Since the entire trans is controlled by solenoids, that's a problem.

I don't know if the Valvoline Dex/Merc has this particulate matter. There is no longer any licensed MERCON fluids. If you read the fine print on the bottle it says, "For use in transmissions that required DEXRON (the GM spec) or MERCON fluids." Who knows what's in this fluid? Nobody except Valvoline. When Ford licensed MERCON, it was known what was in it. Now it literally can be anything that Valvoline wants to sell for use in these older transmissions.
Mark,
What about Amsoil Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid compared to Mercon? I have been using it in my 4R100 for about 3 years. I know it's pricey.
Thank you
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:45 PM   #18

Quote:
By bad or missed shifts. Some gears won't be available because the solenoid that controls it is stuck.

If you are not having any shifting issues, you're most likely fine.
Sorry to pester you Mark, but I don't have the ear of transmission engineers too often : )

Assuming the Jiffy Lube doesn't have the heated fluid machine......So when you say I'm most likely fine if I'm not having any shifting issues, how should I rectify this? Should I let it go? Should I do a couple of drain, drives, and fills? Should I find a Ford dealer that has the heated fluid machine?
Old 04-25-2016, 08:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
Mark,
What about Amsoil Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid compared to Mercon? I have been using it in my 4R100 for about 3 years. I know it's pricey.
Thank you
I'm not a big fan of Amsoil. I'll just leave it at that.

Quote:
Sorry to pester you Mark, but I don't have the ear of transmission engineers too often : )

Assuming the Jiffy Lube doesn't have the heated fluid machine......So when you say I'm most likely fine if I'm not having any shifting issues, how should I rectify this? Should I let it go? Should I do a couple of drain, drives, and fills? Should I find a Ford dealer that has the heated fluid machine?
That's a dilemma. I can argue it either way, change it again, or don't change it again. I'm leaning towards not, because you haven't mentioned any shifting issues. The transmission filter will remove the particulates over time.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:50 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Yeah, but will that get rid of ALL the particulate? Doing a double drain, I'd have up to 12.5% of the old Mercon fluid left over, correct?
Depends on how much Jiffy Lube replaced with the LV.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:53 PM   #21

Quote:
I'm not a big fan of Amsoil. I'll just leave it at that.

That's a dilemma. I can argue it either way, change it again, or don't change it again. I'm leaning towards not, because you haven't mentioned any shifting issues. The transmission filter will remove the particulates over time.
Thanks Mark for letting me know about this.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:41 AM   #22
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Interesting thread.

This one reason when it comes to transmission fluid in my Fords I just stop by my Ford dealer and buy MotorCraft. I was never a fan of mixing brands of oils. You just never know how the different ones will mix with each other.

As for engine oil I go to WM and buy MotorCraft simply because they sell it for $20/gallon. I do put on a ski mask and sun glasses before I go into WM so no one recognizes me, then promptly take a shower because I feel so dirty after shopping there.
RRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:25 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
Interesting thread.

This one reason when it comes to transmission fluid in my Fords I just stop by my Ford dealer and buy MotorCraft. I was never a fan of mixing brands of oils. You just never know how the different ones will mix with each other.

As for engine oil I go to WM and buy MotorCraft simply because they sell it for $20/gallon. I do put on a ski mask and sun glasses before I go into WM so no one recognizes me, then promptly take a shower because I feel so dirty after shopping there.
Even if you only use Motorcraft fluids you can buy the wrong fluid and be in the same pickle.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:44 PM   #24

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Im about to change the fluid on my 1999 4R100 its showing 53000 miles not sure when the last service was I have owned for about 2 years I was leaning toward Amsoil the Mercon replacement one what is the best oil I should be using anyone have any others out there that will out perform Ford stock oil .I have had great luck with Amsoil in other vehicles in the past
BellevilleRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:49 PM   #25

I like Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:15 AM   #26

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Im in Canada so we don't always have a good source for some products I do the Mobile 1 for engine oil from Canadian Tire when on sale but the Mobile 1 tranny fluid is about 16 dollars a litre " ouch " is right also they never stock more than 5 litres or so and I can get a price break on the Amsoil at my local parts dealer for 10 dollars a litre x 20 litres
I will look around a bit to look for Mobile 1 even the WM stores in the area don't stock it
BellevilleRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:58 PM   #27
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Mark, agree about getting the wrong product at the Ford Store.

What is your opinion of mixing brands?
RRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 03:59 AM   #28

Mixing brands wouldn't be my first choice, but it shouldn't cause any problems.

Tags
fluid, transmission