Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #1

DIY F53 track bars front and rear opinions

Hi everyone, I'm truly enjoying these forums and information. Thanks for taking the time to share.
I would like opinions on my plan to built and install track bars front and rear on my recently purchased 2003 Georgie Boy on a F53 V10 chassis. I am skilled in auto mechanics and welding and have some common sense engineering ability. I want to reduce the yaw of the rear end caused by what I believe is the rear overhang of the 34' motorhome and the rear springs inability to hold the axle to frame alignment.
I will build the rear based on the Henderson's rear track bar design which attaches to the passenger side frame rail. I plan to use a chrome moly heim joint on the axle end and a polyurethane bushing on the frame end. I hope to reduce or eliminate any road noise being transmitted to the coach by using one poly bushing. I understand the importance of the longer the bar the better and that the bar should be as close to level as possible at ride level.
For the front track bar, I will copy the the Davis track bar design again with the heim/poly bushing combination. I am thinking of mounting the frame attachment on the driver"s side and the axle attachment on the passenger side.
I remember reading a forum entry on the rear track bar affecting the sway, increasing it somewhat. Sorry I have not been able to locate that post to refer to. My thinking that by reversing the mounting direction of the bars, I would counteract the effects on each end of the motorhome.
Any opinions on this setup are welcome.
Thanks. Bob Buck

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2013, 04:15 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like a plan. Track bars are not rocket surgery or brain sciences if you have the tools and skills needed to create.

I don't see how a track bar would increase the sway of a coach. Should not impact sway at all. But maybe there are some dynamics I am unaware.

vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:19 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBuckster View Post
Hi everyone, I'm truly enjoying these forums and information. Thanks for taking the time to share.
I would like opinions on my plan to built and install track bars front and rear on my recently purchased 2003 Georgie Boy on a F53 V10 chassis. I am skilled in auto mechanics and welding and have some common sense engineering ability. I want to reduce the yaw of the rear end caused by what I believe is the rear overhang of the 34' motorhome and the rear springs inability to hold the axle to frame alignment.
I will build the rear based on the Henderson's rear track bar design which attaches to the passenger side frame rail. I plan to use a chrome moly heim joint on the axle end and a polyurethane bushing on the frame end. I hope to reduce or eliminate any road noise being transmitted to the coach by using one poly bushing. I understand the importance of the longer the bar the better and that the bar should be as close to level as possible at ride level.
For the front track bar, I will copy the the Davis track bar design again with the heim/poly bushing combination. I am thinking of mounting the frame attachment on the driver"s side and the axle attachment on the passenger side.
I remember reading a forum entry on the rear track bar affecting the sway, increasing it somewhat. Sorry I have not been able to locate that post to refer to. My thinking that by reversing the mounting direction of the bars, I would counteract the effects on each end of the motorhome.
Any opinions on this setup are welcome.
Thanks. Bob Buck
You might try this, it is tested and proven by many on the Forums:Cheap Handling Fix

It is free also.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:2012 Ford F-150 XLT 4x4, Stowmaster Towbar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy AD.
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:39 PM   #4

This works for my rear. The rib is what is left of the "T" channel I used. The bar is 3/4" chromoly, along with the rod ends. Plate is 3/8" and the bolts are 1/2". I haven't noticed any vibration, but will pay more attention... now that you've mentioned it. BTW, it is level when off the jacks.

I have one started for the front, but am a little stumped on the frame side mount. I think it needs to come over and down some to clear the spring mount. Waiting on cooler weather to continue.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by navychaps View Post
You might try this, it is tested and proven by many on the Forums:Cheap Handling Fix

It is free also.
For straight line driving without a cross wind, the CHF won't help... except when trucks pass.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post

For straight line driving without a cross wind, the CHF won't help... except when trucks pass.
Yes I intend to do the CHF while I have the rear sway loose. I also have the poly sway bar bushings ready to install.
I had forgotten to mention that my F53 is a 18k so the rear axle only has a differential cover so I will be mounting the axle bracket to the driver's side sway bar mount. I will weld side plates to the bracket to keep it from shifting (twisting) in the mount. I will also upgrade the size and grade of the sway bar mounting bolts.
Dunner, I agree the frame mount for the front track bar is problematic with the front crossmember and suspension clearance issues to deal with. Most commercial designs are 2 parallel L shaped plates on a squeeze bracket on the inside edge of the bottom passenger side frame. I don't like the squeeze bracket but have not come up with a design as yet.
I'll post pictures of my progress.
Thanks for y'all's advise. Buck
Old 07-31-2013, 10:28 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Dont recall noticing any diference in sway when I installed my rear bar, a few years ago.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:48 PM   #8

I'm going to wait till this season to see if I really need a front trac bar. So far, the front wag is minimal, even with a forced sway/wag. I already have a sway control for my 20' enclosed.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:39 PM   #9

I put a rear track bar on mine along with the CHF and new bushings in the rear sway bar. I don't know which help the most, but they made a world of difference. Now I need to fix the hole in the floor on the passenger side that my DW made. Told her there wasn't a brake over on that side.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #10

Made my trac bar as well, ol stick welder & laying around parts I used to make it out of, plus bought some new harder & longer bolts for the rear end housing to replace the shorter ones where the trac bar mount was located.
Spent more time looking at & figuring than it took to build & mount up the whole thing.
Keeping that rear axle from walking side to side under those frame rails, will be the best improvement you'll make to that F53 chassis.

One thing I notice more now, than before the CHF & rear trac bar, I git sleepier sooner now than I did before, because I'm not fighting that steering wheel that youst to keep me awake.
Neil
Old 08-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #11

C-Leigh If you figure out how to make a front mount, make two.
The only thing I had to buy was the longer bolts for the diff. Everything else either came out of my attic or backyard scrap bin.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:09 AM   #12

I've looked at it several times Dunner trying to figure it out & the hard part will be the mount for the axle.
Chassis mount is no big deal, just fab a plate to mount onto the upper shock mount inside the chassis rail, use two or three of those bolts, but the axle, looks like some type of bracket will need to be clamped on.

Anybody have or can take a pic of, the front trac bar from one of the newer model F53 chassis, pic of the mount on the axle.
Neil
Old 08-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #13

I found the rear trac bar worth the time, I also made my own as the front trac bar was already done at the factory. Mine is similar to the one Dunner made.
usinvestment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #14

2011 F-53 22K track bar.

My frame and axle. There are two 1/2" existing holes right where the printing is between the horn and the subber.

My driver's side axle. I made a 3/8" inverted "T" plate that goes where the holes are. Same mount Ford uses.

Close up of Ford mount. Driver's side rear.

Factory drawing. Note the driver's side mount. I don't think it is actually that way, as they show the sway bar going to the track bar mount or it's for a different year. It does show it mounting to those two vacant holes. It looks like the bar is behind the axle center-line.

Tags
f53, georgie boy