Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2008, 10:20 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
I have read a few treads about conventional oil vs synthetic. Our MH is on an F53 chassis with a 6.8 V10. As with most MH owners, I will reach Ford's recommended 5 month change interval before before the 5,000 miles interval. Does using synthetic oil extend service intervals?

If not, why would anyone opt for the higher cost of the synthetic oil?

2007 Ford Explorer V8 Towed
Bobby C is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2008, 12:15 PM   #2

It might technically extend the time period necessary between oil changes, but extending the time period or mileage might also void your warranty. If you read the warranty manual closely you'll see that Ford requires all maintenance items to be performed per the included schedule to keep the warranty in force.

This is also true of some extended service agreements. While I can't confirm the validity there have been postings where claims on things like a faulty refrigerator or air conditioner have been denied because the owner didn't adhere religiously to the maintenance intervals of things like engine oil or transmission fluid changes.

Even if you don't have an extended warranty I wouldn't take the chance for the few additional dollars regular oil changes would cost. Should something go wrong down the road the first thing Ford will ask to see is proof that all maintenance has been done according to the recommended time and mileage intervals.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:03 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use Mobil 1, full synthetic for the superior lubrication qualities as I like my baby's to have the best. I still stick with Ford's recommended intervals though. Never had a lubrication related problem. The cost is not that much more. The peace of mind is worth it.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:33 PM   #4

I use motorcraft 5-20 synthetic blend that can be found at Wal-Mart for under $3.00 a quart. With the blend it is kind of like taking the middle road. My routine is every 6 months or 3000 miles. I will defer from this if I am on a trip in excess of 3000 but less than 5000 and service it upon returning home. As for extended intervals synthetic oil retains its superior lubricating properties longer but becomes contaminated with silica, carbon and combustion acids just the same.
auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:13 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I heartily agree with the Wizard. In addition, my specific reason (I've said this in other forums) is to beat the heat.

I switched my Ford 7.5L engine and tranny both the Mobil 1, because, in addition to superior lubrication, it dissipates heat far better than dino. I can demonstrate the difference, pulling the grade up out of the Columbia River Gorge. Nothing kills a tranny like heat, so if you're towing, you either need a tranny temp gauge, or synthetic.

To repeat myself again, how can new Corvettes, USAF jets and NASCAR all be wrong?
Old 09-08-2008, 04:54 PM   #6

I switched over to Mobil 1 synthetic while my engine/drivetrain still under warranty and using the severe service schedule changed oil & filter every 3,000 miles.

Now with the coach out of warranty I change oil and filter between 4 & 5k miles.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:40 PM   #7

Yes.. If you use a dual filter (regular plus bypass) system, AND do sample testing in lieu of changes.
My 2000 V-10 was switched to synthetic and the dual filter system at 7k. In the next 95k miles I have changed oil TWICE - at 45k when Ford changed the recommended oil to 5/20, and at 97k when the lab recommended a change. Other than that I have changed regular filters and sampled at 5-7k intervals and bypass filter changed at 25k intervals. The sample at 100k did not vary significantly from the sample taken at 10k.
Oil samples ain't cheap, so you don't save much money over standard dino changes. The advantages come from not having to look for a place with facilities to change oil in a MH every couple of months when traveling, and from the ability of the oil to handle heat better. Hopefully longer engine life will be a bonus. Should know in another 8 years!
Old 09-14-2008, 04:47 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
OK, I went to the Ford website and found a section on the F53 Class A Motorhome chassis. I then went over to the MH today a retrieved the books to confirm.

Ford installs Motorcraft 5w-20 Synthetic Blend, Ford Part Number XO-5W20-QSP with Motorcraft Oil Filter Ford Part Number FL-820-S. I found both the oil and filter at Walmart today and purchased them for under $20. I'll use this for now and make a decision later about changing to a full synthetic.

Thanks everyone as usual for your valuable input. Way to go Walmart!

2007 Ford Explorer V8 Towed
Bobby C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:04 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use full synthetic oil in my Harley and am using Mobil1 fully synthetic in my Rv. There are many myths about synthetic oil. http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...ics/Myths.aspx
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:30 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Why extend the intervals? It's not that difficult, or expensive, to change the oil.
ljr869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:19 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42 View Post
Yes.. If you use a dual filter (regular plus bypass) system, AND do sample testing in lieu of changes.
My 2000 V-10 was switched to synthetic and the dual filter system at 7k. In the next 95k miles I have changed oil TWICE - at 45k when Ford changed the recommended oil to 5/20, and at 97k when the lab recommended a change. Other than that I have changed regular filters and sampled at 5-7k intervals and bypass filter changed at 25k intervals. The sample at 100k did not vary significantly from the sample taken at 10k.
Oil samples ain't cheap, so you don't save much money over standard dino changes. The advantages come from not having to look for a place with facilities to change oil in a MH every couple of months when traveling, and from the ability of the oil to handle heat better. Hopefully longer engine life will be a bonus. Should know in another 8 years!
What bypass filter kit did you use?
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:05 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are several factors that affect oil change intervals, Some synthetics have very strong "Buffer" (Anti-Acid) ability and can last longer than others, This is one factor, Other factors have to do with other things in the oil, such as the tendency of some oils to break down lubrication wise, and the general collecting of "Crud" in the oil pan from normal operation and contamination from ring and valve seal blow by and other issues.

Another factor is Warranty: If you have warranty and wish to keep it "In force" keeping to the scheduled change times is suggested.

So, the bottom line in all this is: I don't know.. Some engines you likely should not extend oil change times.. Other engines.. You can.

Suggesiton: If you do decide to extend, spend the 20 or so bucks to get the oil tested by a proper engine life lab.

There is an old joke about a medical computer that a simple drop of urine and it tells you what's wrong with you.

Well the joketer decides to fake it out and collects some of his, wife's kids, pets and a drop of oil from the car, mixes it up and submits.

The device told him what repairs were needed on the car as well as some stuff he did not know family wise.

I outline that joke here (I can not post the entire joke, don't have it on file) because in regard to the engine oil only, the engine life labs are really that good.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:22 PM   #13

Per Cummins it does not offer any advantage.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:41 PM   #14
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljr869 View Post
Why extend the intervals? It's not that difficult, or expensive, to change the oil.
10-4, good buddy.

The engine manufacturers design, build, specify maintenance and warranty the engine.

I see no reason not to follow their recommendations.

I'm not a believer in oil analysis as no one has ever posted about avoiding engine failure by tearing down an engine and found a problem based on oil analysis.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote