Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2014, 05:50 PM   #1

Drive it like I stole it

I have had 3 motorhomes with the Ford v 10 in the last few years and all 3 have had a governor on them that will only allow it to go 74 m.p h or so. I like to drive at least that fast or faster. So I literally floor it the entire time on the interstates and really push the engine. All three have not had a problem with this type of driving but they sound like they are being abused. Anyone else have this experience? My wife says that I drive it like I stole it.
shortboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2014, 05:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortboxer View Post
being abused. Anyone else have this experience? My wife
In answer to your only question. I sincerely hope that few have had this experience. I have not.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:07 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortboxer View Post
I have had 3 motorhomes with the Ford v 10 in the last few years and all 3 have had a governor on them that will only allow it to go 74 m.p h or so. I like to drive at least that fast or faster. So I literally floor it the entire time on the interstates and really push the engine. All three have not had a problem with this type of driving but they sound like they are being abused. Anyone else have this experience? My wife says that I drive it like I stole it.
How do you know it has a governor ? Maybe you have reached the limit where the air resistance trying to push that big box through the air exceeds the available horsepower.

I would also check if I were you to see if the tires you have are speed rated past 70 mph for continuous use.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:07 PM   #4

there is alot of RV that have a max RPM the allison all have them

the 8.1l Rvs all have a OS in the ECM that is mostly a governor and its not to keep your speed down just your RPMs

so i am not sure if your governor is stopping speed or RPM but its some thing to think about
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:41 PM   #5

MHs do not yet have the aerodynamics to allow us to prove that speeding is a skill.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:48 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have read on the forum here that Ford limits the speed to what the tires are rated for. Most RV tires (and LT's) are only built to go 75 mph. I know that's what our 22.5 tires are rated for max speed.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:57 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Driving a motorhome like that is not really anything to brag about. The "R" in Rv does not stand for RACE.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:10 PM   #8

I'm kind of curious as to what kind of gas mileage you get at 75 mph. I do 57-62 mph and get about 6.5-7 mpg (that's including using the generator to power the air conditioners on hot days and a bit of boondocking). That's with a 2011, 22,000 lb Ford chassis pulling a CRV.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:11 PM   #9

Might need to buy a Mustang or something instead of a motorhome that weigh 10s of thousands of pounds, that cost 100s of thousands of dollars, that can kill many people.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:13 PM   #10

Nitrous, boy - You need nitrous!!!
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:14 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Top speed and max RPM are controlled functions on all new ECU equipped vehicles.

These parameters can be "reflashed." This requires a ECU programmer like:
http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/HYP42008.htm

Or this can be done at a shop with a programmer.

A few points of caution...doing this places the life of the engine under your right foot - reflashing the ECU will void any warrantee - reflashing will cause a SMOG check failure if you state requires a SMOG check.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:21 PM   #12

Evergreen Owners Club
74 mph in a gas rv in any rv that's not to smart
Old 01-15-2014, 09:39 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I notice your MH is laying on it's side in your avatar. Resting maybe? LOL

If you have had three of these maybe longevity of service is not in your plans. So drive it like you will be getting another one soon.

I do not know anyone who does this on purpose, but I am sure you are not alone.
Arizona allows 75 mph as do other states. Driving too fast is not always speeding.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:34 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42
..... Driving too fast is not always speeding.
Clearly one of the wisest sentences on driving large heavy vehicles (or any vehicle) ever written.

Unfortunately "cool" sounding cliches like "drive it like you stole it" are what are often quoted and remembered. There may be some validity to not worrying too much about babying a engine - but limits are there for a reason. Disproving or fine tuning maximums isn't what I would call sound driving practice. YMMV

I have driven those Texas Hill Country (and other back roads) - two lanes - 75 MPH limit - with an occasional passing lane. I don't like seeing the back up behind me when 75 is too much for me - but there is no where for me to go, no exit. I will not push my personal limits so those behind me can exceed the posted limits. I'm not taking about keeping up with traffic flow on a open stretch of highway. I'm talking about hilly, winding roads - no shoulders - and the odd passing lane. It is amazing how many are driving every kind of vehicle imaginable like they were psychic to what's around the bend, over the hill, and like they stole it.

Steve
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote