Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2012, 06:58 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dual tire question

I have been searching and have not found info to my question. I'm sure it's here somewhere .

I am curious / concerned about distance between the tire bulge of my duals. I recently replaced all 6 tires with TOYO open country 235/85R /16 tires. I have 80 psi in them, the coach is not loaded for travel, has about 80 gallons of water total in the three tanks, and 25 gallons of gas. The space between the bulges is about 1 inch. The Toyos are not steel sidewall, I researched them and found happy users.
First time owner so I'm concerned about everything and learning as I go. No trips yet doing a lot of little knick / knack repairs to get it right. Planning a trip from SW Florida to Seattle in September.

1996 F53, 33ft Pace Arrow Vision, 68,000 miles.
Brockx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2012, 07:23 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Brock,
Hello, If you replaced the tires with the same number (235/85R/16) tire you are fine. you can not go wider than the model you have calls for. where the old tires 235/85R/16?? Look on the sidewall of the tire it will have a min pressure and a max pressure ...... min is for a light load, max is for full load.. 1 inch does sound like it is a little close but you may not have enough pressure in the tire for the load. hope this helps
Sunkist5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:38 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm not sure if the tires that were on it were Radials. Other than that the size is correct as to what was on it and the chassis tire info. Going to go over to the storage today and will check the plate for "R". Pressure is correct to tire and plate.

thanks
Old 07-10-2012, 12:40 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
I'm not sure if the tires that were on it were Radials. Other than that the size is correct as to what was on it and the chassis tire info. Going to go over to the storage today and will check the plate for "R". Pressure is correct to tire and plate.

thanks
Checked the chassis plate and it called for 235/85R/16E @80#s.

The Toyo tires I installed are as specified and have 80 psi in them.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
Checked the chassis plate and it called for 235/85R/16E @80#s.

The Toyo tires I installed are as specified and have 80 psi in them.
From the TOYO site:
Quote:
Inflation Pressure Safety Margin
Toyo Tire does not recommend an “inflate-to-the-load” policy for RV tires. Tires that are inflated to accommodate the vehicle’s actual loads do not have any inflation safety margin. Consequently, even a minor loss of air pressure will cause the tires to be under-inflated and overloaded. Toyo Tire’s policy is to observe (as a minimum) the tire pressure established by the vehicle manufacturer as
indicated on the tire information placard. There are multiple reasons why a safety margin
(by inflation) makes sense:
• All tires lose about 1-1.5 PSI per month due to natural permeation of the tire’s internal air pressure through the tire’s rubber membrane.
• In the event of slow air leaks from punctures, an inflation “reserve” may allow detection and repair of the leak prior to reaching a dangerously low inflation level.
• A safety margin is prudent for users who are apathetic regarding tire inflation maintenance.
This is completely different than other manufacturers, but why do they go ahead and post charts with different loads/pressures for RV's when they say specifically not to use them?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:11 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The OP has a valid concern.

And, I know that tire companies measure of a tire will vary from brand to brand...I have seen it with my own eyes. Three different brands of tires - all labeled the same size - but all three were different.

One inch seems close, but if they aren't touching, should be OK. Under load of impact, the walls will deflect into the other tire, but that is only a short bump. Should be no problem.

There is another concern for having such a close gap. Your duals might pick-up a rock easier...and when you speed-up the rock goes flying. So, like us with 4X4 trucks with dual rears - you may consider a physical check before hitting the highway, if/when you had to drive on a gravel or unimproved road.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:37 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Brockx I wouldn't worry about it. I have the same size tires on my coach and have never had a problem with them touching.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:48 AM   #8

Gone 53k miles like this, no problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0034.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	572.7 KB
ID:	23421   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0035.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	536.7 KB
ID:	23422  

DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:05 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf3504dr View Post
Brockx I wouldn't worry about it. I have the same size tires on my coach and have never had a problem with them touching.
Thanks for the input. I'm concerned about further spread as I start to load the coach. Without a doubt I have some NuBee jitters, flamed by the poly sidewalls of the Toyo's.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:12 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDee View Post
Yipers!!! that is close!! but obviously workable.

However; those look like pretty stout tires. I will get a picture up by the week-end. I have a large gap above centerline and lot of tire bulge at the bottom. Kind of like barstool over hang.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:38 PM   #11

A better shot
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0036.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	439.3 KB
ID:	23424  
Old 07-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #12

Quote:
A better shot
Looks like my gap, or lack of. I changed from Goodyear to Michelin but used the same exact size. I don't know if they hit at all but I watch the temps with my tire monitor.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:49 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:

That's about what my motor home and F350 Dually look like.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:44 AM   #14

As long as there IS a gap we're ok.

Back in the 16.5 days a friend put on too large tires (8 or 8.50) on his Cl C. He showed me his nice new tires and they looked kinda plump so I took a look. Sure enough at rest they were touching. I advised him to have this dangerous condition corrected but he knew better.
On local trips he had no issues but every time he'd take a long trip he'd lose at least one rear tire..only the rear. He never could see the connection and would not listen to anyone even though it was explained in detail.

We know better