Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2018, 05:06 AM   #1

E450 caster bushings.

I have a 2017, E450 chassis that I want to have the caster checked and adjusted to 6 degrees.

Will I need new adjustable bushings, to give the shop to do this, or do they stock them.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2018, 06:29 AM   #2

Most likely you will, just had mine done at a local ford truck dealer 313.00 for the new bushings and alignment
Dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:05 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine is getting aligned now. The shop had the bushings on hand. To get over 5.0 most likely will need them. They sell them on Amazon and other websites
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:37 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
All of which begs the question, why are you folks adding caster. What trait are you trying to correct or enhance? I know what caster does, just wondering why you want more?
Old 11-07-2018, 01:54 PM   #5

http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158832

E350/E450 Handling and Caster
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:58 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
It places the weight behind the contact area of the front tire which keeps the wheels tracking straight down the road. The same thing happens when you comes out of a turn. As you drive forward the weight pushes down on the tires and the SW and tires almost return automatically.

A road grater is another example. As the front tires are turned the tires seem to flop out to the side. As they are grating the dirt roads the weight of the grader/engine makes it much easier to track straight which is what it has to do to grade a road straight and flat.

When you were a kid you could ride your bicycle with no hands because you had some positive caster. If you had zero caster it would have been near impossible to ride with no hands.

Some folks will tell you if the caster is to positive it will make it harder to steer. Well that's true except you have power steering and it won't be harder to steer.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:18 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Correct caster on a E450 is night and day, a lot of folks will back me up on this.you need at least 5 degrees and it was I'll make you say why I'd I wait so long
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:15 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
As I said, I understand caster, along with suspension geometry in general. But in reading Twinboat's op it sounds like he's looking for special parts to get to a number that is beyond what the stock front end normally can be adjusted to. So is more better, beyond the original design?
Old 11-08-2018, 07:18 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Belay all that, the referenced thread answered my question and more!
Old 11-08-2018, 07:53 AM   #10

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I have a 2017, E450 chassis that I want to have the caster checked and adjusted to 6 degrees.

Will I need new adjustable bushings, to give the shop to do this, or do they stock them.
Ask the alignment shop when you make the appointment. If they are doing alignments on these things, they will very likely have the bushings on hand or have them locally available. They are a common part.
oldecmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:35 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ford spec is you can go as far as 6 degrees, has mine wa guy out to 7 degrees and dialed it back go to 5 degrees
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 03:28 PM   #12

I bought the adjustable bushings and will take it to a shop. My question is, the bushings only go to 4 degrees caster so how can you get to 5+ degrees? Is there a certain amount of caster already built in to the suspension?
lgcotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 02:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgcotton View Post
I bought the adjustable bushings and will take it to a shop. My question is, the bushings only go to 4 degrees caster so how can you get to 5+ degrees? Is there a certain amount of caster already built in to the suspension?
You have probably figured this out by yourself by now.

At any rate, it appears Ford ships the chassis with fixed (non adjustable) inserts that position the top of the upper ball joint in the center of the upper cavity. This setting will produce from about +3 to +4 or so degrees of caster DEPENDING on the fore/aft nose attitude of the assembled vehicle.

The adjustable sleeves, when set to 0.0 degrees replicates the setting from the factory. By adding +2.0 degrees to the existing +3 to +4 you end up with +5 to +6 again DEPENDING on the nose up or nose down degrees of the final assembly.
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 03:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgcotton View Post
Make dure the shop understands whst you want and how you want it.

I took bushings to a Ford dealer that does heavy trucks, explained what i wanted.
Went to pickup, they said alignment was good, no print out, i asked for a printout and to have them set it to +6, went next day to pick up and got a bunch of bs about it would cost several hours labor, i took my printout and left.

Still need to install them but at least I have baseline to get the inital setting.

Instructions in the bushings tell you how yo set them based on initial readings
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e450