RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2015, 06:16 PM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
E4OD Trans Service.

I have a 1997 F53 Chassis with the E4OD Trans.
I am going to service the transmission next weekend and was wondering.

Does anybody know if the torx converter has a drain plug? I have seen drain plugs in some 1996 models. Any help would be appreciated as I live out of town and would like to buy only what I need for oil. I have the manual and know how many quarts I need if the torx is drained. Not sure how many needed without draining the torx.

I have serviced auto transmissions before but not the E4OD.

Thank you

narampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2015, 06:32 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
All TC made after April 2002 do not have drain plugs. So if the transmission was redone after that date with a new TC it may not have one. There would be some over lap for old stock.

The bottom line is nobody can tell you if your TC has a drain plug or not.

subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by subford View Post
All TC made after April 2002 do not have drain plugs. So if the transmission was redone after that date with a new TC it may not have one. There would be some over lap for old stock.
That date was actually August, 2001. At that time the plants were running flat out. There were no old stock parts, everything was used as fast as they were made.

I often visited both the transmission plant in Sharonville, OH, and the Kentucky Truck plant where the trucks were built. They are 90 miles apart.

At the end of the transmission assembly the transmissions are put on a hot test stand and tested at about 200F. When the transmissions were being bolted to engines at the truck plant they were still noticeably hot to the touch!

Chances are you have a drain plug in the torque converter.

You can do this procedure with or without a drain plug and change all of the fluid in the trans and torque converter. It says 4R100, but the E4OD works exactly the same. Changing ATF: 7.3L PowerStroke Engine and 4R100 Automatic Transmission. - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Old 04-07-2015, 07:02 PM   #4

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
That date was actually August, 2001. At that time the plants were running flat out. There were no old stock parts, everything was used as fast as they were made.

I often visited both the transmission plant in Sharonville, OH, and the Kentucky Truck plant where the trucks were built. They are 90 miles apart.

At the end of the transmission assembly the transmissions are put on a hot test stand and tested at about 200F. When the transmissions were being bolted to engines at the truck plant they were still noticeably hot to the touch!

Chances are you have a drain plug in the torque converter.

You can do this procedure with or without a drain plug and change all of the fluid in the trans and torque converter. It says 4R100, but the E4OD works exactly the same. Changing ATF: 7.3L PowerStroke Engine and 4R100 Automatic Transmission. - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Thanks for the info. I hope I have a plug as I will be doing this alone and really don't want to run it as in your supplied info. I could run the hose into a container on the drivers side so that I could see when to shut it off.
narampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:08 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
That date was actually August, 2001.
I was not sure on the date but after you get passed 70 years old the dates get a little fuzzy.
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:50 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to HotMech
I called my local converter rebuilder, and asked him about the drain plug, my '02 didn't have one. He said drill it and put one in. Ok so I know how to drill and tap a hole, done. works great. Even used the plug Ford Sells for replacement. K.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:49 AM   #7

My 1999 has one.

spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service