Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2017, 08:35 AM   #1

Electric brake boost

I have a 2014 F53 22K chassis. The electric brake boost pump runs for 1-2 seconds when I first start moving, usually within a few 100 yards and I'm not using the brakes at the time it does it. I'm not sure that it does it every time I pull out but it does it quite often. It doesn't do it just starting the engine and idling for any length of time. It just seems odd to me that it does this. If there are any Ford guys out there that has an explanation for this I would appreciate it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2017, 08:42 AM   #2

Your brake booster is normally powered by pressurized fluid from the power steering pump. The electric pump is there to provide emergency power in the event of a power steering pump failure.

If yours is running while driving, then something is wrong with the power steering system. First thing to check is power steering fluid level. Other possibilities are kinked power steering hoses or crud in the system.

jmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:05 AM   #3
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
This might be related. Take a look:

On my Mirada, I had an occasional hydro-boost pulsating problem I could feel the boost kicking in and out when doing mild braking. My Mirada used an accumulator for emergency, not an electric pump.

Coming out the bottom of the power steering fluid reservoir tank is a large hose. This supplies fluid to the power steering pump. About 6 inches below the reservoir, the hose had a kink in it where it makes a sharp turn just as the hose passes through an opening in the firewall. This kink was restricting the fluid to the power steering pump and causing the hydroboost accumulator to kick in and out, this was the pulsing I was feeling in the pedal.

The hose has a protective wrap on it, so the kink was hard to see. I literally discovered this by accident while figuring out how to drain and flush the steering system.

I posted photos and text on my web site.

Hydro-boost brake pedal occasionally pulsing 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PowerBrakes_6_800.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	173528  
Old 08-20-2017, 08:50 PM   #4

Yep. That's what I was talking about. See post #2.
jmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:14 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies. It's been a busy weekend and I'm hoping to check for a kinked hose tomorrow. Will update then.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:22 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Normally, the engine hydraulic pump supplies pressure for power steering and power brakes. The electric pump will come on when the ignition switch is on and there is no hydraulic pressure. (As when you turn on the switch and the motor is not running.) The main function is when you are driving down the road and the engine dies at fifty miles an hour. You can imagine how impossible it would be to steer and brake a fully loaded motorhome in that condition. I believe your problem is the pressure switch to the hydraulic system is corroded or going bad. As the others said, check the hoses and if they are O.K. , then check the switch.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:03 PM   #7

The pump doesn't automatically run if the steering pump fails. It needs two inputs.

First it needs a brake pedal input and then it will run, if there is no power steering pressure input.

You could have someone follow you to see if the brake lights are lighting when it happens. That doesn't explain the pump running though.

Are there any wires getting hit by the gas pedal when you press it ?

Are you sure it's the brake pump and not the belt slipping.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:38 AM   #8

Had time to check things out this morning. The sound is definitely the pump running. My pump will run even with the ignition key off when you push on the brake pedal. There are two hoses from the bottom of the reservoir. The big one feeds the input of the hydraulic pump and was ok. The small one is the return line from the brake master cylinder. That return line had a small kink between the master cylinder return and the oil cooler up front. The line from the oil cooler back to the reservoir was fine. I doubt a kink in the return would be an issue but time will tell. We are planning a small trip next week and if it happens again I will take note weather it happens during idle or acceleration. I believe it only happens with engine RPM above idle but I'm not sure. I only happens once a day in the morning when we first pull out. Thanks for the suggestions and with update everyone later.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:51 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The pump doesn't automatically run if the steering pump fails. It needs two inputs.

First it needs a brake pedal input and then it will run, if there is no power steering pressure input.

You could have someone follow you to see if the brake lights are lighting when it happens. That doesn't explain the pump running though.

Are there any wires getting hit by the gas pedal when you press it ?

Are you sure it's the brake pump and not the belt slipping.
If you turn on the key and do not start the engine, You DO NOT have to push the brake pedal.The pump will come on as soon as you turn the key on.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:34 AM   #10

Update, Made a short trip last week back in the mountains. Didn't hear the pump run when we left home. Leaving the camp ground we had to go 4 miles to the upper area to dump and after dumping It ran once while idling thru the campground before we got to the main road. Guess I will stop at the local Ford truck garage and see what they have to say.

Tags
brake, electric