Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2018, 08:16 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Emergency Message to ALL F-53 Owners

Sorry but I had to get your attention with that Header Title.

A few here that own F-53 think that Brake fluid replacement is not needed as long as the tank is full of fluid.
NOT TRUE!!

Some people think that the Brake system is an air tight system.
NOT TRUE!

Some think that brake fluid doesn't need to be replaced until brake replacement. It will stay clean and clear forever.
NOT TRUE!

Some people think a large heavy vehicles will always stop on a dime no matter the age or miles.
NOT TRUE!

Sorry for these statement but many do not read their Ford Owners manuals and wait until something goes wrong and blames FORD for not doing something.

Please read your Owners Manual.
Here is Page 155 from my 2012 Owners Manual and says that
" Brake Fluid in Motorhomes need to be replaced every 2 years".
I flush and replace all my fluid every 2 years because when I want to stop my big heavy box I want it to stop and not KILL ME or someone else!

So if you get a little better educated about your F-53 and how to maintain your Brake system I have accomplished my mission.

Thank you for your attention and you now may return to your reality that my motorhome will run forever without any problems.

Have a great day!

Iggytech
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	215623  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2012_Motorhome_ChassisV2.pdf (1.22 MB, 53 views)
IggyTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2018, 08:26 AM   #2

Good point sir.
I wonder if time on the brake fluid will deteriorate it's performance??
Guess I will look that up.
Thanks for making this point. I believe it's one of those things we totally forget about unless someone or a shop reminds us.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:42 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge68474 View Post
Good point sir.
Thanks for making this point. I believe it's one of those things we totally forget about unless someone or a shop reminds us.
The main danger is moisture in the brake fluid. As the poster said, The system is not closed. There is a vent in the master cylinder cap. Every time you step on the brakes a small amount of air is pulled into the reservoir. Any moisture in the air will mix with the brake fluid. Ford test suggest it takes more than two years for the moisture to build up in the fluid. When the brake fluid gets hot, the water turns to steam and pushes the fluid out of the brake line. When you hit the brakes The pedal goes to the floor and you have no brakes.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:43 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Iggy and Thank you for keeping us informed now my Q I don't have a pressure bleeder any more what is the BEST and Correct way to renew Brake Fluid with ABS System
Thanks George

2013 Monaco 33 SDF 2002 Saturn LW 200 as a Toad
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:39 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm trying to keep two forums updated on the Ford F-53 Brakes.
See and read more at this link.

Emergency Message to ALL F-53 Owners - Forest River Forums
Old 08-19-2018, 10:41 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge68474 View Post
Good point sir.
Time is a factor (dirt, usage, stuff inside system already) as well as moisture content all contribute in lower performance of the fluid to do its job.

Read more here.
Emergency Message to ALL F-53 Owners - Forest River Forums
Old 08-19-2018, 10:56 AM   #7

Dot 3 and 4 brake fluids are hygroscopic meaning they absorb moisture, which is why a fluid change every 2 years is recommended.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 03:05 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
Dot 3 and 4 brake fluids are hygroscopic meaning they absorb moisture, which is why a fluid change every 2 years is recommended.
100% correct.

Next brake fluid change I'm asking my Ford guy if he would go from DOT 4 to DOT 5.1 which is compatible.
Higher boiling point.

What is the Difference between DOT 4 and DOT 5.1 Brake Fluid?

DOT 4 and DOT 5.1 are both glycol-based brake fluids and are used widely in the automotive and cycle industry. They are controlled by standards set out by the Department of Transportation (DOT) - hence the name.
The main difference between these two brake fluids is in their boiling points. Part of the standards that need to be met by the manufacturers of DOT fluids are the minimum dry and wet boiling points. These are the minimum temperatures that the brake fluid must perform at before the brake fluid starts to boil, which can lead to complete brake failure.
Let's take a look at the minimum boiling temperatures of DOT brake fluid as specified by the Department of Transportation.

Remember, these are only the minimum standards. Brake fluid manufacturers can and often do improve on these figures and it is possible to find DOT 4 brake fluid with a higher boiling point than some DOT 5.1 fluids on the market.

Since DOT 4 and 5.1 are both glycol-based brake fluids they are compatible with each other, which means they can be readily mixed without harming your brake system.

It is important never to mistake DOT 5.1 (glycol-based) with DOT 5 which is silicone-based and should never be mixed with any other DOT fluid.
So just which brake fluids can you mix without causing harm to your brake system? Let's take a look at the chart below.

Here you can see that silicone based DOT 5 is the odd one out and is not compatible with any other DOT brake fluid. By mixing DOT 3, 4 and 5.1 brake fluids, assuming it is fresh fluid, the worst thing that can happen is a drop in the boiling point of the whole fluid.
Some brake manufactuers, such as Hayes and Formula, pre-fill their brakes with DOT 4 brake fluid from the factory. Others including Avid and Hope, choose to use DOT 5.1 in their brakes. Many riders with DOT 4 in their brakes will opt to bleed with DOT 5.1 to benefit from the higher boiling point and improved heat resistance.
Old 08-19-2018, 03:22 PM   #9

Honestly it’s not just the F53. People with Workhorse chassis need to take heed as well. Many think that replacing the calipers as part of the recall was the end of their troubles.

I found out the hard way that not only is it important to replace the fluid it should be bled every year in between as well. Had to replace 4 calipers.

P.S. it’s not just motorhomes. I have some older vehicles I had to replace calipers due to swelling. The south is one big ball of humidity and it gets everywhere.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:03 PM   #10

Lost brakes on my first RV. Stop-Go traffic for hours down in Florida during summer. Toward the end of the day, pushed down brake pedal, NO BRAKES. Pedal went to floor. Luckily, there was nothing next to me on the right side except grass. I swerved off the road and stopped using ebrake and downshift to 1st.

Brakes came back rather quickly after stopping. No loss of fluid, no other issues. Brakes were fine after that. I did not know anything about changing fluid so hard to say how long fluid was in it, perhaps original.

I change the fluid every 2 years now.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:45 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Iggy Tech, thanks for the ALERT!!! Lets look at some of the history regarding this topic.

I have worked on my vehicles since I began driving at age 16 in 1960 and continue to do so today.

My profession was as a HS automotive instructor which I did for 35 years. Typically back in the 70's and 80's the industry standard for cars/trucks brake fluid replacement was NEVER. I don't recall ever reading an article or heard any discussions that recommended a complete brake fluid system flush.

All we did was replace lost fluid when we serviced front brakes around 35,000 to 40,000 miles and about double that mileage for the rears. More fluid was flushed through the system if we serviced wheel cylinders or calipers as disc brakes became more of a standard.

My first 10 years teaching were in Detroit and many of my Summer vacations were often spent in attending the many clinics offered in the area. I attended many brake clinics over those years and it WAS NOT an industry standard to flush brake systems. I retired in 2006 and remember around the mid to late 90's hearing discussions regarding flushing brake fluid on a time schedule. But again there was no big swift switch to a routine or scheduled brake system flush service.

In the last 10 10 15 years yes we are now hearing and seeing a call for a scheduled complete system fluid flush. The last discussion I recall the recommendation was to perform it on a 2-3 year cycle.

There have been several threads on this exact topic and it has become more widely known, accepted and performed by many owners who frequent these forums.

Also consider this FACT. The brake fluid is the only fluid that is widely used and it does not circulate, is not filtered and absorbs water which causes internal rust. It makes perfect dense to flush it.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:19 AM   #12
RV LIFE Support Team

We bought some test strips and test our brake fluid every year.............

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:10 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
I should do mine, its probably never been done. Since I'd need to bleed the brakes anyway, it would probably be a good time to replace the hoses..

If the weather stays nice, maybe I'll do this fall
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Iggy Tech, thanks for the ALERT!!! Lets look at some of the history regarding this topic.

I have worked on my vehicles since I began driving at age 16 in 1960 and continue to do so today.

My profession was as a HS automotive instructor which I did for 35 years. Typically back in the 70's and 80's the industry standard for cars/trucks brake fluid replacement was NEVER. I don't recall ever reading an article or heard any discussions that recommended a complete brake fluid system flush.

All we did was replace lost fluid when we serviced front brakes around 35,000 to 40,000 miles and about double that mileage for the rears. More fluid was flushed through the system if we serviced wheel cylinders or calipers as disc brakes became more of a standard.

My first 10 years teaching were in Detroit and many of my Summer vacations were often spent in attending the many clinics offered in the area. I attended many brake clinics over those years and it WAS NOT an industry standard to flush brake systems. I retired in 2006 and remember around the mid to late 90's hearing discussions regarding flushing brake fluid on a time schedule. But again there was no big swift switch to a routine or scheduled brake system flush service.

In the last 10 10 15 years yes we are now hearing and seeing a call for a scheduled complete system fluid flush. The last discussion I recall the recommendation was to perform it on a 2-3 year cycle.

There have been several threads on this exact topic and it has become more widely known, accepted and performed by many owners who frequent these forums.

Also consider this FACT. The brake fluid is the only fluid that is widely used and it does not circulate, is not filtered and absorbs water which causes internal rust. It makes perfect dense to flush it.
I think a lot of us are, were in the group that you explained above and most probably never had an issue due to the brake fluid not being changed either. I'm not against changing it but do think every 2-3 years is far more frequent then needs to be done. Manufacturers cover their butt which is why they probably say every 2-3 years and in the worst possible conditions is probably when you should. It also brings work into the shops which we all know dealers make a lot of money doing these kind of jobs. If I change a brake hose which I do at least every 10 years or so, I bleed the brakes which gets new fluid in the system and I'm comfortable that I will be ok with that.JMHO