Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2018, 09:51 PM   #1

Engine Noise Reduction Ford V10

We've had our 2014/15 Fleetwood Storm 32V about a month. We bought it with 2100 miles on it and we've since travelled about 2000 miles in it. One obvious distraction is engine noise. I've been looking for methods to reduce the noise.

We are planning a three week trip the end of this month. I'm curious about methods others have used to reduce the engine noise? Are there any recommendations you may have to help solve this problem before we leave?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and responses.
Imatraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2018, 10:15 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Slower speed and less RPM's is the only answer.
IggyTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:29 PM   #3

Took out my seats. Laid sound deadening product on cab floor. A layer or two under engine cover. A layer under pass floor.

Cut sound, including the "my feet are hot" from the passenger...
Do26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imatraveler View Post
We've had our 2014/15 Fleetwood Storm 32V about a month. We bought it with 2100 miles on it and we've since travelled about 2000 miles in it. One obvious distraction is engine noise. I've been looking for methods to reduce the noise.

We are planning a three week trip the end of this month. I'm curious about methods others have used to reduce the engine noise? Are there any recommendations you may have to help solve this problem before we leave?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and responses.
Dynamat the front cab area, especially under the doghouse.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massparanoia View Post
Dynamat the front cab area, especially under the doghouse.

Dynamat? Is that a sound baffle or sound proofing? Where can I find it?

Thanks.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:30 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I installed Dynamat on the inside of the doghouise. Much quieter and cooler..

Sound deadening and heat shield – 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imatraveler View Post
Dynamat? Is that a sound baffle or sound proofing? Where can I find it?

Thanks.

Yes it’s a soundproofing, I put Dynamat on the doors as well. Under the doghouse I added a second layer of Dynaliner foam over the Dynamat.
http://www.dynamat.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2018, 10:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombsy View Post
Yes it’s a soundproofing, I put Dynamat on the doors as well. Under the doghouse I added a second layer of Dynaliner foam over the Dynamat.
http://www.dynamat.com

Thank you. For my Ford V10, F35 then, what size package would you recommend for sound proofing under the "dog house?"

Same with Dynaliner foam. Sounds like it works well and am anxious to do the job. Any other tools or directions needed to install?
Old 07-02-2018, 10:32 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Consider a Five Start Tune. All but eliminated the high revs from my V-10 and quieted the cab considerably. The Dynamat is a great idea as well although since I did the Five Star Tune I don't see the need at this time. Also helps with acceleration, reduces downshifts, and just makes the F-53 a pleasure to drive. A Five Start Tune is a computer tuner that you download via the OBDC port. It stored the stock tune should you need to return to it for warranty services etc. You can find further information on this site by searching Five Start Tune.

Hope this helps.

John
jhlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:35 AM   #10

I think I bought the Dynamat Extreme trunk kit and it was enough to do the doghouse and most of the doors. You wouldn’t need quite as much foam. I found the little hard rubber roller pretty handy for pressing it into all the curves.

Old 07-02-2018, 10:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlady View Post
Consider a Five Start Tune. All but eliminated the high revs from my V-10 and quieted the cab considerably. The Dynamat is a great idea as well although since I did the Five Star Tune I don't see the need at this time. Also helps with acceleration, reduces downshifts, and just makes the F-53 a pleasure to drive. A Five Start Tune is a computer tuner that you download via the OBDC port. It stored the stock tune should you need to return to it for warranty services etc. You can find further information on this site by searching Five Start Tune.

Hope this helps.

John

I’ve been considering the Five Star tuning. I’ve heard that if you use cruise control a lot that it’s not worth it. Do you have any information about this?? Thanks.
Tdhewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:45 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Dynamat and other sticky backed sound proofing materials are sold as a square footage package. Do the math on what you want to cover and get what you need or order more and use it in other locations.

Car restoration calls for hood, trunk, door and interior floor kits to reduce interior heat reduction and sound noise deadening. Those supply businesses are another source. Also try Amazon.

The 5 Star TUNE is a good addition because it does provide a bit more HP and reduces some unnecessary down shifting which is what reduces the noise. You can drive with the intention of reducing the down shifting and the engine will be quieter. Keeping it on cruise control will increase down shifting higher engine RPM's and noise.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdhewins View Post
I’ve been considering the Five Star tuning. I’ve heard that if you use cruise control a lot that it’s not worth it. Do you have any information about this?? Thanks.
I use cruise all the time with my 5 Star tune. Zero issues for me...
Old 07-02-2018, 12:27 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sound proofing mat on the dog house works wonders. If I ever run into the prior owner I intend to thank them.

You tube video taken during a steep decent last summer in the White Mountains. I'm in second at around 3750 to 4000 RPM. You can hear the engine in the back ground but once the Navigator opens the window at the 30 second mark you can really hear the engine. Gives you an idea of what the matting will do in the doghouse.

https://youtu.be/Yi8BKesrYUE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	upload_-1.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	573.5 KB
ID:	209313  

Tags
engine, ford, noise, v10