Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2019, 03:06 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
I'm just glad to see a resolution and also that you took the time to share it with us.
For all the help and great knowledge, that is the least I can do.

Thanks everyone!!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2019, 08:12 PM   #44

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My thought is loss of fuel pressure? Try turning IGN ON (without starting) until fuel pump times out, then OFF/ ON again, and repeat a third time. If you have a FP RELAy, REPLACE IT ($10-$20?). MAY WELL BE symptom of FAILING FUEL PUMP?
Old 11-22-2019, 12:30 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
My thought is loss of fuel pressure? Try turning IGN ON (without starting) until fuel pump times out, then OFF/ ON again, and repeat a third time. If you have a FP RELAy, REPLACE IT ($10-$20?). MAY WELL BE symptom of FAILING FUEL PUMP?
Thanks for the help. I have fixed the problem. It was actually the PCM relay!

Marcus
Old 11-24-2019, 03:09 PM   #46

the electric fuel pump in the fuel tank is going bad, replace the pump and you will be good
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 03:46 PM   #47
T12

Hard to start

I have a 2002 Ford Ranger. It had a similar problem. If it had sat overnight it wouldn't start without cranking it a lot. The fuel pump had pressure and it had plenty of spark. The fuel pump has a check valve that failed allowing the fuel to run back into tank. I replaced the pump and presto no more problem.
T12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 05:22 PM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonybrew View Post
Hello all,

On my 99 Bounder, V10, 6.8L, F53 Chassis, I am having a problem where it won't start if it sits a few days. Otherwise, it starts fine.

If it has been more than a few days, I have to turn it over for quite some time before it starts. Then it can be turned off and restarted pretty much immediately.

I have changed the fuel filter. I have switched out the fuel pump fuse. Neither has helped.

Any ideas other than the fuel pump. This is the one job that I don't want to do myself. Could there be any other causes?

Thanks in advance,

Marcus
The rubber hoses, at the in-line filters or at the carb, and everywhere between, are probably dry rotted, allowing the fuel pump to lose it's prime. Replace the hoses, try again
Old 11-24-2019, 07:41 PM   #49

You have an air leak. The fuel line is draining back, either into the tank, or onto the ground, the fuel is being replaced by air and that air has to be bled-off before the engine can start. Remove the fuel line from the injector rack, blow into it - not too hard, but you should not be able to blow any air into the line. Conversely, find a junction in the line near the tank (fuel filter???), blow toward the engine, air shold not be ble to flow. The fuel pump should have a check valve, it may have dirt or corrosion. If the fuel pressure is acceptable while the engine is running, just buy and install a check valve back near the tank. There are many possibilities for air leaks that are not catastrophic but they're tough to find. If you need to, replacing the entire line from the filter to the engine may be the option. Most mechanics have a "Mighty Vac", a vacuum hand pump. You can use that to pull a slight vacuum on the fuel line to verify the presence or absence of a leak. Conversely that pump also creates pressure, you should be able to pressurize the line and check to see how long it holds without leaking down.
Good luck
bobfrommaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:08 PM   #50

Swap out the fuel pump relay. I had the same problem with my old class c with the 460.
mgnorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:47 PM   #51

Yes, people. DO keep ignoring post #45.

I guess you could ask a moderator to lock the thread, it's getting silly.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:23 AM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Just a thought, but I had a 2000 Hurricane on an F53. I was able to create an access to replace my fuel pump through a hole in the floor inside a cabinet. The hardest part was finding the location of the fuel pump on top of the tank. After that cutting/ patching the hole and replacing the pump was a 30 minute job. Even if it is under a carpeted section, replacement from the top side would be a piece of cake
RRBattani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 01:33 PM   #53

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
how, exactly, does that work?

Yes, I've read the entire thread. Yes, I've seen the answer.
Now, if it is OK, I'd like to ask a related question.
My little MH has a 2017 Triton V10 and I'm curious.

From what I've read here, the fuel pump seems to be inside the fuel tank.
When the engine is shut down, what prevents the fuel in the line from going backward into the tank by gravity?
Is it just that no air can enter the system because it is sealed?
Or, is there a check-valve somewhere to prevent backflow?
Or, does the fuel pump act as a one-way valve when it is not running?
Old 11-25-2019, 02:03 PM   #54

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
When the engine is shut down, what prevents the fuel in the line from going backward into the tank by gravity?
Check valve built into the pump. This also holds pressure in the fuel line for the next time you start.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 03:21 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileyOne View Post
Yes, I've read the entire thread. Yes, I've seen the answer.
Now, if it is OK, I'd like to ask a related question.
My little MH has a 2017 Triton V10 and I'm curious.

From what I've read here, the fuel pump seems to be inside the fuel tank.
Is it just that no air can enter the system because it is sealed?
Or, is there a check-valve somewhere to prevent backflow?
Or, does the fuel pump act as a one-way valve when it is not running?
I agree with Waiter21 that there is a one-way check valve inside the pump...

There is a fuel pump inside the tank, but it doesn't have to be there. You can buy an external replacement fuel pump, gas or diesel. They are available several places like Napa, I always check and spec here: Summit Racing

When I bought my first diesel pusher and had a fuel problem, the tech replaced a leaking banjo connection and also said I had a lazy fuel pump in my tank...whatever that is. So just in case he was right, I wanted to give my mechanical lift pump a boost so I installed an external. Plumbed it into the fuel hose back near the engine. 12 years later, still going strong, never had another fuel issue with the RV.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:39 PM   #56

Tiffin Owners Club
the most common problem will be bad check valve inside the fuel pump, bleeding the fuel back into the tank. by turning the ign. switch off and on, you may be able to shorten the crank time. less common, could be the spark plugs. ck how many miles the rv has, and what are manufacture recomm.
joe p
orit1350 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine