RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2014, 07:11 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
excersize or let it sit ?

We have a 2005 Winnie, Aspect 26A, live in wet & damp Florida and are continually dealing with rust and mildew. Our MH is used for many short {2-4 day trips} about every 4/6 weeks. However, between trips I make it a point to drive it (every 2 /3 weeks) at least 10 miles at various speeds, slowing down gradually, hitting the brakes hard occasionally. I run the generator, put a load on it to make it work for 20/30 min. then cool it down b4 shut off.
I had a major brake problem right after I bought my MH and had to replace all front brake parts from the firewall to the spindles. the brakes froze up and ruined the rotors, rubber brake lines were junk, calipers rusted and useless, master cylinder had a tear in the boot and let brake fluid get into the cruise control module and ruined it. $1900.00 dollars later it worked O.K. for a while then started sticking again, hence the constant making sure everything is excersized on a regular basis.
Being retired and keeping the unit at home I can do this without a problem.

I don't know if anyone else has had sticking brakes on a Ford chassis, but I sure did on an E450 cutaway.
John

Mr John is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2014, 08:16 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARFFMAN View Post
The worst thing you can do to any engine is letting it sit without using it. An engine was produced to work and to be excercised. On the other hand it is hard on an engine to be started then shut down before it has reached operating temp. Run it for at least 30 minutes under a load. Take your MH out of campsite and take it for a ride and take it though it paces a least every 3 weeks. This goes for your generator too. Run it for 30 minutes under load and the let it idle with no load
on it for 15 minutes more. Your engine, transmission, generator will thank you with many years service. This also goes for all your systems in M H.
Great answer, I take our MH on the road every week to get everything up to operating temperature.

Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 05:11 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Well maybe it is OK to exercise an engine but I have yet to read of any technical tests done to prove that point. Just to say it's built to be run is really not a reason to run it without getting any practical use out of it. By that I mean why just drive it around the block for 50 miles and go nowhere??

Has anybody ever read or heard of any tests done to prove that an engine needs to be run periodically to increase its life??? Or conversely is it bad for an engine to just set???? Who says that just setting shortens an engines life?? I don't know the answer and I'm not going to accept somebodies feel good statement with no facts to back it up.

TeJay
Old 12-31-2014, 05:15 PM   #18
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Well maybe it is OK to exercise an engine but I have yet to read of any technical tests done to prove that point. Just to say it's built to be run is really not a reason to run it without getting any practical use out of it. By that I mean why just drive it around the block for 50 miles and go nowhere??

Has anybody ever read or heard of any tests done to prove that an engine needs to be run periodically to increase its life??? Or conversely is it bad for an engine to just set???? Who says that just setting shortens an engines life?? I don't know the answer and I'm not going to accept somebodies feel good statement with no facts to back it up.

TeJay
I've wondered that myself.
mre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:29 AM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
As a service manager, I was lucky enough to go to the Louisville dealer show every year. Ford was there and the head engineer was there to answer any questions. We hit it off good until I forgot that he engineered all the repairs and I stated that the repair for the water stopping up the engine air filter was a cheap repair that severely restricted the air intake. This was the first factory repair. It was free and was really crappy. He got mad and informed me that Ford needed a quick fix and only allowed him a small amount of money for the fix. They finally came up with the saxaphone intake pipe, which worked well but was on the customers dime. I had asked him before this about running engines while in storage. (remember this is the guy that designed the V10 engine) According to him, the main advantage to running the engine was to heat the rubber seals and keep them pliable. People who ran their engines every 3 or 4 months had less leaks.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:07 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks gatrveler, that's the first somewhat fact based assessment concerning running/exercising an engine and the benefit was not something that I recall being mentioned (pliable seals).

I tried googling the idea of exercising engines and found nothing even close to any real tests. Most of what I read was just the usual, "Well my Dad told me it was good to do." Or, Well that's what I've always done and my engines lasted a long time." Who knows they might have lasted even longer without the exercise part.

TeJay