Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2017, 05:40 AM   #1

F-450 In-dash Radio Upgrade

Interested in upgrading the in-dash radio for our E-450 chassis. Current radio is really hard to use the touch screen, no satellite radio capability and not very user friendly. Would need to find something I could still use the right/left and rear cameras on.

Anyone found a good replacement?

TIA
Pavegraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2017, 05:13 PM   #2

Add me to this interest list. Furrion (or some such) in my Coachmen is a real POS 1990's technology.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:25 PM   #3

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavegraham View Post
Interested in upgrading the in-dash radio for our E-450 chassis. Current radio is really hard to use the touch screen, no satellite radio capability and not very user friendly. Would need to find something I could still use the right/left and rear cameras on.

Anyone found a good replacement?

TIA
I had a Axxces in my 2017 freedom elite with E450 chassis. I replaced it with a Pioneer avh-4100Nex radio. Fairly difficult to replace. not with the radio, but removing the front dash. took a while but works beautifully and my rear camera is great. I do not have side cameras, but these should hook in easily.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:24 PM   #4

Dumped OE Head unit

After having the Jensen replaced 16 months after the original unit failed I went a different direction. I replaced it with a Kenwood DDX9703S. It is capable of connecting to two cameras. Since I have 3 like most of you I purchased a Voyager CSW3014 Switcher which allows turn signal triggering as I had with the Jensen. Both can be installed at your local car stereo shop.

Very impressive quality including a tilt screen feature (tilt up during high sun) DVD player, Bluetooth, HD Radio, Touch Screen for all features, and Apple Carplay/Android Auto (Think Apple Maps on your head unit giving turn by turn directions).This is night and day compared to Jensen. Time will tell on reliability but appears to be steps above in fit and finish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1118.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	186028   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1119.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	186029  

Old 12-18-2017, 02:24 AM   #5

Thanks

Thanks for the replies! I’ll definitely check both of those out.
Pavegraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 02:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavegraham View Post
Thanks for the replies! I’ll definitely check both of those out.
Take a look at your radio trim ring and see if there are two slots on each side.
I’m mentioning this because having worked for Ford in a past life, I know there is a requirement for a special tool for removing the radios.

Two (U) shape pieces that insert into these four holes that releases the radio from its mount, allows it to slide out without any issues in less than a minute.

I’m not sure if the newer vehicles have this same setup, but if it does, I would advise you to have your present radio removed by a ford tech using this tool.

You may get them to do it for free or in conjunction with maybe an oil change.
Another thought is maybe you could rent the tool, it’s well worth it.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:18 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My 99-E450sd has the radio that requires a wire tool be inserted, pushed to side to release, and radio pops out; no dash disassembly required; did Ford drop that feature?
THenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 04:08 PM   #8

stock stereo puller

No they did not change the puller style. The stock stereo in most of of coaches has 4 individual holes (2 on each side) which you insert the pullers into to release from the carrier. These tools are usually found with your manuals when coach was delivered new. My new Kenwood required a carrier change and different pull tools, not really a big deal to swap out. My local installer did the whole install including cameras for less than 100 bucks.
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2017, 05:58 PM   #9

We had no problems with the 'function' of the radio in our new E450. But the sound quality was terrible. We installed new speakers, which made a huge difference.

Tags
dash, radio, upgrade