Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2017, 07:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
When I bought my new to me 2007 National motorhome I had the same problem with the dash air. Took it to Buddy Gregg in Knoxville and they drained the system and recharged with proper amount. When I took it in there was more than 6 pounds of freon in the system and it's supposed to have about half that. You gotta' love shade tree mechanics and their WalMart freon recharge bottles.

All works fine now but it still won't freeze you out. I also have noticed that the rotary temperature control knob on the dash will move to warmer after a little bumpy road action,.

Not all shade tree mechanics are that stupid
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2017, 07:06 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
An update:

Auto mechanic put some freon into the system to make sure low pressure switch was what was keeping the clutch disengaged. Once things started running he could hear a leak under the coach. Further investigation revealed that the low pressure hose was rubbing against the frame near the compressor. He was not comfortable replacing from the ground on his back.

I called a local ford dealership and they ordered the hose which will be in this morning. Also called about 20 local dealerships and found two that would work on MH's, but both said they were three weeks out and that it would be questionable whether or not Ford would cover this (I will reserve my rant for latter).

Called my usual RV mechanic and he is squeezing me in Monday to change the hose and the auto mechanic said once the hose is changed he will take care of evacuating and re-charging the system for me.

As for the point where the hose is rubbing against the frame I am hoping we can apply something around the hose to help hold damage off.

Fortunately the RV Mechanic and the Auto Mechanic are only a block away from each other.

Now I know why many people with Motor Homes are retired. It isn't so they can travel more, it is so they have time to take them back and forth to the repair facility. Being silly of course, but will pass along any photos of the area so others can check their rigs for the same issue.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:14 AM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Common problem, hoses fraying against stuff. I'm surprised Ford had the hose. I thought Ford supplied the compressor and the builder supplied everything else.

Anyway, another solution would be to cut the hose at the fray, then use a barb fitting to connect the cut halves back together, Use Fuel Injection clamps to secure the hose to the barb fitting. Pressures in the hose shouldn't exceed 500 psi.

As for the fraying, I often use an old rubber hose that I split so I can slide it over the metal edge. Also slide a split hose over the existing hose so it cant rub against the metal.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:00 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Well to my surprise it was the wrong hose, and to your credit Ford has no idea what hose I need. It is hard to find old style technicians that can make and repair hoses as you have suggested. I remember installing after market air conditioners and being able to have the hoses made for you.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:57 AM   #19

Yep, try Classic Auto Air. They supplied hose and ends for a universal AC kit.
I'm sure they can set you up with the hose and fittings you need. Then take to an AC shop to get crimped.
You will need to clock and mark the ends for correct orientation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
Well to my surprise it was the wrong hose, and to your credit Ford has no idea what hose I need. It is hard to find old style technicians that can make and repair hoses as you have suggested. I remember installing after market air conditioners and being able to have the hoses made for you.
garys 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:53 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
You just can't make this stuff up. RV Mx Shop says they don't work on chassis AC and sends me to Auto Shop. Auto shop finds leak in suction line from rubbing frame rail, says he can't remove and sends me back to RV MX shop.

In the mean time ford gives me wrong hose and tells me they didn't put the big hose on the RV, that FW must have. FW tells me it was a Ford hose, neither knows what to get, or whee to get it.

My plan "B" was that I found a couple local hose shops that could repair the bad hose for me and that once the RV MX shop removed hose I would take it to get it fixed and then give it back to them to install, evac, charge etc.

RV shop that told me they don't work on chassis AC announces that they have the tool to make a new hose. When I act surprised they say with a bit of a huff, "Well we are a maintenance shop"

Today I get a call from RV shop asking if I can run the hose to a shop north of here to get it fixed. Since I am on my way to another state for work I have to say no. Owner announces "this is a pain in the butt", and that he will get it there somehow. Turns out they don't have the tool they needed after all.

Not sure what I am going to find out tomorrow, I may end up picking the hose up anyway and getting it fixed.

I am wishing that once the Auto Shop figured out what was wrong, I would have just removed, repaired and reinstalled the hose. I could have had it evacuated and charged just about anywhere.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:02 PM   #21

4Seasons/Everco A/C Hose Assembly 56770 - Read Reviews on 4Seasons/Everco #56770

Autozone

Look like that?
Old 08-16-2017, 09:00 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
The larger diameter one looks similar but not long enough. This thing is almost 4' in length. runs from the compressor to the valve assembly all the way up under the dash.

the RV Mechanic was able to get it repaired, ie new hose so I took it back to the auto mechanic and he will evacuate and recharge the system.

Wish this was it the r&R plus repair was over $400 and I still have to get it charged.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:05 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
This is the one Auto Zone says fits my vehicle and it matches what Ford originally sold me. This is the only hose that shows up on Fords IPB, which is what leads me to believe FW probably provided the hose in question.

Best A/C Hose Assembly Parts for Cars, Trucks & SUVs
Old 08-17-2017, 05:33 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the update. I hope you get fixed up today.

Good luck!
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:23 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Still no joy! Auto Mechanic tried to evacuate the system today and could not get it into a vacuum. It is still leaking at the compressor so it went back to the RV Mechanic. I can see more $$ floating by. At least this time the RV Mech went the block and a half and picked the MotorHome up. I have been having to stop by, park my truck at one end and walk to get the MH to drive it back to where my truck is.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:41 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
OK, got a call from RV mechanic. Tells me how the AC lines have steel fittings and the compressor has an aluminum housing. Claims that dis similar metals corrosion has deteriorated the threads in the compressor and they can't get a good seal. In short, new compressor on order.

I used to teach the galvanic corrosion classes in the Air Force so I am reasonably educated in the subject. I guess I am thinking that in the automotive world we have had steel fittings and aluminum compressors for years and hoses can be routinely removed and reinstalled with little worry of destroying the threads, so it shouldn't be that common of a problem, especially on a 2014 chassis.

Has anyone else had an issue with this?

My gut is telling me someone got the threads crossed.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:52 AM   #27

Do the lines even thread into the compressor? I'd have to look at mine to be sure, but don't most modern compressors have lines that end in a bolt that is bolted to back of the compressor? Like the attached image? I suppose that bolt could get buggered up, but could be retapped larger or heli-colied or something, right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1172031060-1[1].jpg
Views:	67
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	173785  
Attached Images

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 06:37 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Mine is a threaded male slip fitting

Tags