Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2017, 03:45 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
F 53 Ride Help!!!

Just completed the first long trip with the 2016 Thor ACE, and the ride was a real handfull. I have read a lot about the CHF - i think that will be my first attempt to make this less that a white knuckle drive. But also am looking for advice on dealing with the bumps - i felt every crack in the road - and felt like the front end was going to shake itself off - what is the best fix ??? Shocks ? Love the MH - but 400 miles in a day is a real workout.
djc290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2017, 03:52 PM   #2

What I've don so far.....

1-CHF

2-Front end alignment to include tightening the steering box

3-Set tire pressure to the placard inside the coach

4-Installed a Safe-T stabilizer

5-Installed Airtabs

Airtab | Aerodynamic Fuel Savers | Welcome

Drives very nice even with the teeth chattering pot holes we have here in AZ. And practically no push from the 18 wheelers.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:26 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have Sump springs and Safe-T-plus steering stabilizer and do not have issues.
Brianb131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:26 AM   #4
RV LIFE Support Team

Get you RV weighed and set the tire pressures based on your actual weight. If getting blown around on the road a rear track bar stops most of that.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:48 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I have done a few F-53 chassis for customers. CHF + Koni FSB's. They have enjoyed the drive much better.
mrv8outboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:34 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I always told my customers to start with the tire pressure. NEVER fill to sidewall max pressure. (Unless you are a full timer and are maxed out on the weight.) Second is the rubber bushings in the suspension. check and if bad, replace with polyurethane bushings. Next is Ride Rite airbags on the front with about 24 psi in the bags. A F53 will never ride like uncle Mikes Caddy, But do these three things and the ride will be MUCH, MUCH better.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:15 PM   #7

djc
Unless you have very deep pockets do not drive a coach with the 22.5" wheels. My first coach with the 19.5 wheels had me white knuckled initially. CHF dramatically helped the handling on that coach. I agree with everyone here that mentioned tire pressure. Lastly the more time you spend behind the wheel the better everything gets.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:26 PM   #8

400 miles a day in a mh is a workout regardless. We did the CHF and things were a bit better. Check your tire pressures against what the TIRE manufacturer says they should be based on your GAWR unless you know your actual weights.

Slow down. We basically drive 65 on interstates and the ride is good.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:32 PM   #9

You may want to start out by replacing factory shocks with Koni FSD shocks they're rather expensive but well worth the cost as they significantly improve ride quality on the F53 chassis.

Good luck with your ride improvement project and safe travels...

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 04:33 PM   #10

Koni FSD shocks made my 2007 20,500 lb chassis much less harsh over sharp edge bumps. Lowering tire pressure helped also. Handling was improved by a good alignment and installing a rear trac bar. Interior noise was cured by using lots of Dynamat under the front end. I never did the CHF because I don't notice a sway problem.
The coach is much improved and I really believe if I want something better I should start looking for a diesel pusher!
rfregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:38 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I have installed KONI Shocks and SUMO Springs. The front and rear Ant-sway systems arrived and I am waiting to schedule their installation. The shocks and springs made the 5K trip this spring more enjoyable and less jarring. Now, hoping the anti-sway systems will bring color back to my white knuckles. 🤠🚍
Old 06-23-2017, 10:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by djc290 View Post
Just completed the first long trip with the 2016 Thor ACE, and the ride was a real handfull. I have read a lot about the CHF - i think that will be my first attempt to make this less that a white knuckle drive. But also am looking for advice on dealing with the bumps - i felt every crack in the road - and felt like the front end was going to shake itself off - what is the best fix ??? Shocks ? Love the MH - but 400 miles in a day is a real workout.
same things to me in my 99 Bounder .I add a extra leaf in the front last summer and it improve a lot , today I have to pick up the rv from the spring shop they done the rear leaves and I hope to get more improvement .
I choose this option instead install air bags or some other expensive things.
I also replace the 4 shocks . Gabriel or Monroe do the job . I had the expensive Koni's and the rv ride like your .
I will let u know about how my rv ride after I pick it up today or tomorrow.thx
mrwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:58 AM   #13

My opinion is that the F53 chassis have a weak suspension for the amount of weight of the motorhome . Consequences : rough ride , tremendous shudder in all the body when hit cracks ,holes etc. basically the suspension is soft/
thx
mrwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:52 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Cheap Handling Fix and Ride Improvement

I have installed KONI Shocks and SUMO Springs last fall and it made a difference. It didn't give it an air cushioned ride, but took the jarring of the dishes and my teeth out of the ride. I am in the process of having Hellwig Anti-sway bars installed. The front was installed yesterday and I am awaiting the correct part for the rear to be shipped.

I too experienced the white knuckle effect this past spring driving in torrential rain and heavy winds crossing Pensacola, FL. 3-5 foot rollers in the bay. I am hoping that this will improve the handling all around. From what I have read on this website and others, most people agree it is well worth the expense. The CHF is a misnomer.

Sorry that the second photo is sideways. It was taken correctly, but I could not correct the position in this posting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170623_111538.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	328.4 KB
ID:	166189   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170623_111550.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	323.9 KB
ID:	166190  

DGundy is offline   Reply With Quote