Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2018, 12:07 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Factory track bar??

Took my 2014 Monarch Monaco 33' to Camping World to get a Safe-t-Plus steering assist and a rear track bar installed. Got a call from CW that there was already a factory track bar installed. So they gave me my money back, over 600 bucks. This coach is just evil to drive. It wants to dart right then left etc. Just will not go straight. Before Safe-T- plus install I had done the CHF to the front. Since the install I had an alignment done. Said they put shims in to correct castor. Nothing said about toe-in. Nothing done yet has given me a lot of confidence in the handling. The front CHF gave the most improvement. Today I did the rear CHF and have yet to test drive. But I saw NO rear track bar. I think I know what i'm looking for. Seen the video and so on. So my question is: is there a track bar I don't see or did Camping World tech not want to do the install??? By the way new 22.5 tires about a year ago.
Thanks, Bill
captclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2018, 12:28 PM   #2

Ford didn't do a factory rear track bar. Can't miss it if there's an aftermarket it'll be right there on top of the diff to the frame rail.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:45 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Maybe they thought you were referring to the factory installed sway bar?

You can find a trac bar here;

http://supersteerparts.com/

This is a picture of the trac bar, we installed on our chassis which is different;
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RearTracBar.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	263.0 KB
ID:	195537  
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:56 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes that is what i paid for to be installed and they (CW) said there was already one there.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:19 PM   #5

Maybe they were referring to a front track bar.
Have you weighed your coach and set the tire air pressure to the correct PSI.
wrapperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:51 PM   #6

captclem-

2014 F-53 specs (link here, page "93" of the specs, page 4 of the PDF document) call out a front track bar as standard for chassis 18,000 and up, optional for the 16,000 chassis.

I'm wondering if CW knows the difference between a track bar and a sway bar.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:32 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Checked invoice and it was for front. Poor communication. Ugh.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:45 PM   #8

Good news is. they gave you your money back.
Tegu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:43 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just MHO!!! If I did what you did and got the same answer about there not being a TB that tells me the quality of technicians and I'd be happy they didn't install one.

Second point. If they thought you wanted one on the front and recognized you had one I'd call and ask the owner. "You have a front factory TB do you want one installed on the rear??" They already have your $600 so you must have wanted something.

Poor communication and technician customer service training. Run don't walk to a decent shop!!
Old 03-21-2018, 08:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Run don't walk to a decent shop!!
And you're not likely to find one of those flying the CW flag.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:03 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think the guy at camping world doesn't know a track bar from a sway bar. Not a uncommon confusion - but should not be for a RV repair facility. Find another place to install the rear track bar.

BTW. I had a track bar installed on a previous coach with F53. Made a huge improvement.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:31 AM   #12

I installed my own, purchased from Henderson's. Any halfway competent mechanic could do it, it can be done parked in your driveway, no lift needed.

I didn't really detect much if any difference in our Baystar. Roll resistance is what a gas coach needs most. We had ours in Henderson's later for a full evaluation and they recommended shocks, Sumos, and an additional rear anti roll bar. Plus a supersteer. I got the impression we were being sold every product available and declined; we were thinking of a DP anyway by then.

By your description it sounds like the front alignment is off. Ours also was twitchy when the toe in was wrong.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:29 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
I installed my own, purchased from Henderson's. Any halfway competent mechanic could do it, it can be done parked in your driveway, no lift needed.

I didn't really detect much if any difference in our Baystar. Roll resistance is what a gas coach needs most. We had ours in Henderson's later for a full evaluation and they recommended shocks, Sumos, and an additional rear anti roll bar. Plus a supersteer. I got the impression we were being sold every product available and declined; we were thinking of a DP anyway by then.

By your description it sounds like the front alignment is off. Ours also was twitchy when the toe in was wrong.
And the toe in of typically 1/8-1/4" can be fairly easy to set on most truck chassis' using a standard tape measure and about 30-45 minutes.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:30 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Not sure your source of information regarding the typical total toe. I had a semi tractor frame straightening/alignment shop perform our alignment. The RV had 700 miles and all major angles were off. They recommend a total toe of 1/16" on any tractor trailer or other rig using 22.5" tires. That's 1/32" for each side.

If all is well (no accidents) and no smacking curbs they get 150,000 miles on a set of steer tires. That sounds good to me.

Another shop (primarily semi's and tires) in town recommends exactly the same 1/16" total toe.