RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2019, 05:38 PM   #267

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtec16450yz View Post
I'm not here trying to sell anything. I'm not interested in getting involved directly with tuning RV's. I would have helped or worked with any of these 3 main aftermarket tuning companies if they were interested, but it looks like they're not.

I made this thread to share knowledge, nothing more. It possibly could have turned into more, but unfortunately it doesn't look like that's going to happen.
Thanks for sharing GMTEC! You've got me interested and I can bolt on headers and change mufflers and even modify the intake but even if I bought the HPtuner I wouldn't have the confidence to start mucking around in all the tables. So you have given us a lot of knowledge but I don't know how to use it. If the 3 main aftermarket tuning companies are not willing to help, then do you know of other upstart companies that would be willing to take up this challenge?

rkw92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2019, 11:43 PM   #268

All interesting stuff, but difficult to implement. I think the point got lost in this thread that the EPA and the DOJ took on the tuner world and cost [the maker of the SCT tuner] big bucks in fines, and millions in mitigation requirements. So one of the big questions to any tuner not willing to get every custom tune certified is: How can you make these claims of performance and mileage increases and, basically, NOT go to jail for violations of the Clean Air Act? So it’s no wonder 5Star’s responses were the same marketing sound bites because they have to walk on that thin, thin ice very carefully.

walt_embree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:34 AM   #269

It's a shame this cannot go forward.

gmtec16450yz: You said "I would have helped or worked with any of these 3 main aftermarket tuning companies if they were interested, but it looks like they're not."
These companies already sell what they are comfortable with. What do you think may change their position? A groundswell of interest and pointed questions from potential customers? A voluntary pilot project of a number RV owners, complete with documented results?
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:11 AM   #270

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtec16450yz View Post
I'm not here trying to sell anything. I'm not interested in getting involved directly with tuning RV's. I would have helped or worked with any of these 3 main aftermarket tuning companies if they were interested, but it looks like they're not.

I made this thread to share knowledge, nothing more. It possibly could have turned into more, but unfortunately it doesn't look like that's going to happen.
So is the purpose of your thread to be an expanded resume or application for a consulting job with one of the three main aftermarket tuners?
Old 08-14-2019, 08:47 AM   #271

Scan Gauge used by Midasman

Hey Midasman.

You posted that you use SG to control your shifting. after reading that post 2X's I am assuming this is something you are doing manually by watching certain parameters? If so can you please explain it again, maybe a little simplified?

I too am sick of the downshifting and over revving on my 2019 Jayco Redhawk with the ford V10. Sure who wouldn't want better fuel mileage and more horsepower, however, when I drive, the one thing that really upsets me is the shifting and revving more than anything! I was going to buy the 5Star tune but after following this thread I am not so sure anymore! And i certainly dont want to void my factory warranty!
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:23 AM   #272

Quote:
Hey Midasman.

You posted that you use SG to control your shifting. after reading that post 2X's I am assuming this is something you are doing manually by watching certain parameters? If so can you please explain it again, maybe a little simplified?

I too am sick of the downshifting and over revving on my 2019 Jayco Redhawk with the ford V10. Sure who wouldn't want better fuel mileage and more horsepower, however, when I drive, the one thing that really upsets me is the shifting and revving more than anything! I was going to buy the 5Star tune but after following this thread I am not so sure anymore! And i certainly dont want to void my factory warranty!
This, IMHO, states the concerns I share 100%!

I will definitely try midasman's work-around, but if I understand it, his technique applies only to going up hill, not down.

2019 ACE 30.3 2018 f53 chassis
woodbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:53 AM   #273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
So is the purpose of your thread to be an expanded resume or application for a consulting job with one of the three main aftermarket tuners?
Yep, you got me!

Ever since I was a little boy I've dreamed of tuning RV's.

There's nothing like the thrill and challenge of manipulating basic and crude engine management systems that are a couple decades behind current technology, in giant overweight vehicles that rarely get driven as fast as posted speed limits, and work for companies that use antiquated tools on vehicles that are barely above farm implements in technology but still think they know everything. lol.

Seriously, I have far more interesting and challenging projects on my to-do list. And compared to all of the things I've done so far in my life, tuning motorhomes wouldn't quite be the pinnacle. Doing things like just this one single picture shows is far more rewarding. I'm track tuning a race car that's running an engine that I built with my own hands, getting it ready to run in the Long Beach Grand Prix. The best part of that day was the driver came back in saying it had TOO MUCH power and can I dial it down a little. lol. It took me a couple tune revisions but I ended up giving the test driver exactly what he wanted, smooth controllable power through the turns, but still maintaining max power for the straights. That car had one of the fastest straightaway speeds in the field. And the ECM was a Bosch E69, an engine management system that was 10 years ahead of it's time and incredibly complex to tune. It was one of the first torque/airflow based ECM's, and the engine not only was forced inducted, it had direct injection and variable cam timing on both intake and exhaust cams. I was the guy people literally around the world came to for answers and understanding of that engine management system, most of which I gladly gave away for free.

So sorry Reacher, the serious answer is no. I don't need a job.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5268.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	256863  
gmtec16450yz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:11 AM   #274

Someone with gmtec's expertise can apparently get this F53 chassis to run (and shift) like a clock. However - His mods run the gamut from headers to air cleaner. Each of these mods effects all of the others. His 'tune' is but a single piece of the puzzle. He is able tweak the software to get the other mods to work together. The result is an rv that operates to his liking.

Aftermarket tuners can improve the operation to some degree but not nearly to the extent that gmtec's numbers indicate. He takes them to task because they seem unwilling to take their tunes as far as he has. In their defense, their tunes, unlike gmtec's, are basically plug and play - accessible to guys like me as a stand-alone improvement.

But -- Is an incremental improvement worth the risks?

Midasman's approach is certainly heading in the right direction IMHO.

This ain't grandpa's stick shift. Maybe I just need to learn how to work it.
woodbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:06 PM   #275

Hey Johnnynorthla, Yes, you are correct. I AM controlling shifting MANUALLY. I love 5th on my 6 speed. I nudge the throttle during my climb to bring shift from 6th to 5th, and then watch my LOD to MAKE SURE it doesn't go above 90-95% (easing off the throttle if necessary). Same with 4th-pull shifter to 4 and again, if I do not increase LOD above 90-95, it STAYS in 4th. Hope this is clearer. For downhill, engage Tow/Haul and then pump brake once or twice until it downshifts. Maintain braking or it might go back to higher gear. Repeat if you want to go down another gear...The only thing you can do while in cruise control is, again, WATCH the LOD and if climbs to 90% or above, quickly hit the brake with your left foot or off button to turn off the cruise. If I don't catch it, I'll get a screaming 2 gear downshift...
midasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:22 PM   #276

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Does anyone know if there's been a documented situation on this forum where a 5 Star tune has contributed (or said to have contributed) to a engine or transmission failure? If searched, but haven't come across anything.

My decision to use 5 Star was much less associated with wanting additional power rather the dreadful transmission shifting.
Linc2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 06:08 AM   #277

Some people

Gmtec16450yz. There is always one SmarrA in a group so please ignore reacher. Your knowledge and help is very well received by the majority of people on this forum.

Now my question. Can the PE be tied to the vacuum reading as a load reference?

Again thanks for your help
reverand2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:47 AM   #278

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by midasman View Post
I/we appreciate EVERYTHING you have offered. It is a bit of a problem for those who are bothered by facts. Especially coming from a guy that I KNOW pulls no punches, and JUST WANTS TO HELP US at NO personal gain...thank you again!
I second this and add that between what Ive learned here and what 5star is willing to say publicly, I have all the information I need to go forward and try to accomplish my goals. Hence no more questions. There is no point is getting more specific in a post here, because those of you that get it have already got it, from what Ive seen, between the naysayers, non-cognoscenti, and the unwilling, the other responses I would get wouldn't be all that rewarding.

In the mean time I have learned a lot more about how these drivetrains think and thus how to improve my driving experience with what I have as I go forward. So, nuff said. Thanks!
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:37 PM   #279

5 Star was worth it to me just for the change in shifting patterns as others have posted. Call me a sceptic but 10.5 mpg in a RV with Ford V10, averaging over 70 mph? Do you know how fast you have to drive to average 70 mph? Reminds me of the articles in magazines, when I was a kid, about the 200 mpg carburetor that was bought out by the big oil companies to keep it off the market.

Bob B.

2007 Winnebago Voyage 35L
1995 Saturn SW2
Bainbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:42 PM   #280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainbridge View Post
5 Star was worth it to me just for the change in shifting patterns as others have posted. Call me a sceptic but 10.5 mpg in a RV with Ford V10, averaging over 70 mph? Do you know how fast you have to drive to average 70 mph? Reminds me of the articles in magazines, when I was a kid, about the 200 mpg carburetor that was bought out by the big oil companies to keep it off the market.

Bob B.

2007 Winnebago Voyage 35L
1995 Saturn SW2

First you accuse me of being a dangerous driver, now you're calling me a liar. Really?

This is from my very first post in this thread...

I'm not interested in filling this thread with personal attacks or posts simply to increase a members post count. (That's my way of kindly asking a few key members to please leave this thread alone.) Lets try to keep this on subject and informative. I can back up every word I've said here with data, not just my "feelings" or links to somewhere else on the internet that I read more false information.

Can we PLEASE refrain from the personal attacks and keep this on subject?

For the record, here is just one of the 46 logs from our last cross country trip. As you can see, the AVERAGE speed is 72mph. The posted speed limit on this part of the highway was 80mph and even the semi's were cruising at 75-80mph. Let's not get into a discussion about whether or not I or my RV should travel at those speeds, that's NOT what this thread is about. I made a claim about my gas mileage and the fact that I tend to travel around 70mph. I'm simply providing the proof of that. Let's leave it at that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	72mph average_LI (2).jpg
Views:	5
Size:	257.2 KB
ID:	257040  

gmtec16450yz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, ford, v10