RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2019, 08:14 AM   #281

Ford Super Duty Owner
Gmtech

Thanks you for all the help and insight you have provided.

Appreciate the thoroughness of your reflections.

Larry

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2019, 09:12 PM   #282

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryFabbro View Post
Gmtech

Thanks you for all the help and insight you have provided.

Appreciate the thoroughness of your reflections.

Larry
X2. Thanks. Got and old 99 F53 and I just drive it and its ok with me if it REVs.

ChasL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 08:16 AM   #283

Thank you for the information, I am very interested and would like to talk to you about tuning my Winnebago Sightseer V10. Would you be interested?
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:37 PM   #284

Tiffin Owners Club
I realize this thread is 2 months old but I just found it and read through the entire thread. To gmtec16450yz, thanks for sharing your knowledge and expertise. I have learned a lot from reading this. I would love to learn more and get into making a proper tune but it's not likely to happen. Not enough free time, too many toys, etc.

I have a 2012 3v V10 with a 5 Star tune on it. I will have to take 5 Star up on their offer to customize their tune. If I ever decide to dig into tuning, I know where to look for help. I'm sure you could help with my 2015 Chevy Colorado also. The 6 speed shift pattern leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 11-05-2019, 02:40 PM   #285

Thumbs up

Wow,

Thanks Gmtech, I too just spent (hours?) engulfed in this thread. Great read and excellent information. I thought I knew quite a bit about the internal combustion engine and basic tuning tricks. I wondered when the snipers would arrive as they ALWAYS do but you held your temper. Bravo, hope to see more of your postings in near future.
Thanks again!!
Olmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 09:32 PM   #286

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ok, this is a very long thread, and good info for the technically inclined. My question is what is the primary thing that I not knowing, understanding, or with all due respect, caring about the technical details, to improve my V10's performance and reliability over the long term. What gives the most bang for the buck, so to speak?
AbdRahim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:44 AM   #287

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
Ok, this is a very long thread, and good info for the technically inclined. My question is what is the primary thing that I not knowing, understanding, or with all due respect, caring about the technical details, to improve my V10's performance and reliability over the long term. What gives the most bang for the buck, so to speak?
Driving it with the stock tune.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:03 PM   #288

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Driving it with the stock tune.
I've had the 5-Star tune for a little over a year and to me the shifting improvement alone was worth the cost. I have not seen over 4000 RPM on the tach since the upgrade and am cresting hills about 5 MPH faster. I haven't noticed any change in fuel economy, one way or the other, but haven't taken any long trips to really test that. I easily found a $100 discount coupon, which they accepted, so that helped a bit.
Bob B.

2007 Winnebago Voyage 35L
1994 Saturn SW2
Bainbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:46 AM   #289
NXR

Quote:
It's a bit too generic of a question without knowing the model year of the F53 chassis you have (if it is an F53) as determined by the VIN, because the V10 came out at the end of the last century.

Ford introduced the F53 with a 6-speed transmission with the 2016 model year chassis, I believe. So you could have a 2016 model RV with a 2015 5-speed chassis. Many people have reported much improved drivability with the 6-speed.

I see you joined the forum in 2014 so you may have the 5-speed transmission and a later V10. Or not. Please consider adding the RV make, model and year in your signature to help people make better recommendations.

Ray
Old 11-07-2019, 12:48 PM   #290

Quote:
The question was about improving performance and reliability. The answer to that question on almost all trucks, cars and RV's is absolutely hands down a GOOD tune. Tuning an engine costs anywhere from free to $1,000. Even at $1k cost, there's not a whole lot of bolt on hardware that can result in the increases that a proper tune can.

I recently tuned a 2018 E450 Winnebago. It was totally bone stock, not even an aftermarket air filter in it. The owner was averaging 8-9mpg, he's usually towing a ~5k lbs trailer. Not only did he say the power increase was blatantly obvious and the trans shifting was literally perfect in every situation, but also he's now getting OVER 10mpg fillups even towing the trailer.

Yep, there is nothing that beats proper tuning for bang for the buck modifications. Unfortunately, "proper" tuning is hard to come by.

Here is the before and after torque readings as calculated by the ECM in that '18 E450 Class C... Again, NO other changes, just software.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	marty stock.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	266112   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190917_161424 (2).jpg
Views:	7
Size:	253.8 KB
ID:	266113  

gmtec16450yz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 02:22 PM   #291

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, currently, 5 speed, E-450. No complaints with how it drives now. The only thing is a slight ping sound maybe if I am very light on the accelerator when starting up a hill. Just curious, since I have not heard anything drastic enough with these tunes to make me rush to spend another $500. Will move to the six speed in the spring.
AbdRahim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:19 AM   #292

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
A very interesting thread. Great info and sharing of knowledge. That being said I can’t see much benefit for most of us that are not able to implement any of the stated benefits as we have neither the knowledge or access to anyone that will actually reprogram our unit safely.

We would all like increased mileage and better drivability but without any possibility of getting it unless a new company is set up to perform these improvements?

I for one, and probably most of us accept your premise that improvements are possible, but why just tease us with info we will never be able to achieve or use?
Old 11-08-2019, 06:57 AM   #293

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelesley View Post
.... We would all like increased mileage and better drivability but without any possibility of getting it unless a new company is set up to perform these improvements?....

^^^ This. ^^^

Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:34 AM   #294

After reading through this whole thread I figured that I should get involved. I've got a 2000 f53 that is in the 18,000 pound class. I just got it in August and am new at this rv thing. Mine has a normal throttle pedal where a cable goes to the throttle body so a lot of this is not about how mine works. I can control how much fuel goes in with my foot. I have the Banks intake and exhaust but don't think it has any kind of ecm tune because of the way it downshifts too early.I drive at about 62 mph and have been able to get close to 8 mpg by cancelling the cruise every time I hit a hill and gently pressing down on the pedal to let the torque of the engine pull me over. It's so touchy on how easily it is to kick down when you don't want it to and then won't upshift till it gets over the top and start accelerating. Is there a tune out there that will get just get the shift points changed ? Oh, by the way, this has been a great informative read.

Ken...........

givemeaboost is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, ford, v10