RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2019, 01:07 AM   #71

To the OPer

I see you are mostly talking about the 2 valve V-10 in the F-450 van..

All I have to say is my 3 valve V-10 with the 5 speed performs far better and shifts better with the 5 star tuning and I also have the full Banks Power Pack system and running the next up higher octane it gets even better performance..

However I have not seen a increase in mpg..

Maybe Mike from 5-Star can come on here and let you know what his program does, I don't think its just a better throttle response..

jackreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2019, 05:30 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackreno View Post
To the OPer

I see you are mostly talking about the 2 valve V-10 in the F-450 van..

All I have to say is my 3 valve V-10 with the 5 speed performs far better and shifts better with the 5 star tuning and I also have the full Banks Power Pack system and running the next up higher octane it gets even better performance..

However I have not seen a increase in mpg..

Maybe Mike from 5-Star can come on here and let you know what his program does, I don't think its just a better throttle response..
Any extra performance from a tune, beyond stock, happens after WOT ( full throttle ) of the stock settings.
Remember, dyno tests are done at full throttle.

5 Star changes how far the pedal moves the throttle. Its in their brochure.

twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 05:55 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderson2228 View Post
I am not sure if i'm significantly smarter, or dumber after reading all this.. Wow.. What a thread!! Thanks for all the data points. What a great read!
x2 !
I figure if I only understand half of this I'm 50% smarter than I was before reading this thread. Thanks!
Shadowrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:16 AM   #74

Maybe Mike from 5-Star can come on here

Old 07-14-2019, 11:09 AM   #75

Iím very interested in this information. Iíve been a ďtunerĒ since that meant changing Quadrajet metering rods and distributor centrifugal advance springs and weights.
I currently have the 5 Star tune and some DIY modifications to the air intake on my 2012 F53 class A RV chassis.
Due to some squirrel damage (!) I know my V10 has two knock sensors, one in each head. I am not a Ford guy, but it is sad to read they are using primitive systems for knock correction.
While ALL of the listed improvements are very interesting, Iím not sure I can spend the time to learn how to do my own software changes, even though Iím comfortable with computers. I think that is why 5 Star tunes are popular. Someone else spent the time and took the risk.
Still, canít wait to hear more even if I donít attempt it! Call it ďarm chairĒ tuning.
8100LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:21 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8100LT View Post
Due to some squirrel damage (!) I know my V10 has two knock sensors, one in each head. I am not a Ford guy, but it is sad to read they are using primitive systems for knock correction.
There does seem to be some conflicting information on the knock sensors, maybe the 2v don't have and the 3v do?

I know my 2016 3v chassis was throwing a p300 random misfire code when I first got it under high load. A TSB came out for a ECU flash to lower the sensitivity of the misfire sensor. There was another TSB to do something with belt tensioner for previous year chassis as it was setting off misfire sensors.
jharrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 12:24 PM   #77

Im not sure, but I feel like I just read 6 pages of some type of sales pitch here. I do agree that I have a hard time seeing the usefulness of a 5 Star tuner on the newer 6 speed, V10 engines. Data I have seen indicates minimal performance and fuel differences between stock and "tuned". Just my viewpoint, but still an interesting read for non gear heads like me.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 03:11 PM   #78

On what 5 Star tuning does and doesn't do on the late model Ford V10...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtec16450yz View Post
I recently posted a thread on a sister RV forum of this one to help those members clear up some misconceptions on a couple specific technical subjects. It has gone very well and the members there are learning and appreciating the information. I have knowledge to share, I'm going to attempt to share it here once again. Hopefully this will go well...

On the characteristics of the Ford v10 engine...

1- It does NOT "like to rev". It is actually the most diesel-like of most any modern gas engine. There are actually many reasons (again, facts actually) why it SHOULDN'T be run much over 4k.

2- It WILL NOT make more power or get better gas mileage with premium fuel on stock engine calibrations. (The qualifier for this one is premium fuel IS a good idea when at low altitudes, in hot weather or towing heavy loads. It will still not improve mileage or power, it will simply keep the engine from knocking.)

3- It is extremely hard to hear this engine knocking, if you do, it's either something else or it's knocking BADLY.

1- It WILL NOT get you any better gas mileage. The 87 octane tune (most common) does nothing to help engine efficiency and actually by poorly managing the Power Enrichment, it will use MORE fuel at WOT. (Wide Open Throttle.)

2- It WILL NOT give you any more power whatsoever outside of WOT. The tune simply makes the throttle open at a lower pedal percentage to give the illusion of increased power.

3- It WILL NOT have any effect whatsoever on the amount of heat the engine produces. In theory you can hypothesize all kinds of things, in real life it WILL NOT make any difference.

I can't think of any others at the moment. I'm not interested in filling this thread with personal attacks or posts simply to increase a members post count. (That's my way of kindly asking a few key members to please leave this thread alone.) Lets try to keep this on subject and informative. I can back up every word I've said here with data, not just my "feelings" or links to somewhere else on the internet that I read more false information.

If you have honest questions and an open mind, feel free to ask them and I'll do my best to answer them with factual data.

I have a 2007 FOrd V10 ... What will 5 Star tuning DO for the engine?
MadeinTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:26 PM   #79

Ford V10

I have a 2018 Flair with the V10, Revs over 2500-3000 easily in all gears till last gear and it stops at 2500rpms. Any way to get past governor for High gear? Thanks, Larry
rvnewby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:34 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtec16450yz View Post
I recently posted a thread on a sister RV forum of this one to help those members clear up some misconceptions on a couple specific technical subjects. It has gone very well and the members there are learning and appreciating the information. I have knowledge to share, I'm going to attempt to share it here once again. Hopefully this will go well...

On the characteristics of the Ford v10 engine...

1- It does NOT "like to rev". It is actually the most diesel-like of most any modern gas engine. There are actually many reasons (again, facts actually) why it SHOULDN'T be run much over 4k.

2- It WILL NOT make more power or get better gas mileage with premium fuel on stock engine calibrations. (The qualifier for this one is premium fuel IS a good idea when at low altitudes, in hot weather or towing heavy loads. It will still not improve mileage or power, it will simply keep the engine from knocking.)

3- It is extremely hard to hear this engine knocking, if you do, it's either something else or it's knocking BADLY.

1- It WILL NOT get you any better gas mileage. The 87 octane tune (most common) does nothing to help engine efficiency and actually by poorly managing the Power Enrichment, it will use MORE fuel at WOT. (Wide Open Throttle.)

2- It WILL NOT give you any more power whatsoever outside of WOT. The tune simply makes the throttle open at a lower pedal percentage to give the illusion of increased power.

3- It WILL NOT have any effect whatsoever on the amount of heat the engine produces. In theory you can hypothesize all kinds of things, in real life it WILL NOT make any difference.

I can't think of any others at the moment. I'm not interested in filling this thread with personal attacks or posts simply to increase a members post count. (That's my way of kindly asking a few key members to please leave this thread alone.) Lets try to keep this on subject and informative. I can back up every word I've said here with data, not just my "feelings" or links to somewhere else on the internet that I read more false information.

If you have honest questions and an open mind, feel free to ask them and I'll do my best to answer them with factual data.
I'm not sure what gmtec16450yz's credentials are for this thread and don't care. Let me just tell you about the practical impact of my 5star tuning on a 2012 Thor Hurricane 32. I am cruising at the same speed at the same RPM (and therefore the same measured fuel mileage) but have added a 3800 pound toad to the package. The MH is much slower to downshift on hills and shows more torque and power on those hill climbs. And I am not running at WOT (unless you have the pedal to the floor which I never have to do). Needless to say, I'm very happy with their claims and my corresponding results.
RolfH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:49 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeinTexas View Post
I have a 2007 FOrd V10 ... What will 5 Star tuning DO for the engine?

On mine it changed the shift points so it doesn't shift down at almost every freeway over crossing or small hill. I haven't notice an performance or fuel economy changes. Certainly nice that it's not shifting down to 4K rpm often.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 05:22 PM   #82

Like I've said before in this thread, if you have ANY kind of aftermarket tuning, be it 5 Star, Ultra RV or whatever, and you feel it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, that's wonderful. This thread probably isn't for you.

If you're running on stock calibrations, or you have aftermarket tuning but you still just want to understand more about how this all works, this thread might be useful for you.

And again, if you have questions and AN OPEN MIND, this thread is for you.

I made the title of this thread start with "FACTS" because I'm trying to stick to those more than "FEELINGS". Feelings are not always facts. Without coming right out and posting the actual tune files, I'm trying to let you all know what EXACTLY is changed in the specific aftermarket tuning files I've seen. Anyone can say how something like a 5 Star tune "feels". I'm telling you what it IS. You may "feel" a difference, but if those differences don't exist in the actual tune files or are shown in the logs, they don't exist in reality.

As far as my "credentials", I'm not going to get into a chest beating rant. Suffice it to say my credentials are well beyond sufficient for the subject matter. If you don't think I know what I'm talking about, it's very simple. Don't listen. My feelings won't be hurt, I promise. lol.

edit- I just happened to see the number of viewers on this thread/page. 311 at this moment! Wow, thanks everyone! The interesting part is there's almost 10 times as many non-members as there are members. That's cool. It's not always about the people who post in a thread, it's about the other 10 people that are silently reading it all. The moderators here know how hard I've tried to contribute to this forum and how easy it would have been to give up and walk away. It's nice to see that my not giving up resulted in giving 311 people at this very moment something to read that they might learn from or at least be entertained by.

For those that have contributed to this thread and have been amazing with your interest and questions, I truly want to THANK YOU! I really appreciate it and am so grateful this has been a respectful and friendly discussion. Learning is an amazing thing, I'm so happy to be a part of it all. John.
gmtec16450yz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 05:41 PM   #83

So What is MY Answer?

I find this thread most interesting, even though I stopped practicing mechanics a LONG time ago.

So, I have a 2016 Ford V10 with the 6 speed transmission. I bought it used, and the owner had installed a tuner (5 Star/ SCT, I think,) and said he would just leave it on. Lucky me?!?!

I know so little about these things, (even after reading this thread,) that I should probably take it off. After driving well over 10,000 miles, I can say that I am not happy with the way it downshifts coming down grade. I prefer to downshift myself. Is there an easy way to fix that? Otherwise, I’m getting about 9 mpg and don’t have any gripes about the engine so far. Thanks for all the great info!
DikEva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 05:46 PM   #84

Ford Super Duty Owner
"Newbie" V10 owner

I've got a 2005-chassis Ford E450-based class C with the V10. I've got a Bluetooth OBD2 connector that feeds an iPhone app so I can primarily keep track of engine and transmission temps since I'm often pulling a trailer as well.

I'm going through this thread as I really want to know more about keeping this engine and trans going for a long time.

What are some things I can do to keep it going for another 100,000 miles?

PDX_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, ford, v10