RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-24-2014, 05:01 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Roll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central Ohio (Columbus)
Posts: 660
Failed starter on Ford Triton engine

Is this a common problem on the otherwise bullet proof Ford MHZ chassis?

Roll
__________________

__________________
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2014, 05:05 PM   #2
Community Administrator
 
CLIFFTALL's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 35,627
Blog Entries: 1
I put 92,000 miles on two and never had a starter issue.
__________________

__________________


Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:07 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
al2ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,278
I don't know about the starters, but the AC compressors don't last that long.
__________________
USAF Veteran
2014 Forest River Georgetown 351DS
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Toad
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:12 PM   #4
Community Administrator
 
CLIFFTALL's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 35,627
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
I don't know about the starters, but the AC compressors don't last that long.

Never had an issue with them either , but to be fair we almost always used the roof air via generator to cool the MH.
__________________


Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:16 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
BFlinn181's Avatar
 
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 19,917
Are you sure it's the motor and not the solenoid? If you pull it off and take it to an auto parts store many of them can test it for you.
__________________

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:20 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
al2ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Never had an issue with them either , but to be fair we almost always used the roof air via generator to cool the MH.
Apparently, the main seal leaks from lack of usage. I go out and turn everything on every week or two even during winterization.
__________________
USAF Veteran
2014 Forest River Georgetown 351DS
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Toad
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:41 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
Apparently, the main seal leaks from lack of usage. I go out and turn everything on every week or two even during winterization.
With temps under 30F it is not possible to have enough pressure in the A/C system to activate the compressor. The low side switch cycles based on low side pressures. Around 20-30ish PSI the pressure switch will turn off the compressor and around 45ish PSI it will engage the compressor clutch. Because pressure is a direct relationship to outside temps, when it is freezing out there is not enough pressure to activate the switch to activate the compressor. On newer systems like yours the compressor is PCM controlled. These are some of the requirements (per the workshop manual) that must be met before the PCM will turn on the compressor:
When an A/C request is received by the PCM, the A/C compressor clutch will only be engaged through the A/C clutch relay if all of the following conditions are met:
  • The PCM does not detect excessively high or low refrigerant pressure from the A/C pressure transducer.
  • The PCM does not detect excessively high engine coolant temperature.
  • The PCM does not detect an ambient air temperature below -1C (30F).
  • The PCM has not detected a Wide Open Throttle (WOT) condition.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:43 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
Is this a common problem on the otherwise bullet proof Ford MHZ chassis?

Roll
Under regular use, the starter does not have any real issues to speak of. However no doubt that some have failed. However when items like starters and alternators sit for a very long time without usage this leave room for rust and corrosion to occur and cause issues. I try and start my coach monthly to keep everything working.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:17 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
al2ride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
With temps under 30F it is not possible to have enough pressure in the A/C system to activate the compressor. The low side switch cycles based on low side pressures. Around 20-30ish PSI the pressure switch will turn off the compressor and around 45ish PSI it will engage the compressor clutch. Because pressure is a direct relationship to outside temps, when it is freezing out there is not enough pressure to activate the switch to activate the compressor. On newer systems like yours the compressor is PCM controlled. These are some of the requirements (per the workshop manual) that must be met before the PCM will turn on the compressor:
When an A/C request is received by the PCM, the A/C compressor clutch will only be engaged through the A/C clutch relay if all of the following conditions are met:
  • The PCM does not detect excessively high or low refrigerant pressure from the A/C pressure transducer.
  • The PCM does not detect excessively high engine coolant temperature.
  • The PCM does not detect an ambient air temperature below -1C (30F).
  • The PCM has not detected a Wide Open Throttle (WOT) condition.
Good to know, thanks. I wonder if it's worth hooking up a switch that will provide 12v directly to the clutch to make it rotate the shaft for a short period of time in order to lube the seal.
__________________
USAF Veteran
2014 Forest River Georgetown 351DS
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Toad
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:50 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Not a Clue's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orange County, Ca
Posts: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
Is this a common problem on the otherwise bullet proof Ford MHZ chassis?

Roll
I have replaced two starters in 30,000 miles. When I asked Ford if this was a common problem they said no (of course) but it does happen.

One was replaced under Ford warranty and one replaced under extended warranty.
__________________
Linda, Robin & Buddee(Cavalier)
09 Fleetwood Fiesta 29', 08 Vue Demco/UBS
http://thetravelsoflindarobin.blogspot.com/
Not a Clue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:36 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
Good to know, thanks. I wonder if it's worth hooking up a switch that will provide 12v directly to the clutch to make it rotate the shaft for a short period of time in order to lube the seal.
You could do that. Just don't leave it on for a long period of time. On your 2013 chassis you would have to splice into the Grey with White wire.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:30 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Nashville NC
Posts: 630
Do you stop & start the engine a lot during trips ?.

Normal when we pull out for a trip, the engine never shuts off unless we stop like to sleep or until we get to where we are going.
Shutting the engine down & then stating it back up in a short time span, is hard on the starter motor, because a lot of engine heat will be soaked into it & will make it hard for the starter motor to operate + trying to start the large hot engine.
Neil
__________________
1999 32' Holiday Rambler Vacationer, F53 V10
Wife & me love camping at a race track, dirt track that is.
C-Leigh Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:48 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
hondavalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 233
Make sure the ground cable is in good shape. Ford did have what appeared to be starter issues that in reality were caused by an intermittent ground.
__________________

hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ford



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ford transmission oil pump 2011 Ford Escape bill2011 Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 29 11-22-2014 05:29 PM
Starter '88 Ford E350 bakeryshroom Class C Motorhome Discussions 8 06-03-2014 10:56 PM
Onan starter help :( charliej RV Systems & Appliances 12 05-11-2014 07:38 AM
Ford E450 6.7 Triton V10replacement/rebuild cost IamJerryP Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum 7 02-06-2014 06:45 PM
Warm Engine When Not Running Jarvis Class A Motorhome Discussions 20 06-08-2013 08:38 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.