Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2018, 01:46 PM   #1

Fan Belt 99 F53 and Idler pulley

A while back on my way up to NY I had a fan belt break and been parked
the whole time here on LI,NY but the other day moving the MH could hear some
some kind of noise coming from the engine like a vibration of maybe the fan or maybe one of the idler pulley and before leaving Florida did think the fan belt
looked good and so maybe look into changing or checking the pulley and was all looked and was spinning good when we changed the belt.
Has anyone changed any of the pulley or just the bearing and so any info would like.
I have 60,000 miles and maybe if can can replace bearings well why wouldn't I
I usually do most my own repairs.
Nick
seadaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2018, 02:15 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes.. DARN. I can't believe I didn't write the bearing part number down... Anyway, its a common bearing, both idlers and the tensioner idler use the same one..

Belt and Idler pulley replacement – 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:36 AM   #3

Idler Pulley

Thank You so much and was hoping what # for bearing but when I take the
pulley off I can bring to parts store and your info was very helpful.
I am not sure my noise is the pulley but after breaking down on the side of 95
and $550.00 I don't want the new belt or bad pulley to break again.
I was so happy to get going again with 4 hours down time and not need to leave our MH some place waiting for repair and the hardest part was finding
some one to come repair on the side of 95.
Thanks again and love this forum with so much great help.
Nick
seadaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:14 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
When you get the belt off, spin all the pulleys, A/C, Power Steering, water pump, Alternator, and idlers.. If they don't fell smooth, replaces the bearings or the component..

Depending on the age, You may be ready for a water pump as a preventative measure.. I do a lot of preventative replacement, but I drive a 19 year old MH and don't want any breakdowns.

Replacing Water pump and Thermostat on F53 – 1999 Southwind 35S

Old 08-30-2018, 06:06 PM   #5

Waiter21, most of the idlers take a 202, some take a 203. Ring any bells?
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 07:09 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Waiter21, most of the idlers take a 202, some take a 203. Ring any bells?
6202 rings a bell, but I think thats the most common bearing in th world..
Old 09-02-2018, 08:33 AM   #7

We just had our belt replaced, all idler pulleys & tentioner, whole works replaced to be on the safe side. Cost a bit more than $250.00 for the whole process, but it was at a shop where my brothers son works.
I have a noise I here on start up when I turn the a/c on. My guess is, it is coming from the belt trying to rotate the compressor pulley & the tention on the belt is jerking on the tentioner pulley back & forth trying to keep the belt tight. Just my guess, cause I dont hear it any other time except for when turning the a/c on.
Oh, would you believe, unless the owner before us had a new belt put on in the 26,000 miles they put on it, it went to 109,000 before we changed it. We changed out the Plugs & coils at 110,000. I have a lot of problems with some of the junky stuff Ford does, but those things we replaced must have been some quality products they used on this 98 F53 chassis.
Neil

Tags
f53, fan