Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2006, 12:17 PM   #1

I have a 1999 Ford with a 6.8 litre V-10. I was going to replace the serpent belt. Went to Auto Zone; they didn't have one; then to O'Reilly's Auto Supply and they listed two. One, as I recall was something about it being 'naked.' The other was a Gates KO81000. Another (smaller) number on the package is 8PK2542 may be an old number. They sold me the Gates KO81000 and said they did not stock the other. The other one is about an inch longer.

I called Ford's motor home 800 # and they were not able to give me a belt size or number.

Anyway, has anyone replaced this belt or have any information on which belt is the proper one? Leaving next week for old Mexico for three months and would like to replace it before we leave. Any help would be appreciated.

Larry
Ragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2006, 12:17 PM   #2

I have a 1999 Ford with a 6.8 litre V-10. I was going to replace the serpent belt. Went to Auto Zone; they didn't have one; then to O'Reilly's Auto Supply and they listed two. One, as I recall was something about it being 'naked.' The other was a Gates KO81000. Another (smaller) number on the package is 8PK2542 may be an old number. They sold me the Gates KO81000 and said they did not stock the other. The other one is about an inch longer.

I called Ford's motor home 800 # and they were not able to give me a belt size or number.

Anyway, has anyone replaced this belt or have any information on which belt is the proper one? Leaving next week for old Mexico for three months and would like to replace it before we leave. Any help would be appreciated.

Larry
Old 12-13-2006, 09:40 PM   #3

Larry, you might try going to a Ford dealership parts department and either get one from them or get their part #. Most other parts stores will have a cross reference catalog for OEM parts. Just a thought.

Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 05:58 AM   #4

Thanks Jim. I thought about that but am about 40 miles from a Ford dealer and thought someone might know the belt number for Gates so I could pick it up nearby.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:09 PM   #5

The Motorcraft number is JK8-1107A, this is the number for over 8500# chassis 6.8L

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 01:09 PM   #6

40 miles, that is a bit of a ways to go, sorry I can't help, but maybe someone else might be able to. Another idea, what if you bought the two with different numbers, would O'Riley's let you return the one that didn't fit and refund your money? I know it would be kind of a pain in the neck, but just an thought.

Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 08:19 PM   #7

Ragman...Last april I took my '99 V-10 in to a Ford Dealer that does a lot of work on MH's. Had my brake fluid changed. Also told them to check and replace, if necessary, the serpentine belt. They said mine was good and didn't need to be replaced. I bought the belt to carry as a spare. Invoice says the part number is
JK8 1107 as N8XV stated above. Hope this helps.
Regards, JD
Old 12-31-2006, 05:48 AM   #8

Bill and John Dotas, Thanks for the replies and giving me the numbers. My fan belt doesn't look worn at all but I would like to have a replacement since we are heading for Mexico tomorrow and will be there for three months. Kinda gives you that warm feeling. Appreciate your help.

Best regards and happy RVing.

Larry