RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2014, 06:01 PM   #1

Fleetwood RV starting problem Ford V10

Fleetwood RV starting problem.

I have a 2001 fleetwood Storm 30class A motorhome, after siting in storage for two months I had was seemed to be a dead battery, so I jump started the RV with my car, started right up after 2min of charging off the car.

After getting the RV home and letting it charge for several days, the RV would not start again, I tried jump starting again but that did not work. Next I took the battery to the Parts store and they tested it at 30% so I let them continue charging the battery to 100%, back in the RV the RV would still not start

(I'm getting a click, from the starter itself)

Next I started checking all positive and negative connections, cleaning (wire brush) as I went from battery to starter, but still no change.

Next I pulled the starter and had it tested, it tested OK, in the long run I replaced this too, but the RV still will not start, just the click.

Next I replaced the starter switch /solenoid located ton the frame /fire wall of the RV, still the RV will not start.

Next I decided to check isolator switches after removing checking cleaning, they seem to be I new working condition, still the RV will not start ( but at this time I do notice their is a click coming from the house battery isolator switch as the RV ignition is turned to the start position? I don't know if that is normal? But the RV will not start

Next I checked all fuzes and re check all connections cleaning the ground connections along the frame. As well I decided to also add two jumper cables to the negative side of the battery and the frame to see if the grounding cable could be separated somewhere, but the RV still will not start.

I'm starting to get frustrated, would anyone have an idea of the problem, what am I missing.

I should add I also replaced the battery with the one from my truck but the RV still would not start, I keep thinking about the battery isolator switches, just feels like that could be an area of concern?

TopherD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2014, 08:35 PM   #2

have you tryed to roll the motor over with out the starter with a tool or some thing

is the motor its self lock up

terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:01 PM   #3

terry735001
Thanks, no I have not tried, turning the motor over manually sounds like I should try that, I will go out and give that a try now
Old 06-22-2014, 09:13 PM   #4

terry735001
Ok back, and yes the motor turns over by hand as it should, thank you for that idea, and thank s again
Old 06-22-2014, 09:32 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Attached is the troubleshooting guide and schematics for your Battery Control Center. It was posted by loulong for another member having problems with his 99 Bounder. If your problem is with the BCC and you follow the steps for testing the board you will find your problem.

Chuck
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Latest BCC Info.pdf (314.2 KB, 330 views)
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, B&W Custom Truck Bed, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000, 1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:21 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
If you have the ford chassis, there is a lone relay in the dog house, had random starting issues for years, changed starter,ign. Switch Etc EVERYTHING twice $1500 finally had a backyard tech look at it, there is a relay in the top left inside the dog house on the firewall, the guy said ' hey it rattles think thats it?' $10 relay and handshake never failed again.... Good luck.
johnboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:26 PM   #7

Chuck, thanks! This will defiantly hep me thanks
Old 06-22-2014, 10:30 PM   #8

Johnboy99,

Is this the second one for the starter? If so yes I found that and replaced it, found that one while tracing wires, this one was not my issue, unfortunately, If your talking about another one? I would need to find it, let me know if we are talking the same one

Thank you
Old 06-23-2014, 03:41 PM   #9

Starting problem fixed

First thank you all for your help! If nothing more than a sounding board, all input is a great help to get to a resolution.

I found the problem in the power cable that runs from the battery to the alternator, corrosion worked its way in to the ends of the connectors, and the cable though sowing 12V at eat her side with vary clean connections to the electrical posts, would not Cary the load needed to start the engine. In the end I'm replacing all the ends to the cables and shortening the main lead to the alternator by about 2 feet.

After many trouble shooting ideas (I have a much better understanding of the RV now! ) I tried a new grounding cable, this made no difference, then I tried running a jumper from the battery positive lead directly to the starter, turned the key and it started right up!

Much happier now, and the family will be happy to hear the camping trip is on

Thank you!
Old 06-23-2014, 11:08 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Makes you feel good when you can fix a problem on your your own. Sometimes very frustrating, but the more you do on your own the more you know about your MH. Thanks for the update.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, B&W Custom Truck Bed, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000, 1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:06 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopherD View Post
First thank you all for your help! If nothing more than a sounding board, all input is a great help to get to a resolution.

I found the problem in the power cable that runs from the battery to the alternator, corrosion worked its way in to the ends of the connectors, and the cable though sowing 12V at eat her side with vary clean connections to the electrical posts, would not Cary the load needed to start the engine. In the end I'm replacing all the ends to the cables and shortening the main lead to the alternator by about 2 feet.

After many trouble shooting ideas (I have a much better understanding of the RV now! ) I tried a new grounding cable, this made no difference, then I tried running a jumper from the battery positive lead directly to the starter, turned the key and it started right up!

Much happier now, and the family will be happy to hear the camping trip is on

Thank you!

What type of cable did you use? Does it fit under the existing battery connector?
golfpgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfpgb View Post
What type of cable did you use? Does it fit under the existing battery connector?
I used the original cable, cutting one end by a foot and the other by two, the use a vary long cable from the factory, cutting it down makes for a better fit and allowed me to remove the corroded ends.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:27 AM   #13

I'm with cables also. Does the engine, start battery reside under the front hood? If so does it have ford built cables? If so does the positive have two conductors leaving the batt post clamp? If so, one cable goes to starter and the other goes to the underhood fuse and relay panel. I have seen the cable going to the starter loosing connection due to internal corrosion. The other cable works so you get everything and the click when trying to start but no starter. To test, this sounds brutal but take a nail and drive into the clamp where the cable that goes to the starter leaves the batt clamp. Drive small nail parallel to the cable and right next to cable. If she starts, replace pos cable!! I do not recommend repairing cable with "marine" clamps and swedge on connecters as this will lead to nasty corrosion.
As to the starter solinoid under hood, I have not seen any ford using one in a v10. The starter has another solinoid and this is what you hear click when you get the no start. Hope this helps!

stink is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood, ford, v10