Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2017, 10:18 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Fluid types - 2013 Ford V-10 Triton, Gas

In preparation for my longest trip yet (5500 miles RT) I want to make sure I have some extra fluids on board. Oil is always a given but I want every type of fluid.

Each of you who have the 2013 Ford Triton V-10 (22,000 lb. chassis) please agree or not or add your opinion to the following that I found. I hope I am reading it correctly so double check for me.

Transmission & Power Steering fluid - Motorcraft Mercon LV ATF

Coolant - Motorcraft Premium Gold (yellow colored)

Brake fluid - Hydromax brake booster - 22,000 lbs. DOT 5.1 Motor vehicle brake fluid

Adam1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2017, 07:56 AM   #2

They are all available at every truck stop and even convenience store gas stations.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:06 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
My question is do i have the correct fluid types notated?

My question is do i have the correct fluid types notated?

I appreciate your response but I like to be prepared (at least in my mind).
Old 05-21-2017, 10:48 AM   #4

I'm assuming that's the information you got from page 128/9 of your owner's manual?

Why wouldn't trust that?

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 11:00 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
I'm assuming that's the information you got from page 128/9 of your owner's manual?

Why wouldn't trust that?
Not sure the page number but it shows two types of transmission and two types of brake fluid. I wanted to make sure I interpreted it correctly and have someone corroborate my findings, that's all.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:13 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Fluids

I was unable to find the coolant or brake fluid at Autozone, Advance Auto, Walmart or my local RV store.

Since my unit is still under a warranty I wanted to get the exact recommended fluid types. I was able to get through the Ford dealer but they had to order the Dot 5.1 brake fluid. Price was a little more than usual but not double like it once was for dealer prices.

Advance Auto does carry some Motorcraft parts and fluids but none were the ones I needed per my owners manual so I'm not so sure your local convenience store has them.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:41 AM   #7

Oil is the only fluid you should need to carry, unless your able to do roadside repairs.

The other 3 fluids you mention are not a consumable item. If you need them, you also need some kind of repair.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 06:38 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
The ones you have listed look correct.

Specifically, Mercon ATF for the trans and power steering, and DOT 3 or 5 for the brakes. And Orange for the coolant.
Don't mix the two different coolant type (orange vs green). They use different chemicals to achieve the lower freezing points and are not comparable.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Specifically, Mercon ATF for the trans and power steering
That's absolutely wrong. MERCON ATF went out of production in 2006. No Ford transmission since then has used MERCON.

According to the owner's manual, page 128, the transmission requires MERCON LV. If you were to put MERCON in this transmission, expect to replace the transmission in a few miles.

In the same manual, page 129, it says that MERCON LV is the correct fluid for the power steering.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:44 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Mark, yes, Thank you for clarify this.

I agreed, what the OP said was correct
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:44 PM   #11

I would carry some Gold coolant. Yes that's the right type.
On my MH, on the brake reservoir it says right on it DOT 4. Check yours. Don't think you need to carry that though
I would carry a Qt. of oil for the generator JIC
Not sure about your tranny oil you mentioned...check chassis manual

In addition: (I know, I know...we're all full of advice right?)
• a can of Silicone lubricant for your jack cylinders. Spray & then wipe frequently. Might also want to give the seals at the bottom of the jack stands a shot of grease before you leave
• Probably the most important fluids you'll need is water for ice and booze for you cocktails/beer

• If you don't have Coachnet roadside service I'd seriously consider it
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:16 AM   #12

Zerex G05

For the coolant, I like to use Zerex G05. It was the original HOAT fill for many years in the Ford and Chrysler vehicles. It is Ford WSS-M97B51-A1 approved, so check that against your owners manual to make sure. There are several manufacturers that are now changing over to OAT style coolants. Here is a LINK to the product technical bulletin showing all of the specs it meets for each manufacturer.

Whatever you do, don't add DexCool. In the past whenever you told the auto parts counter guy you needed a "special coolant", that's what they would give you, regardless of application. I've seen quite a few plugged radiators after that happens. And, just because the fluid is yellow - like the "Universal" Extended Life coolants offered under Peak, O'Reilly Auto and Prestone branding - won't make it compatible with the HOAT Zerex G05 factory fill.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluid, ford, gas