Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2016, 09:32 AM   #85

In case you missed it on the Ford threads.....

I loaded the 5 Star Tune and it enhanced the shift patterns even more than the Ford Fix. Almost, but not quite, too much.

The extra power and torque is also nicely appreciated.

I like the combination. No more smoking brakes for me!!!!

Bill
2016 Itasca Sunstar LX 27n, unattractive brownish hue. 530 Watts roof mounted solar, 165 Watts portable solar, Winegard G2 Sat Antenna, Progressive Industries Surge Protector, TPMS, Sirius Satellite Radio.
superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2016, 12:41 PM   #86

Got back from the Ford dealer a couple hours ago. Tow haul all fixed. Now when in tow haul if a press the brake the transmission downshifts. If I hold the brake down it keeps downshifting as it slows.

Should be a BIG improvement when going down hills and the mountains.

Jerry
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:30 PM   #87

When is the tsb coming out or is it out already this is a good thread I don't think mine was working either 2016 vista lx 27n
Old 12-10-2016, 10:41 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badhemi View Post
When is the tsb coming out or is it out already this is a good thread I don't think mine was working either 2016 vista lx 27n
The TSB has been out since August. Ford will not contact you on this. It is on you to get it fixed.
hfbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 11:36 PM   #89

Go to the first post and print out the info on the fix. Bring it with you to the dealership it will help them. Took less than an hour to do
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 06:04 PM   #90

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Had mine done today. Took them almost 2 hours while I waited. Wow! What a difference. Did tow/haul even work at all until the fix? I really could not tell if it was doing anything before the update. There are a couple of big hills on my way home. I only had to tap the brake a couple of times, where before I was riding the brake all the way down the grade.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:54 AM   #91

Many Thanks to the pioneers on this issue. Your knowledge and persistence with Ford has helped many of us with a problem that a lot of us didn't know we had.
I didn't have any experience with this transmission when I bought this MH and my owners manual is less than clear on the proper operation. I just kept thinking, "why did they make it so hard to get to 3rd gear on a down grade?" 3rd seems to be just the right gear for many of the hills out here in the west. At my local Ford dealership (now my former dealership) I was told that the transmission would only downshift to 3rd when using cruise control for grade braking. This works, but its like juggling snakes while driving. You can do it , but it's not any fun.
Then I discovered this thread and lo and behold the answer to all my questions (transmission related anyway). And then thanks to Brushbuster for his quick response and information on a different local Ford dealer that knew what they were doing.
This dealer worked on my MH yesterday. Wow, I feel like I have a brand new MH. This is a wonderful feature and will make driving the MH much easier and more fun in the mountains. You can't drive very far without driving in the mountains here. (Portland, OR area) Again, Many Thanks to you pioneers on this issue. I will be thanking you every time I drive down a grade this summer.
davet911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:12 PM   #92

Dave, thanks for the kind words. I believe I was the first owner to declare the inoperable tow haul feature a design defect in this forum. However, once I got it going several other owners joined me. We had to deal with many naysayers. We had a least a half dozen threads going in this forum. I took it to the Freedom Roads forum and was treated like an untouchable. I think the turning point was when I persuaded other owners to file NHTSA complaints. I filed the first one in December 2015. Finally I was able to get the Ford manager of the F53/F59 division involved. Unfortunately, I had to take mine in for the software upgrade twice. the first download only allowed a downshift from 6th to 5th. I live up north of you in Anacortes, WA. I will be driving through your area this coming weekend.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:37 PM   #93

thank you!

I normally take it very easy when driving - I am a new RV driver, and didn't know HOW a Tow/Haul feature should work. Since I have been taking it easy, I didn't know anything was up.

On this 3 week trip I am taking now, I was coming out of Tahoe down into Carson City and the slope and length of the grade pretty much had me riding my brakes the whole way down. When I reached the bottom of the hill in Carson City I could barely stop, almost had to stand on the brakes. Glanced out my window and brakes were SMOKING.

Pulled to the side and let them cool down for an hour while having lunch. Luckily started researching and came upon this thread. Called up AutoNation Ford in Fort Worth, TX and they got me in same day to apply this fix. Even NOT in Tow/Haul mode I can say that it was handling better when braking, getting an occasional downshift on steeper grades. I also had some issues with Cruise Control where if I were to set it at 64, every hill/head wind that I encountered would slow it down, and it never really went back up to 64 (even after 15 minutes flat). This seems to have fixed that issue as well.

I don't understand why this isn't a recall issue. If not for this fix, I could have slammed into a few cars after coming down that hill from Tahoe.
randomguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:34 PM   #94

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayzor View Post
I was coming out of Tahoe down into Carson City and the slope and length of the grade pretty much had me riding my brakes the whole way.
Never a good idea to "ride" the brakes when going down a hill. It's better to apply and let off, brakes cool, apply and let off, brakes cool, etc.

Glad you were able to get the tow haul program fixed.
NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA 455593, WIT 170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 03:41 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayzor View Post
I normally take it very easy when driving - I am a new RV driver, and didn't know HOW a Tow/Haul feature should work. Since I have been taking it easy, I didn't know anything was up.

On this 3 week trip I am taking now, I was coming out of Tahoe down into Carson City and the slope and length of the grade pretty much had me riding my brakes the whole way down. When I reached the bottom of the hill in Carson City I could barely stop, almost had to stand on the brakes. Glanced out my window and brakes were SMOKING.

Pulled to the side and let them cool down for an hour while having lunch. Luckily started researching and came upon this thread. Called up AutoNation Ford in Fort Worth, TX and they got me in same day to apply this fix. Even NOT in Tow/Haul mode I can say that it was handling better when braking, getting an occasional downshift on steeper grades. I also had some issues with Cruise Control where if I were to set it at 64, every hill/head wind that I encountered would slow it down, and it never really went back up to 64 (even after 15 minutes flat). This seems to have fixed that issue as well.

I don't understand why this isn't a recall issue. If not for this fix, I could have slammed into a few cars after coming down that hill from Tahoe.
Glad you got it fixed. What concerns me is that you could have manually downshifted and saved your brakes. If you have to be on them you are in too high a gear. Tow/haul just makes it easier to downshift by doing it for you or when you hit the brakes.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 07:06 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
Never a good idea to "ride" the brakes when going down a hill. It's better to apply and let off, brakes cool, apply and let off, brakes cool, etc.

Glad you were able to get the tow haul program fixed.
Cover Dog is correct. The procedure is called stab braking. You apply the brakes hard and significantly reduce speed, well below the speed you want to be going. Then release the brakes and let the speed increase. The release of the brakes lets them cool a bit. Then stab the brakes again.

On a steep hill, the axiom is one gear lower than it took to get up the hill.

Tow-Haul is really good on my 2016 after the update was applied.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:32 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
Cover Dog is correct. The procedure is called stab braking. You apply the brakes hard and significantly reduce speed, well below the speed you want to be going. Then release the brakes and let the speed increase. The release of the brakes lets them cool a bit. Then stab the brakes again.

On a steep hill, the axiom is one gear lower than it took to get up the hill.

Tow-Haul is really good on my 2016 after the update was applied.
Completely agree, of course I didn't learn this until AFTER I had the issue. Even so, having a functional tow/haul would have helped to prevent that

I've seen a couple people mention manually downshifting, do you mean just shift it into 4/2/1 as needed on the gear selector (P/R/N/D/4/2/1)? Why is there no 3 ?
randomguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 03:45 PM   #98

"I don't understand why this isn't a recall issue. If not for this fix, I could have slammed into a few cars after coming down that hill from Tahoe."

I don't think I convinced enough owners to file safety complaints to make it a recall issue. There were only 7 or 8 of us that actually filed a complaint with NHTSA. I knew it didn't work when I drove my motorhome home and took a lot of precautions to not smoke my brakes. If we had more testimony filed from owners like you, it might have been a recall issue.

Tags
tow