RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-08-2015, 02:32 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Brockx's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Punta Gorda FL.
Posts: 2,661
FYI the 24K and 26K Ford chassis are the same also, with the exception of rear spring rating. Both carry 30K GCWR.

Makes me wonder why they bother with the 16 and 24???
__________________

__________________
2008 Bounder 38P F53 24/30K V10, 2013 Kia Soul Basic 6 speed manual, Ready Brake Elite tow system (previous equipment 1996 Pace Arrow Vision w/Acme Dolly)
Brockx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2015, 02:59 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
aauummm's Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Altoona, Iowa
Posts: 1,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
FYI the 24K and 26K Ford chassis are the same also, with the exception of rear spring rating. Both carry 30K GCWR.

Makes me wonder why they bother with the 16 and 24???
Exactly. I was wondering the same thing also. I'd have to sit down with a Ford engineer and try to pinpoint the differences. I know there are different wheelbases as the 16K chassis has an available 158" wheelbase but the 18K does not.

So maybe the motorhome manufacturers only use the 158" wheelbase when using the 16K chassis and maybe they only use the 178" wheelbase when using the 18K chassis. They each have differing maximum payload capacities.

Also, we have only the specs that Ford has made available so there are probably additional specs that Ford hasn't included in their charts.
__________________

__________________
2010 Itasca Sunova 33C, (lots of upgrades and modifications)
2011 Honda CRV, 2004 Rubicon (many modifications)
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:36 PM   #17
Registered User
 
LVRVLUVR's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
FYI the 24K and 26K Ford chassis are the same also, with the exception of rear spring rating. Both carry 30K GCWR.

Makes me wonder why they bother with the 16 and 24???
I think because the harsh ride of unloaded GVWR
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:38 PM   #18
Registered User
 
LVRVLUVR's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Gross can mean 144 of something, or

"gross weight n
1. (Commerce) total weight of an article inclusive of the weight of the container and packaging"

It has nothing to do with maximum load, that's what the Rating (R) is for.

Some folks on the forum think they can buy a F-150 and by adding springs or air bags they can make it haul what a F-250 or F-350 can. That is false and leads people to expensive mistakes. I don't think forum members are acting responsibly when they suggest such a thing. I'm not accusing you of that, because I still don't quite understand the reason for your initial post.
I don't know, maybe read it holy weep'n jesus
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:47 PM   #19
Registered User
 
LVRVLUVR's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
Exactly. I was wondering the same thing also. I'd have to sit down with a Ford engineer and try to pinpoint the differences. I know there are different wheelbases as the 16K chassis has an available 158" wheelbase but the 18K does not.

So maybe the motorhome manufacturers only use the 158" wheelbase when using the 16K chassis and maybe they only use the 178" wheelbase when using the 18K chassis. They each have differing maximum payload capacities.

Also, we have only the specs that Ford has made available so there are probably additional specs that Ford hasn't included in their charts.
mines a 16k on 178


the web site says I have a 18k chassis... but the sticker says 16k on the coach,... also the springs are painted 16k

so after searching it out found out from ford that the only diff is spring deflection..ever nut and bolt is the same... thought I'd pass that on...

the question comes up about the e350 vs 450... not the same ...e350 is way lighter duty and the rear end is smaller..

jus spread'n the word..
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 05:02 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Brockx's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Punta Gorda FL.
Posts: 2,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forcefull View Post
I don't know, maybe read it holy weep'n jesus
__________________
2008 Bounder 38P F53 24/30K V10, 2013 Kia Soul Basic 6 speed manual, Ready Brake Elite tow system (previous equipment 1996 Pace Arrow Vision w/Acme Dolly)
Brockx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 05:12 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Brockx's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Punta Gorda FL.
Posts: 2,661
Here is a good Ford Chart lots of info. The 16K has 3 wb's the 18K has 2 (common to 16K) the 24K and 26K have 3 wb's common to both.

This has a different title than the one above, didn't compare them 2015 Ford Stripped Chassis Work Trucks | View Payload Specifications | Ford.com
__________________
2008 Bounder 38P F53 24/30K V10, 2013 Kia Soul Basic 6 speed manual, Ready Brake Elite tow system (previous equipment 1996 Pace Arrow Vision w/Acme Dolly)
Brockx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 05:39 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
aauummm's Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Altoona, Iowa
Posts: 1,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forcefull View Post
mines a 16k on 178


the web site says I have a 18k chassis... but the sticker says 16k on the coach,... also the springs are painted 16k

so after searching it out found out from ford that the only diff is spring deflection..ever nut and bolt is the same... thought I'd pass that on...

the question comes up about the e350 vs 450... not the same ...e350 is way lighter duty and the rear end is smaller..

jus spread'n the word..
OK, if the sticker and springs say 16K then that's what you've got. Looking at the Winnebago brochure for your MH it says the same thing, 16K, 178". Even if you had an 18K chassis, the maximum allowable combined weight is 23K.
__________________
2010 Itasca Sunova 33C, (lots of upgrades and modifications)
2011 Honda CRV, 2004 Rubicon (many modifications)
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 05:55 PM   #23
Registered User
 
LVRVLUVR's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
Here is a good Ford Chart lots of info. The 16K has 3 wb's the 18K has 2 (common to 16K) the 24K and 26K have 3 wb's common to both.

This has a different title than the one above, didn't compare them 2015 Ford Stripped Chassis Work Trucks | View Payload Specifications | Ford.com
interesting, thanks
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 05:56 PM   #24
Registered User
 
LVRVLUVR's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
OK, if the sticker and springs say 16K then that's what you've got. Looking at the Winnebago brochure for your MH it says the same thing, 16K, 178". Even if you had an 18K chassis, the maximum allowable combined weight is 23K.
lol... sooooo.... how bout I go on a diet
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:23 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
aauummm's Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Altoona, Iowa
Posts: 1,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forcefull View Post
lol... sooooo.... how bout I go on a diet
What the heck, why not!
__________________
2010 Itasca Sunova 33C, (lots of upgrades and modifications)
2011 Honda CRV, 2004 Rubicon (many modifications)
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:44 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
FYI the 24K and 26K Ford chassis are the same also, with the exception of rear spring rating. Both carry 30K GCWR.

Makes me wonder why they bother with the 16 and 24???
While they both have the same GCWR the weight is distributed differently. The 24K chassis only allows 24,000 lbs. to be loaded directly on the chassis. However it can tow an additional 6,000 lbs.

The 26K unit allows more weight on the chassis for larger motorhomes like the Winnebago Adventurer 38Q. However it is somewhat limited in towing with only a 4,000 lb. capacity.
__________________
Hikerdogs
2013 Adventurer 32H
Hikerdogs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:11 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Brockx's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Punta Gorda FL.
Posts: 2,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
While they both have the same GCWR the weight is distributed differently. The 24K chassis only allows 24,000 lbs. to be loaded directly on the chassis. However it can tow an additional 6,000 lbs.

The 26K unit allows more weight on the chassis for larger motorhomes like the Winnebago Adventurer 38Q. However it is somewhat limited in towing with only a 4,000 lb. capacity.
Actually my 24K has a 38'3" with 3 slides setting on it with a 30K GCWR and a 6000# hitch. My load capacity beyond curb weight is about 4500# to hit the 24K GVW.

The 26K example you are referring to would have the same hitch with the limitation the same @ 30K GVWR. You would only be limited to less tow weight if you exceded 24K total coach weight.

Winny #38Q has a 5000# hitch and a note saying that it will vary with GCW etc..

Fleetwood has not used anything bigger than 22K since they dropped the 38P floorplan in 2010.
__________________
2008 Bounder 38P F53 24/30K V10, 2013 Kia Soul Basic 6 speed manual, Ready Brake Elite tow system (previous equipment 1996 Pace Arrow Vision w/Acme Dolly)
Brockx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:51 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
Actually my 24K has a 38'3" with 3 slides setting on it with a 30K GCWR and a 6000# hitch. My load capacity beyond curb weight is about 4500# to hit the 24K GVW.

The 26K example you are referring to would have the same hitch with the limitation the same @ 30K GVWR. You would only be limited to less tow weight if you exceded 24K total coach weight.

Winny #38Q has a 5000# hitch and a note saying that it will vary with GCW etc..

Fleetwood has not used anything bigger than 22K since they dropped the 38P floorplan in 2010.
The point is that each step up the chassis ladder from the 16K to the 26K allows more weight to be carried on the chassis itself. The 16K and 18K have the same GCWR. The 20,500K and the 22,000K have the same GCWR. The 24K and the 26K have the same GCWR. However in each of the intervals the larger chassis has a larger GVWR.

Some manufacturers offer options that can add considerable weight on the chassis. A 4 door residential refrigerator for example weighs more than a smaller Norcold. It also requires a larger battery bank. A washer and dryer add weight. Some manufactures also install larger black and grey water tanks. All these things add weight to the chassis. The larger chassis allow for heavier options to be carried on the chassis itself. The trade off is less towing capacity should you decide to load the chassis to its maximum GVWR.
__________________

__________________
Hikerdogs
2013 Adventurer 32H
Hikerdogs is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
chassis, ford



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie looking at truck / 5er combo Cameraman 5th Wheel Discussion 19 10-30-2013 02:56 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.