RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2014, 08:20 AM   #15

LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2014, 08:22 AM   #16

Old 12-31-2014, 08:28 AM   #17

Old 12-31-2014, 08:34 AM   #18

Old 12-31-2014, 08:58 AM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't disagree with the math regarding percentage of weights and distribution of the weights etc. Our coach is a 31 foot 2014 Vista 30T on a 2013 chassis, 190" wheel base FNT-7-K & Rear-12-K LBS, or GVWR of 18,000 lbs. and a GCWR of 23,000.

GVWR (18,000 lbs) This is the max allowable weight of a fully loaded coach: liquids, passengers, cargo & towed vehicle tongue weight.

GCWR (23,000 lbs) This adds the GVRW (18-K) & the weight of your towed vehicle for a combined weight not over 23-K.

We weighed the coach when we picked it up in Forest City
Front axle- 5,450 LBS
Rear axle- 11,000 LBS
Total weight 16,450
This gives us 1,550 of possible added weight to reach the max GVWR of 18,000 lbs.

The wheelbase ratio is at 51% which according to all I've read is marginal.

That said. I've done the CHF, added a rear track bar, a steering stabilizer shock and the Safe-T-Steer. I spent about $650 so far on these changes. The coach is aligned correctly and we are at 82 front, and 90 tire pressure on the rears.

We have logged over 8,000 miles and I can honestly say that it drives very well. I could (but don't) drive with two fingers on the steering wheel. I'm relaxed while driving except in construction or heavy city type of traffic with narrow roads. Semi's passing (2-lane roads) are absolutely not a problem and semi's approaching from the rear are also good for the most part. Wind gusts are good but during windy and gusty conditions it is prudent to pay close attention, but it is still not difficult to handle.

I'm a happy camper and have still considered adding 4 Firestone air bags. I've used them before and do like them.

As stated earlier, every coach is different and should be evaluated on a case by case basis. Yes gain all the knowledge that you can. Also common sense tells me to perform those changes that are less expensive and do them one at a time then evaluate the results. Then spend your $$$$$$ adding the expensive stuff to gain some further improvements. Yes you can read reviews of different changes like the Henderson's line-up of suspension stuff and the Kelderman's suspension improvements. That's always a smart thing to do.

TeJay
Old 12-31-2014, 09:11 AM   #20

oh... and heres what hendersons has to say,,,
Old 12-31-2014, 09:19 AM   #21

heres what happened on my 26' coach...i had to go to a lighter spring in the rear

Old 12-31-2014, 09:22 AM   #22

heres the trailer we tow,,,worth the look,,...

Old 12-31-2014, 12:50 PM   #23

Thanks - This response was very well thought out and provided the guidance I was looking for, I think I will start with CHF, and Rear track bar and go for the sumo's as well.
scoudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:18 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoudi View Post
Thanks - This response was very well thought out and provided the guidance I was looking for, I think I will start with CHF, and Rear track bar and go for the sumo's as well.
I've always used the davis tru trac bar.... but after the sumo's it needed nothing else the white vista is at mike thompsons in colton cal....
worth the test drive... that coach is a rocket on rails...
Old 01-01-2015, 08:08 AM   #25
mre

Anybody have any idea if Sumos negate the necessity for a steering stabilizer system in a front tire blow out situation?
mre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:30 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed rzepka View Post
Anybody have any idea if Sumos negate the necessity for a steering stabilizer system in a front tire blow out situation?
good question,,....

I'm gonna go with sumo not helping because that would be in the steering not suspension.. but real answer is ,..
I don't know cause I haven't tried nor have I had a blow out in the front with sumos installed
Old 01-02-2015, 08:53 AM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'll agree with 2forcefull's response as well.

Here's another way of looking at Sumo's and a steering stabilizer. The Sumo's basically are an air bag without the air. That's how they are advertised. Will they help with a blow out??? From the fact that they will reduce sway then yes to some extent. Will they help as much as a steer-Safe system?? Probably not.

Consider this. All suspension parts: leaf springs, shocks, air bags, Sumo's, anti-sway bars, track bars, steering dampeners, Steer-Safe-Systems etc, etc all work together to improve ride and handling. Each one contributes something to all aspects of your coaches response to driving and the road conditions.

Take one example. If you are driving 60 MPH and hit a big dip with one front tire a series of things happen. The spring compresses, the shock dampens the spring movement, the air bag resists further compression, the sway bar resists roll/sway of the coach etc, etc. Each component designed for the suspension works and contributes a certain percentage to aid in reducing the effects of hitting that one big depression in the road.

Here's the real kicker. Because of the many, many variables between coaches each component may contribute more or less to the overall results. One person may add Sumo's and notice a 40% increase in what he/she perceives as better ride and handling. The next guy may only notice a 5% or 10% improvement.

That's why it's so darn hard to definitively say that adding this part or that part really, really helps to improve ride & handling (R&H)

It's real simple for me. If I add Sumo's and I get a 5% improvement or a 50% improvement it's still better than before.

Last year I built and added a steering shock stabilizer. I can't honestly say if it helped. The shock that I got was for a smaller truck. I may buy one that I know is for a MH. In the mean time I'll leave it on. It probably helps some. Do I regret doing it??? NOPE. Would I do it again?? YEP. Only cost me a little time and about $100 for parts. Maybe with a correct shock I'll notice a bigger improvement.

TeJay
Old 01-02-2015, 09:09 AM   #28
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forcefull View Post
good question,,....

I'm gonna go with sumo not helping because that would be in the steering not suspension.. but real answer is ,..
I don't know cause I haven't tried nor have I had a blow out in the front with sumos installed

Our company finally left and I was able to watch all your videos. The first thing that struck me was I was wondering who was hold the camera. Then I saw the you reflection in the instrument gauge panel. Then saw you switch lanes and I am assuming you were still holding the camera. It is impressive.

I not quite technically as good as you guys, but my feeling agree with your opinion on a steering stabilizer and expressed by you and Tejay, When we purchase a motorhome I will probably get both.

ed

mre is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood, ford, suspension, upgrade