RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2015, 09:24 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
I'll agree with 2forcefull's response as well.

Here's another way of looking at Sumo's and a steering stabilizer. The Sumo's basically are an air bag without the air. That's how they are advertised. Will they help with a blow out??? From the fact that they will reduce sway then yes to some extent. Will they help as much as a steer-Safe system?? Probably not.

Consider this. All suspension parts: leaf springs, shocks, air bags, Sumo's, anti-sway bars, track bars, steering dampeners, Steer-Safe-Systems etc, etc all work together to improve ride and handling. Each one contributes something to all aspects of your coaches response to driving and the road conditions.

Take one example. If you are driving 60 MPH and hit a big dip with one front tire a series of things happen. The spring compresses, the shock dampens the spring movement, the air bag resists further compression, the sway bar resists roll/sway of the coach etc, etc. Each component designed for the suspension works and contributes a certain percentage to aid in reducing the effects of hitting that one big depression in the road.

Here's the real kicker. Because of the many, many variables between coaches each component may contribute more or less to the overall results. One person may add Sumo's and notice a 40% increase in what he/she perceives as better ride and handling. The next guy may only notice a 5% or 10% improvement.

That's why it's so darn hard to definitively say that adding this part or that part really, really helps to improve ride & handling (R&H)

It's real simple for me. If I add Sumo's and I get a 5% improvement or a 50% improvement it's still better than before.

Last year I built and added a steering shock stabilizer. I can't honestly say if it helped. The shock that I got was for a smaller truck. I may buy one that I know is for a MH. In the mean time I'll leave it on. It probably helps some. Do I regret doing it??? NOPE. Would I do it again?? YEP. Only cost me a little time and about $100 for parts. Maybe with a correct shock I'll notice a bigger improvement.

TeJay
Well said TeJay. Personally, I won't claim that any one modification that I make is the "greatest thing since sliced tomatoes" just because of the reasons you've laid out above.

We each make decisions on what modifications we want to make on our motorhomes and all for different reasons. Expectations are different with each person. Some may expect a modification to make the F53 ride like a Greyhound bus-it won't happen. Others are more realistic and might be satisfied with a 20% improvement.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2015, 09:59 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed rzepka View Post
Our company finally left and I was able to watch all your videos. The first thing that struck me was I was wondering who was hold the camera. Then I saw the you reflection in the instrument gauge panel. Then saw you switch lanes and I am assuming you were still holding the camera. It is impressive.

I not quite technically as good as you guys, but my feeling agree with your opinion on a steering stabilizer and expressed by you and Tejay, When we purchase a motorhome I will probably get both.

ed
I was holding the camera....I tell you. it's unbelieveable how stable it is

the real deal is sumo's and the biggest single improvement

here's what you get..

tracking... coach goes straight even when you let go of the wheel..

stable... no more side to side body roll..

load leveling...although most will argue, springs rate will not up your gvw..
but if the only reason for the lower gvw is the springs it will...
so if you have the same rear end in your 16k chassis as the 18k chassis..
upping the spring rate will bump up your GVW..
so adding sumo's will increase your load capacity...

did I say stable.... unbelievably stable when parked without the jacks down

recovery..with sumos.. bumps end where you hit them not a mile down the road...

LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:05 AM   #31

LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood, ford, suspension, upgrade