Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlouis5 View Post
I am sorry. I thought I had answered your questions. I could not find the inertia switch and I did look many times so I wired a new fuel pump directly to the battery with a switch inline. I did not know that the pump only ran for a second or two after turning on the switch so when I checked voltage at the fuel pump there was none.
The motor home is an Itasca made by Winnebago in 1993 but the title says it is a 1994 model. The motorhome is at the lake which is about 100 miles away from where I live. This makes it even more of a problem. I am not much of a mechanic but I do try everything that is suggested by you fellows..
thank you
Robert
The information below is for a class "A" with an F53. If you have a class "C" with the E-series cut-away or a class "B" with the E-series please let us know so we can give you the right information.

Sounds like you have either a 1992 or 1993 F53. You can check for the year by the 10th character of the VIN. You can post it back here and we will tell you what year it is.

The the inertia switch would be in the same place as the photo above and the image below.

Here is a photo below of the self-test plug that you need to ground pin #6 and turn on the key and the fuel pump should run all the time the key is on.

Below is a photo of the locations of the Fuel Pump relay and the EEC power relay.

Your fuel wiring should be something like this:

/
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #16

Hi Bill

Re: "Sorry I do not know what you mean by CM. To me CM is the memory inside the PCM"

It was CS Crank Sensor, but that probably doesn't affect the injectors does it?

Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVJ58 View Post
Hi Bill

Re: "Sorry I do not know what you mean by CM. To me CM is the memory inside the PCM"

It was CS Crank Sensor, but that probably doesn't affect the injectors does it?

Jim
He does not have a Crank Sensor as sutch but some call the PIP sensor in the distributor a Crank Sensor.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by subford View Post
He does not have a Crank Sensor as sutch but some call the PIP sensor in the distributor a Crank Sensor.
Oh Yeah, I forgot the 460's used a distributor..Thanks

Old 01-17-2013, 07:29 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
I have seen the female terminals in the relay connectors corrode and fail. If there is fuel pressure in the rail and it runs if you spray fuel into the intake one could assume that you have compression and spark. Previously stated a noid light would verify that there is no injector pulse. One can only assume that there is no pulse, concentrate on this.
mrv8outboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:39 AM   #20

Wonder if rlouis5 was able to get his engine started

Old 01-20-2013, 05:42 AM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Wonder if rlouis5 was able to get his engine started
I don't think so it is 100 miles away and he hasn't gone back out there yet .
Excell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:49 AM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Not a mechanic, but the OP says he has 45psi at fuel rail and when he sprays fuel into the throttle body and engine runs briefly, sounds like injectors not working so what would cause the injector failure, a drop in fuel pressusre while cranking, or somethine else..? Could a faulty TPS, CS or PCM have a negative effect on the injectors

Just curious Thanks,,
The TP sensor can turn off the injectors ,if the PCM thinks the throttle is at wide open throttle .This could easily be the problem with this one .
Old 03-25-2013, 09:15 AM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excell View Post
The TP sensor can turn off the injectors ,if the PCM thinks the throttle is at wide open throttle .This could easily be the problem with this one .
Very unlikely that it is the TP sensor. If the TPS would fail it would be an open to the TP wire. I do not see any way it could short between the 5 volt reference voltage and out put to the TP wire to give Full Throttle to the computer. The TPS gives three voltages levels to the computer. Closed Throttle and it can be anywhere between 0.6-1.0 volts, then Part Throttle is triggered @ 0.04 volts above Closed Throttle and Full Throttle is triggered @ 2.71 volts above Closed Throttle voltage.

The only way the computer would be seeing FT to stop the injectors as if the wires to the TP sensor were shorted together or the throttle plate was stuck full open.

The bypassing of the fuel system electrically could also mean the PCM Power relay is not giving power to the fuel injectors, computer and the fuel pump relay coil. This would be my guess and more than likely a bad fuse link.

He also would not tell us what kind of RV he has, a class "C" or a class "A".
Old 03-25-2013, 11:40 PM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by subford View Post
Very unlikely that it is the TP sensor. If the TPS would fail it would be an open to the TP wire. I do not see any way it could short between the 5 volt reference voltage and out put to the TP wire to give Full Throttle to the computer. The TPS gives three voltages levels to the computer. Closed Throttle and it can be anywhere between 0.6-1.0 volts, then Part Throttle is triggered @ 0.04 volts above Closed Throttle and Full Throttle is triggered @ 2.71 volts above Closed Throttle voltage.

The only way the computer would be seeing FT to stop the injectors as if the wires to the TP sensor were shorted together or the throttle plate was stuck full open.

The bypassing of the fuel system electrically could also mean the PCM Power relay is not giving power to the fuel injectors, computer and the fuel pump relay coil. This would be my guess and more than likely a bad fuse link.

He also would not tell us what kind of RV he has, a class "C" or a class "A".
What happens is the Tp sensor sticks ,doesn't follow the throttle back to
closed .I have only had this happen about six times in my 40 year career as a Ford mechanic ,but I have been wrong before and i am sure it will not be the last time .
Old 03-26-2013, 01:32 AM   #25

Check for power to each injector, You should have battery voltage when key is on thru the EEC relay. The pcm is very rugged with many safeguards built in and very hard to fry. The pcm gets a signal from dist on when to fire injectors and will ground one leg of the injectors so you should still have 12 volts to each while cranking. See if you can find a tech who has a scanner (does not matter make or age as long as a data stream can be read.) hook up and crank engine and you should see an RPM in the data. If not you have a problem in the distributor or its wiring. If you do, and you have 12 volts to each injector, check wiring from pcm to injectors. Again, I think you have a power problem to injectors as you get spark to run engine on carb cleaner or sprayed gas. I hope this helps!
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:44 AM   #26

Similar problem

Hello, I'm a newby to this site and to RV'ing. My wife and I live in Madison, AL and are looking forward to get out and see this beautiful country.
I recently bought a 1996 Winnebago Vectra tag axel with a 460 Ford engine. It was running well until I let it sit for 2 months. I tried to start it and the battery was low (approx. 8v). I charged it and tried again to start it and it cranked very slowly. I put the charger back on to jump start it. It cranked well, but won't never start. I can hear the fuel pump running when I turn the key on and I detect an odor of fuel.
My limited mechanical know-how tells me it could be electrical. My question is this: Should I get an EEC IV code reader first to see what's going on, or are the other things I can do initially.
I am glad that I found this site and welcome any and all tips on what I should do. Thank you.
tek_ryter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:50 AM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tek_ryter View Post
I can hear the fuel pump running when I turn the key on and I detect an odor of fuel.
Does the fuel pump run all the time the key is on with the engine not running?
Old 04-24-2013, 11:10 AM   #28

Yes. When I turn the key I can hear the pump.
tek_ryter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford