Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2019, 03:05 PM   #1

Ford Alignment Results

I took the MH to Ford last week to get the alignment checked because of the highway handling issues. I told the service writer that I wanted the caster set at RH +5.2/ LH +4.7. I picked it up today.

The service writer told me they tried but couldn't get the settings close to that. I have attached the print out of the before and after settings. There is essentially no change in the settings. The RH is +6.0/LH is +5.6. There is was a small change on the toe in. The MH still wanders all over the road. 18 Wheelers on the Interstate really dials up the pucker factor. Are the caster settings to high? Do you all see anything I'm missing here?

The MH has 61K miles on it. Is the steering stabilizer the next step or do I take it somewhere else to get the caster checked/adjusted?

Thanks in advance,

BT2 Zeke
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Alignment.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	266584  
BT2 Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2019, 03:36 PM   #2

Have you added any sway control upgrades.

I replaced my class Cs original anti sway bar with a heavy duty anti sway bar.

The change in handling while being passed by big rigs was remarkable. I no longer stared into the side view mirror watching for big rigs approaching. It went from off the pavement movement to just an annoyance movement.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 04:16 PM   #3

It appears the caster is either at or near max adjustment .
At the milage you have , unless you've rebuilt the steering ( tie-rods , king pins) and suspension ( shocks , bushings , air bags ) the handling issue may be worn out parts.
Tire pressure makes a difference in tracking and ride .
Heavier Sway Bars and rear Air Bags contribute to major improved sway control and reduced driving effort.
I did the steering stablizer last , which helped , but wasn't necessary after doing all of the above fix's .
If you were to do it as I did , 1 item at a time , you'll notice gradual improvement .
You won't regret it .
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 05:01 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
The caster "as it is" is better than what you wanted for straight line steer etc..

Not sure you can get anymore even with camber/caster shims..ecentrics..

If there is not front damper, add one or a HD.

Rear Stabilizer helps .. You can beef up the front and then shocks made for the RV ..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 05:46 PM   #5

Caster is where you want it.
Chsnge the shocks and all swsy bar bushings.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:22 PM   #6

The previous owner installed Helliwig sway bars front and rear. They are almost new. He also boxed in the rear frame. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

For the front parts that need replaced which should be OEM and which aftermarket? I'm also open to brand suggestions on aftermarket parts.

Thanks
Old 11-11-2019, 09:31 PM   #7

OEM vs After Market

In my opinion the OEM steering components ( tie-rods , ball joints , king pins , drag link ) are more than adequate .
Everything else Aftermarket ( Roadmaster steering stablizer , Bilstein or Koni shocks ).
For the back , Firestone Airbags , to stop the tail wagging the dog.
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:47 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm curious what you have your tire pressures set to.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 05:44 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Tires and or Pressures..

If you have updated stabilizers, that is good,

Shocks seem to be a godsend to some, I did RV shocks on my short bus, it helped alot..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:58 AM   #10

I'm running 65 psi in the front 80 psi in the rear.

Are the Roadmaster Reflex and the Safe T Plus steering hardware devices both for the same problem or are they for two different problems? Roadmaster seems to be selling the return to center function. Safe T Plus seems to be sellng steering stability. Do I need one or both?

Thanks.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:13 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Zeke,

I don't know if the Jamboree 25G is an independent front suspension or is it on the F-53 chassis??? That makes a big difference for sure. Especially based on what they told you about the alignment.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:17 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
What is your front axle weight, 65# sounds low
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:45 AM   #13
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT2 Zeke View Post
Are the Roadmaster Reflex and the Safe T Plus steering hardware devices both for the same problem or are they for two different problems? Roadmaster seems to be selling the return to center function. Safe T Plus seems to be selling steering stability. Do I need one or both?
Just one. I think they do the same thing. A giant spring connected to the tie rod and frame to keep the thing centered. Perhaps they use different tensions, though. I have the Safe-T-Plus and its spring is enclosed. I think the Roadmaster spring is exposed, for whatever that means.

Why did I go with the Safe-T-Plus? The dealer where we bought the motorhome is a certified installer for it and not for Roadmaster.

Ray
Old 11-12-2019, 12:04 PM   #14

OP, 65 PSI Front 80 PSI Rear are exactly what I run and what the Winnebago Aspect 26 specifications call for. I am running Michelins and after getting used to the wandering habits of the E-450 Chassis I have learned to live with it.

I do have the airbags in rear BTW.
Olmoose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alignment, ford