Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2019, 03:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
The volumetric efficiency of the 6.7 L is 1.01 ftlbs per cuin. A really good push rod V-8 (current Vette) is 1.10 ftlbs per cuin.
Doesn't volumetric efficiency depend more on intake and exhaust flow than OHC vs OHV ?

Of course, once the engine speeds up, variable cam timing makes a BIG difference. TIVCT is easy to do on DOHC engines.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2019, 03:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
The volumetric efficiency of the 6.7 L is 1.01 ftlbs per cuin. A really good push rod V-8 (current Vette) is 1.10 ftlbs per cuin. That means the max torque would be about 485 ftlbs @ 3,000 rpm and hp of about 360 @ 4,000 rpm on regular gas with a 10.8:1 compression ratio. With the new engine and trans, the fuel mileage should increase bu 0.4 to 0.5 mpg over the 6.7 L.
Trying to understand your numbers, volumetric efficiency is usually expressed as a unitless ratio of engine displacement to pumping ability. You seem to be expressing it as ft-lbs of torque to displacement but things like bore/stroke ratio can change torque output with the same displacement.

The V10 is a 6.8l or 415ci engine and makes 460 ft-lbs of torque which would be 1.10 ft-lbs per ci not 1.01.

The vette is a 6.2L with 465 ft-lbs or 1.23 ftlbs per ci not 1.10.

A 7.3L is 445 ci if it had 1.23 ft-lbs per ci it would be 547 ft-lbs

I could see 500 ft-lbs pretty easily.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:10 AM   #17

Some new info: https://www.svtperformance.com/threa...ction.1170924/

Quote:
So to not bury the lead, we've heard from several sources that the internal goal for the 7.3L Godzilla engine is 450HP. It may come in a little higher or lower, but that seems to be the figure Ford engineers were initially shooting for. No word yet on a torque figure, but my guess is somewhere around 500lbft. One thing is for certain, big power is going to be made on the low-end of the RPM range. For the current applications the 7.3L is slated for, stump-pulling grunt always on tap is a standing order.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:14 PM   #18

I'd be all over this combo if I was in the market for a new rig although I'd give it a few years to work out the bugs. I'm actually more stoked about the new ten speed than I am about the 7.3 gasser but I'm thinking that the combo will be a huge improvement over anything currently available. I love my 7.3 Powerstroke but I'd take a gas engine with equal power these days to avoid the complexity of modern diesels and to take advantage of the price difference between regular and diesel. The ten speed would be six more gears than I have now.
5spd97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:44 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5spd97 View Post
I love my 7.3 Powerstroke but I'd take a gas engine with equal power these days to avoid the complexity of modern diesels and to take advantage of the price difference between regular and diesel. The ten speed would be six more gears than I have now.
Just remember that 7.3L Powerstroke maxed out at what 275hp and 525 ft-lbs of torque from the factory.

We are looking at 175 more hp with probably the same torque in a gas motor, gives me goosebumps thinking about a new MH chassis with it and the 10 speed. They are just getting started with this engine, already has the castings for DI.

If Ford puts some thought into improving the F53 suspension and drops the 7.3 and 10 speed into it talk about bang for your buck in a MH chassis.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:37 PM   #20

Horse power, engines and torque oh my...

I always like to see what twin boat or tejay has to say about stuff like this.

twin boat do u copy...over....cssh

tejay r u out there good buddy...cssh

come on back...cssh

catch ya on the flip flop....
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:04 PM   #21

My opinion, unless your driving with your foot to the floor, your not using all the HP the engine can develop.

Even with my lame 1999, 245 HP, V10, I would back off a little, if I had the pedal to floor.

The extra speeds in the transmissions are to apply even torque, while keeping the engine in the most economical and pollution free range during normal driving. It's the EPA game, overall fuel savings and low emissions.

My 9 speed Jeep doesn't even use the top gears until at highway speeds. Then when you go to pass someone, it lags, while it climbs back down thru the gears until low enough to accelerate.

JMHO
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:25 PM   #22

10 speed will allow more options to keep the engine in either the most efficient range at cruise or the most powerful range when needed such as going up a grade. Will also allow more downhill control as well.

My 6 speed is pretty nice and a big jump over the 5 speed but there are still times when it can't shift due to redline but can't get into power band either losing speed. Same going downhill.

Whats not to like about a simple compact pushrod engine that makes more power and torque than the V10 while most likely getting better mileage as well? Then you step on it to merge or go up a grade and you have 130 more hp than the V10 maybe at a lower rpm as well, put a smile on any ones face while passing some DP's.

Will be out by mid summer in the Superduty see if it proves itself along with 10 speed. Wouldn't be surprised it will follow shortly in the F53 due to the Windsor plant making the 7.3 instead of the V10, will run out of old stock at some point.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:50 PM   #23

Heck I just put new wood floors in my 08 Bounder motorhome and new rims with tires, it also has the full Banks power pack system, 5 Star tuning, upgraded rear frame and hitch to tow more weight, 4 airbags with on board air pump and controls and only owe $13,800 left on the loan, I will not be in a hurry to go back into debt for a new motorhome just cause of a new motor/trans..

I will keep my old school V-10 with old school 5 speed and my old school 04 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon...
jackreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:27 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post

Will be out by mid summer in the Superduty see if it proves itself along with 10 speed. Wouldn't be surprised it will follow shortly in the F53 due to the Windsor plant making the 7.3 instead of the V10, will run out of old stock at some point.
Wonder how long after that you won't be able to buy a Ford crate V-10. I plan on changing mine out at some point around 140 or 150. Maybe I'll buy one and put it in the garage.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:55 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Wonder how long after that you won't be able to buy a Ford crate V-10. I plan on changing mine out at some point around 140 or 150. Maybe I'll buy one and put it in the garage.
Not sure far as I can tell there is no plant making the V10 at this point although new 7.3L might just match right up too you might like it better than the V10...
Old 02-11-2019, 08:08 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post
Will be out by mid summer in the Superduty see if it proves itself along with 10 speed.
Job #1 for SuperDuty is currently scheduled for November. Don't look for them to be on sale until January of 2020.

F53 could be as much as 1 year later.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:06 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard View Post
Job #1 for SuperDuty is currently scheduled for November. Don't look for them to be on sale until January of 2020.

F53 could be as much as 1 year later.
Pretty late release for 2020 model year ah well should see some definitive numbers before then and maybe some reviews by the time the order banks open up.

Wonder how many V10 they have and stock and can keep using in F53's? I would imagine they have to keep a certain amount for future warranty replacement.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:41 PM   #28

Unlike the V-10, they put the spark plugs back down adjacent to the exhaust manifolds where heat will fry the spark plug wires just like the GM 8.1. I'm sure cost enters into this big time, that's why they went away from the 3V OVC configuration.
jpstakun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, ford, transmission