Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2019, 01:38 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
Great video and lots to digest. I'm excited to see this get integrated into the F53.

One part of the video that did make the hair on my neck stand up was when he started talking about how the engine was specifically designed with the new (10spd) tranny in mind. I seem to remember Ford really bragging about the 6.0 diesel and tranny being built for one another and we all remember how that turned out about 20 years ago.

Let's hope this one is a winner.
The 6 liter was not designed by Ford and of course the 7.3 wasn’t either. They decided they had had enough and went with a clean sheet design. Needed some modifications over tome but has proven to be very reliable.
Does anyone know when the 3 liter RM diesel will be back on the market? Apparently taken out of the market because of emissions problems that were concealed. I pity the manufacturers and the hoops they need to jump through.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2019, 01:59 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post
400+ HP will put it in ISL power territory although at higher rpm so much less torque. The 10 speed will be the same heavy duty model as the Superduty designed to handle the torque of the Powerstroke will easily handle the 7.3 in a MH. Current F53's get the same 6 speed as the Superduty's.

More info:

"What do all of these codenames mean: 6R140, 10R80, and 10R140? In 6R140, the ‘6’ stands for six forward gears/speeds, the ‘R’ stands for rear-wheel-drive application, and ‘140’ stands from 1,400 N-m maximum input torque capacity. 1,400 Newton-meters converts to approximately 1,032 lb-ft of torque. The 6R140 transmission is also referred to a the TorqShift, and you can find it in the 6.7L Power Stroke V8-powered 2017 Super Duty.

The 10R80 is the new 10-speed automatic that is found in the 2018 Ford F-150 trucks, including the Ford Raptor. According to the codename translation, the 10R80 transmission is rated up to a maximum of (800 N-m) 590 lb-ft of torque input.

According to the report, the 10R140 transmission will be available in the later part of 2019. This means that it will most likely be featured in the 2020 Ford Super Duty. Based on the transmission rating, the 2020 Ford Super Duty diesel could be producing close to, but no more than 1,000 lb-ft of torque."

https://www.tfltruck.com/2017/08/202...140-f250-f350/
You can take it to the bank that the new rating on the 6.7 will be OVER 1000 torque. Ford won’t take second place on the torque wars. Ram has 1000 , Ford will be higher. Chevy has a new towing number larger than Ram, Ford will be higher than both. It’s all about advertising and bragging rights.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:11 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoger View Post
In the new world of GDI, it seems like they're leaving performance and economy on the table by going with old fashion port injection. Seems like a missed opportunity.

Perhaps I've misread the posts.
I would assume that the engineers at Ford understand what their customers need and the performance and reliability that are important to large fleets not just us average customers. They have the tools, knowledge and ability to sift through the various choices and come up with the best compromise. The videos that were posted were great and really explain the engineers thought process. I’m not qualified to come in after the fact and say they should have done this. Less complexity and durability seem like worthy goals. How about those great headers and the dual plugs and the larger water jackets and the 6 bolt mains. If I said they should have gone with 7 bolts would I be a genius or a nit picker?
Old 04-04-2019, 02:18 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorplay View Post
I am in the market about that time for a new truck, I just got a new 5th wheel and did not want to buy a truck and trailer at the same time. so made some upgrades to my F250 and going to use it for a year then buy a new one next year.

so I was very excited to hear about the new 10 speed, however, Ford has never been a great MPG truck. I don't know I would ever get the V10 as all of my Contractor buddies that bought them HATED THEM. only getting 4 to 6 MPG, so even if they go with the 10 speed, if they can't get that motor to do better then 12MPG there is no way I would buy it if I wanted low MPG like that I would have gone with a gas Motor home.

any way I am really excited to see how it works out
Then I would buy a large dually like my brother did and he gets 10 mpg towing. I have a 6.2 with 4.30 axles and get 11-12 towing. It’s all in want you wasn’t. You have to go diesel at heavier weights. This new engine will help in that regard.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:26 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
The arcticles I read months ago said the v10 was too expensive to produce. Just when ford had a motor you could rely on, here they go. Give it at least three years before you buy one. Their track record is not so good. They still can't build a diesel. A cummins, an Allison, and a ford chassis, now that's a real truck.
From the posts I read on this website about the Cummins engines destroying themselves apparently on a fairly regular basis count me out on a DP because of that. Just one example is Mr D looking at the second catastrophe that looks like it will cost him he said in the 60 K range. No thanks. Give me a CAT or wouldn’t it be nice to see Volvo enter this market. I know cat is only off road now because it wasn’t worth the trouble to produce road versions.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:40 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackreno View Post
Ford still wont release the HP/Torque, I bet it wont exceed the 3 valve V-10 by much..

Also I would not want the 1st or 2nd year of any new motor/transmission design, it took a few years for the V-10 to work out its issues.

Remember the spark plug blowing out issue..
I think that the engineers are not making that mistake again. The design was faulty with two piece plugs and they suffered through it along with their unhappy customers. I do have faith that we can learn from past mistakes and improve products. Would they take chances now that they understand the problem. We’re there a lot of engines that were affected by this problem or was the 5.4 the primary problem. Have we seen the Eco Boosts or other new engines spitting their plugs against the hood?
Old 04-04-2019, 02:48 PM   #105

I thought that the picture of the engine showed dual plugs. I was incorrect. My assumption is that they put the coils in the position that the did because they will be cooled better and would probably not be as reliable sitting between the exhaust manifolds. I think that the engineers are capable of selecting selecting a wire that will be reliable to transfer the spark to the plug. For those who think the spark will degrade over this short distance remember the old Y block and others. With distributors some plug wires were probably as long as all 8 of these wires combined. My OLD Y block was fuel injected and didn’t suffer plug wire problems. Might have been because it was in a 36 Ford pickup with a chopped top, sectioned body and channeled on the rails with a short box. No fenders, hood helped keep things cool. Wish I still had it!
Old 04-04-2019, 03:00 PM   #106

I have a 2017 FWD CCLB and I WANT this new engine and tranny combo. I don’t NEED it but I want it. Paid cash for the old one so shouldn’t be too bad. New car fever at 73. Does it never end?
Old 04-04-2019, 07:22 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
I seem to remember Ford really bragging about the 6.0 diesel and tranny being built for one another and we all remember how that turned out about 20 years ago.

Let's hope this one is a winner.
Close. The 6 point Oh No debuted in late 2003. Only about 16 years ago.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:45 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
The 10 speed was jointly developed by Ford and GM so I imagine it is a pretty versatile tranny.
Nope, the Ford-designed 10R140 TorqShift 10-speed will be in some 2020 MY Ford Super Duty trucks and in the 2021 MY E-Series Cutaway. It shares the same basic architecture of the 10R80 which was a joint Ford-GM design, so it has the same number and arrangement of clutches and planetary sets. All the 10R140's drive hardware is beefier than in the 10R80, with the two transmissions sharing only 7% of the components. The 10R80 was released with the 2017 Ford F-150 pickup.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:49 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post
Ecoboost is not worth it running a constant load, works great in a F150 where its unloaded most of the time, it can act like a V6 for fuel efficiency, then use boost and fuel to act like a bigger engine when towing or off the line. If your running a load all the time then you would be running boost most of the time and pushing the engine pretty hard all the time and not saving any fuel over a larger engine, Ford engineer mentions it here at the 2:47 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=2FtNlfAbc2w
Excellent video. The first part of this video that really captured my attention was at approx. 4:08 "Unfortunately we don't have the power specs on the new 7.3L, but Ford says it's going to slide literally in the middle between the 6.2L Gas engine and the capability of the 6.7L Turbo Diesel, so you can expect a lot of torque from this gas engine down low, but we still don't have the exact numbers". All the available information from Ford continues to indicate the new 7.3L gas engine will outperform V10 gas engine.

Another part of the video I liked was when they were talking about the piston & valve construction. They said it was built for high heat, like they do for turbo engines, but they did so on this engine to increase durability.

I have high hopes for this engine.
tripntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:15 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
Close. The 6 point Oh No debuted in late 2003. Only about 16 years ago.
I've found I need to build in a "factor of safety" to my time estimates as I get older since I'm usually well off. Apparently, I went a bit overboard - usually, it goes the other way
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 12:41 PM   #111

I'm excited to see this new engine/transmission combo in a Class C. But answers to two questions around livability still haven't surfaced. They're pretty basic. But since I don't have the reliability concerns that many do, they're my primary questions.

1. Will it have selectshift?? This is a simple thing, but one that would add a ton of value and driving comfort.

2. Will the pushrod engine allow them to shrink this ridiculous doghouse/console on the passenger side?

There are a few pictures out there about the 2020/2021 E-series, but they're a bit dated. All you can tell is the dumb stuff--it has an improved gauge cluster, and a different headlight switch--that's about all you can see. Anyone have any info on the other stuff?

Tags
engine, ford, transmission