Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaycj View Post
When (if) I break the bolts or studs used on almost all Ford tanks I drill the hole through into the tank. I drill the 6 mm bolt or stud out with a 6mm bit.
That makes sense, but I knew that I wasn't going to win asking Ford to drill on a gas tank. Even when empty, they can contain fumes and I'm pretty sure the big company policy is going to be "no-no".

I'm with you, if I was at home, I would have lifted the rear as much as I could and dropped the tank myself vs facing a $3600 repair bill... The post is kinda FYI on what to expect and a notification that there apparently are problems particular to these Ford tanks that are showing up with some frequency....
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
That makes sense, but I knew that I wasn't going to win asking Ford to drill on a gas tank. Even when empty, they can contain fumes and I'm pretty sure the big company policy is going to be "no-no".

I'm with you, if I was at home, I would have lifted the rear as much as I could and dropped the tank myself vs facing a $3600 repair bill... The post is kinda FYI on what to expect and a notification that there apparently are problems particular to these Ford tanks that are showing up with some frequency....
when I repaired threads on a 88 motorhome tank I just filled the tank with water to get rid of the fumes. I cant remember though what I did to repair it but I might have done what the other poster said will drilling the old stud. We have a metal glue here so im sure I used that to seal the tank. But the tank was also sent out for internal treatment due to the excessive rusting in the tank.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:04 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yep.. all good ideas, they just won't work with Ford.
Prior gas tanks, we've taken to radiator shops for flushing and internal coating.

However, there seems to be a delamination issue - certainly on the diesel tanks and perhaps impacting the gas tanks too..
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Yep.. all good ideas, they just won't work with Ford.
Prior gas tanks, we've taken to radiator shops for flushing and internal coating.

However, there seems to be a delamination issue - certainly on the diesel tanks and perhaps impacting the gas tanks too..

What do you mean by it wont work for Ford? It is no longer under warranty and you had to pay the bill. Im a senior master Ford technician at a Ford dealer and I do what I can do to reliable save customers money. That is why I needed to repair that 88 fuel tank. The customers just did not have the money for a new tank.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:37 PM   #19

Quote:

Agreed. I was asked. Doesn't matter if it is the dealer or any repair facility, if they don't want to do it, they won't. I'm agreeing here ...

I'm sure you would have done just fine at home. It is obvious you have experience from the language and logial steps in your first post.

As to the other post, many shops will try other cheaper plans if the customer can't pay. Sometimes its bad to cobble, sometimes you can make it a win win. In this case you said no way to $3700, and they came up with the $2000 plan. Fair enough, I get it if they didn't have a tech that wanted to start modifying tanks. Plus, you wouldn't want to be his first try anyway.

When I was a tech I would jump through flaming hoops for most of my customers, but it sure is nice to make a profit most of the time while doing it.
Adaycj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaycj View Post
Agreed. I was asked. Doesn't matter if it is the dealer or any repair facility, if they don't want to do it, they won't. I'm agreeing here ...

I'm sure you would have done just fine at home. It is obvious you have experience from the language and logial steps in your first post.

As to the other post, many shops will try other cheaper plans if the customer can't pay. Sometimes its bad to cobble, sometimes you can make it a win win. In this case you said no way to $3700, and they came up with the $2000 plan. Fair enough, I get it if they didn't have a tech that wanted to start modifying tanks. Plus, you wouldn't want to be his first try anyway.

When I was a tech I would jump through flaming hoops for most of my customers, but it sure is nice to make a profit most of the time while doing it.
I think part of being a good tech is thinking out of the box to repair issues (safely). The thing that bugs me is the tech broke one bolt and didn't appear to care and continued to break bolts instead of thinking how can I get this nuts off without breaking any more. A tank that new and south of the rust belt we have here should have come off easy. Wire brush to the exposed threads, penetrating oil and hand tools. I would be anything he just grabbed his air or electric impact and just ripped away. That rusted out 88 tank only had one broken stud. That because I took as much care as needed to get it off. The other tanks over the years I never had any issues.

I worked with a few guys that didn't have a care for customers money and had no issues (even thought it was funny) with breaking customers stuff and charging them for it. Glad they no longer work at the dealer any more. I just wonder if that tech said who cares he is a rich guy that owns a motorhome.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:46 PM   #21

I have a 1997 tank I just pulled out and it definitely does have a coating on the inside of it. The pump assembly can be purchased from Amazon for 300 dollars which is cheaper than I can buy from Ford with an employee discount. The jumper to adapt the early 4 wire pump to the DA pump is not available any more but the only difference is the wire pin position in the connector, so that problem is easily fixed.
keithz29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #22

I figured I would bring this thread back to life to help others that may be in the OP's position. This tank is out of a 94 E-chassis van. We live in an area that uses a lot of salt on the roads and this van is no stranger to rust. Each nut if moved would also start to twist the stud. So I knew my work was cut out. After draining all fuel from the tank, adding some water and water soaked fender covers, and using some heat on each nut with penetrating oil, all nuts came off without a hitch.

So if your in this position, DO NOT let anyone touch your nuts with any power tool. Hand tools only with care. Careful attention to the studs also will be needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131003_101542358_HDR.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	288.5 KB
ID:	47400   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131003_101548813.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	343.3 KB
ID:	47401  

Old 10-08-2013, 12:20 AM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good follow up James.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, fuel, tank