Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2013, 01:28 PM   #1

Ford leaf springs: Proper attitude

A fellow member commented that my the rear lead springs looked flat after seeing a picture I had posted; I included it at the bottom of this post.

I see what the friendly gentlemen means and it caused me to crawl under and take a better look.

This is on a 2011 Ford chassis, 22,000 lb GVWR, 242 wheelbase.

Perhaps I am not recalling correctly but I though in the old days of rear leaf springs in cars, the long leaf connected to the frame via shackles and then the smaller leaves were stacked below the main leaf and the rear axel was attached at the bottom to the shortest leaf. (57 chevy that I snapped rear springs on when I dropped the clutch; typical teenager behavior). This made sense to me as more weight was transfered to the spring each progressive leaf would add to the stiffness of the set.

The ford is not the same configuration; the shorter leaves are stacked on top of the main leaf and the axle is attached to the bottom of the main leaf. Just the opposite of the old chevy; seems that the shorter leaves would add little or no support but it must make sense to a automotive engineer.

At any rate the point of the comment was that the spring looked flat, even bent up slightly at the axel with the full weight of the coach on it. Doesn't look healthy but of course may be exactly what Ford intended.

Do we have any rear suspension folks who know where a loaded spring on this chassis should sit? I am about 1100 lbs below my max capacity according to the scales. Note the rubber bumper is well off the axle indicating to me the coach is not riding low but again, would have to compare to a new chassis to compare.

Roll
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060979.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	253.1 KB
ID:	36017  
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2013, 03:25 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Short leafs go on the bottom, if they are on top the only leaf doing any support is the longest one connect to the shackle's.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just looked at mine. I would guess the arch in the springs is about 1 1/2" or a little more from the centering pin to one of the shackles. But right now its sitting pretty empty with a full tank of fuel but no water, no clothes and groceries.
garykk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:00 AM   #4

That looks about right to me. The 'new style' leaf springs Ford uses (even on my F350) are like that. If you look closely at the far end of the leaf in the picture you can see that all the leafs are joined at the end by a bracket and a very robust rivet down through them. In this way they work together as a single large leaf spring but with the ability to deliver a soft reaction to a little bump and a firm reaction to a big bump.

It works very well.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #5

i just looked at a 22000 lbs chassis today with a fleetwood body on it. The springs looked just like yours. The delivery weight was just over 18k LBS.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:20 PM   #6

I looked at pics of mine, but in all fairness, it was up on the jacks and doesn't look that much different. Me thinks you "friend" is trying to "act" like he knows what he is talking about. LOL. If the ride hight is the same on both sides, I wouldn't worry about it.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
your spring looks Exactly as it should as Murf2u stated they are not progressive but act as one
gasser 38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford