RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2011, 01:40 PM   #1

Ford Speedometer

I have a 2004 Itasca on a ford v-10 chassis,I replaced the rear diff (changed ratio) and now my speedo is off almost 25% the info from ford says they use abs speed from rear diff,even if I change this info nothing changes,I think they are using the trans output speed sensor,does anyone know if I can change it or how to get the speedo accurate? I called Itasca and they told me to call ford, ford just says it should be from the abs sensor anyone have a schematic ??? Ron

rzonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2011, 01:48 PM   #2

No schematic, but I think it is a reprogram on the ECM. Ford can do it.

Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:58 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
rzonk,

You can also try Mike at 5 star tuning. He should be able to help you with this.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:40 PM   #4

25% what did you change the ratio to?

I'm in the same boat. It does use the ABS for a speed signal, but also uses output shaft speed. It's too "smart" to simply believe the ABS speed apparently. I need to reprogram my PCM, know how to do it, just haven't done it.

Mine's an '04 too, if you have a 4.88 like me, I should get off my butt and fix both of ours. (My speedo is about 13% low, 4.88/5.38 and some original error)

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:12 AM   #5

I have access to the Frord Factory scanner and I am a Dodge master tech so I understand how this works/changing the tone wheel rpm for the abs made no difference.anyone know what need to be changed and how to do it? I went from 538 to 430 ???
Old 07-15-2011, 08:24 AM   #6

still trying to figure out the website,I changed from 538 to 430,I have a ford scanned and we changed the tone wheel revs per mile and it made no difference,is there a way to just use the abs or do I need to change configuration in pcm and how do I do it, (im a dodge master tech so I do understand it,just dont know what to do) ron rzonk@netscape.com California. thanks
Old 08-02-2011, 01:35 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wouldn't it be easier to drive at a 60 seconds per mile between mile markers on a Interstate and mark it on the speedometer? That is 60 mph. LOTS cheaper too.
Fiesta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:41 PM   #8

Wouldn't the tone wheel speed be the same. Don't it read the ring gear? Ring gear speed is the same , the pinion spins faster with lower gears. If it reads the pinion it wouldn't match the front wheel speed.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:04 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
I recently reset my electronic speedo in my 94 F-700 when i swapped 5.29s for 3.70s AND I went to a much shorter tire. Even though yours is a 04 it might have a older type of speedo. have you popped it out of the dash to see if it has any(8, 10, or 12) dip swiches?
You might look at this thread to see if looks anything like whats in there.
Speedometer Calibration Codes - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
I have a Factory service manual for a 94 large trucks. sometimes the codes in the book work right on the money.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:07 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzonk View Post
I have a 2004 Itasca on a ford v-10 chassis,I replaced the rear diff (changed ratio) and now my speedo is off almost 25% the info from ford says they use abs speed from rear diff,even if I change this info nothing changes,I think they are using the trans output speed sensor,does anyone know if I can change it or how to get the speedo accurate? I called Itasca and they told me to call ford, ford just says it should be from the abs sensor anyone have a schematic ??? Ron
Until you get it figured out, you can use GPS for speed readings. 20 years ago or so I couldn't figure out why everyone was passing me on a two lane marked 55. Set GPS to read speed, once I had the input from the satellite, most of the passing stopped.

KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford