Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2015, 10:53 AM   #1

Ford Triton 362hp V10

we're considering the purchase of a 2015 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q powered by the Ford Triton 362hp V10 and the 5-spd tranny w/overdrive.

we currently drive a 2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U with the 295hp V10 with 3-spd tranny w/overdrive. the 295hp climbs hills but sometimes I wonder if it'll get to the top. the 2000 Suncruiser's road weight is 19,500-lbs + towing a 3600-lb Jeep.

we plan to tow the same vehicle and while we won't be packing any more stuff into the new Suncruiser the total road weight will be greater than 19,500-lbs simply because of the larger chassis.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has first hand experiebce regarding the ability of this chassis to climb significant grades such as the climb to the Eisenhower Tunnel in Colorado. I don't expect to climb those grades at 50-mph but I'd rather it not be a slow, white knuckle ride wondering if we'll make it to the top.

I'd also like to hear from anyone regarding their first hand experiences, pro and con, with this chassis.

thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2015, 11:11 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I am on my Third V10. I have owned a 2000, 2008 and now have a 2013. Each coach has been Bigger and Heavier. The Coach now weighs in loaded at around 23K lbs. towing a Honda CR-V. I have traveled from the east coast through the south, across to Oklahoma and back through Kansas and mid-west to home. We have several trips down south and as far north into Canada. The 2008 and the 2013 have major improvements over the 2000 in power and shifting.

I have added 5 Star Tuning to this coach and am very Happy with the driving and shifting results.

No... I have never driven "Eisenhower Tunnel in Colorado". I have driven some 6% grades running in the mid to high 40's.

PM me if you have any questions.

Happy Rving!!
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:49 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you've ever done the climb in your current V10 powered MH, I suspect you won't see any significant difference with the new MH. That extra 70hp and better selection of gearing should help.

I know this is on the other end of the spectrum, but we made the I-70 eastbound climb to the Eisenhower Tunnel (11,200 ft altitude) several times in our old 88 Toyota, no problem. I just select a lower gear so its not constantly revving and shifting. (Probably bothers me more than the tranny), turn on the four way flashers and fall in line with the 18 wheelers and creep up the hill at a blazing 20-25 mph.

We haven't traveled that route yet with our 2001 Mirada, but have made some of the climbs on I-40 in NM and AZ with our V10 Mirada towing a Honda Civic (about 2800 lbs), no problem, just selected a lower gear, and even run the lower gear with the Cruise Control turned on, 40 -45 mph, uphill

Good luck and enjoy the scenery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AK_24May_Koyukuk_1_Small1.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	87566  
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 02:54 PM   #4

Top three gears in both transmissions are the same, there won't be any difference there. Probably has a different axle ratio though, 6.13 vs. 5.38 I think. But with 22.5 tires, most of the ratio difference is eaten up by the tire diameter change. Engine will have more power, but mostly towards the top of the RPM range, it's still a 6.8 liter afterall.

So. A little more weight but a little more power, either could win in a drag race up Eisenhower.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:40 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
rk911, We were in Colorado for 3 weeks last fall started at Estes Park then Glenwood springs, Denver and Nathrop down by Salida. Took the back road from Estes Park down to Idaho Springs. Our last coach was a DP so there was some difference just traded Torque for RPM's.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:33 PM   #6

it would be super to be able to climb those grades a bit faster than 20-mph. I usually drop the 3-spd down to 2nd and plow ahead, even into 1st if needed but I confess to worrying about not making it. don't mean to sound like a worry wart and I appreciate all of the replies and information. can't afford a new DP...at least not one with the same floor plan as the suncruiser and don't want to buy used.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
it would be super to be able to climb those grades a bit faster than 20-mph. I usually drop the 3-spd down to 2nd and plow ahead, even into 1st if needed but I confess to worrying about not making it. don't mean to sound like a worry wart and I appreciate all of the replies and information. can't afford a new DP...at least not one with the same floor plan as the suncruiser and don't want to buy used.
you'll do fine ,.. that motors all in at 3200 rpms...probley 2nd gear run

I pulled the 8% in hurricane , was going too fast and up shifted to 3rd..
so I slowed down and lock'd it in to 2nd... easy run
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:07 PM   #8

rk911, you will have no problem with the new Ford V10 F53 chassis. Ours was special ordered on the 26,000 lb chassis, which came with a few handling extras and a longer wheelbase than the stock specs. Our dry weight is 20,400 lbs, and we have a NCC of about 5600 lbs. Also we have the 5.38 rear end ratio. I have put about 8000 miles on it so far(not been to Colorado yet) but have been all thru the Sierras, hitting peaks of over 10,000 ft., and have been on several grades of 6% or better.

The MH handles great, tracks well, and doesn't get pushed around by wind or big rig trucks. Taking grades both up and down have been no problem. We are averaging about 8 mpg, on the grades it seems to be around 6-6.5 mpg. One thing I learned was to get the best performance, drive it like ford designed it to be. With that I mean don't worry about running up the rpms, it's built to do that. When I go up those grades I'm pushing in the high 3000 rpms and holding my speed between 45-50, and I have more gas pedal left. Coming down the grades I put it in the "towhaul" mode and let the engine do the work. Once the engine realizes you are not on the gas peddle it will downshift to hold the speed. If you are still going too fast, you depress the brake pedal and it will downshift again. Once you get it going your desired downhill speed you need very little braking to control it, many times the rpms may be between 4000-4500. This is normal and the intended way Ford built it to operate.

So far I am so happy with the way mine handles that I haven't even thought of adding any aftermarket performance products. The engine is easy to work on and I am able to do all my own maintenance.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:37 PM   #9

mike, the issues I have with our current MH is not limited to climbing. prior to descending a grade I usually slow to about 30-mph at the summit...the speed I'd like to maintain during the decent...I turn off the O/D and drop into 2nd...the same gear I used during the climb. but the tranny does not hold that speed. the MH will continue to pick up speed until 45-mph when I'm forced to tap the brakes to get the speed back to 30-mph.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:07 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
I use rule of thumb, never go down the hill any faster than I went up the hill. In the ole Toyota, this was never a problem, the frontal area (aerodynamic drag) was BIG compared to the weight of the MH.

However, in the Mirada, I do notice it will pick up speed on some of the steeper downhills. I do like others suggest, take it out of OD and even force it to lower gears, and even then find I must brake occasionally to keep the speed from getting to high.

Remember energy goes up by the square of speed. Double the speed, and it takes four times the energy to stop it. In this case, the energy is the heat generated by the brakes.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:13 AM   #11

Quote:
we're considering the purchase of a 2015 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q powered by the Ford Triton 362hp V10 and the 5-spd tranny w/overdrive.

we currently drive a 2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U with the 295hp V10 with 3-spd tranny w/overdrive. the 295hp climbs hills but sometimes I wonder if it'll get to the top. the 2000 Suncruiser's road weight is 19,500-lbs + towing a 3600-lb Jeep.

we plan to tow the same vehicle and while we won't be packing any more stuff into the new Suncruiser the total road weight will be greater than 19,500-lbs simply because of the larger chassis.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has first hand experiebce regarding the ability of this chassis to climb significant grades such as the climb to the Eisenhower Tunnel in Colorado. I don't expect to climb those grades at 50-mph but I'd rather it not be a slow, white knuckle ride wondering if we'll make it to the top.

I'd also like to hear from anyone regarding their first hand experiences, pro and con, with this chassis.

thanks.
We went from a 2001 Adventurer 32V to a 2013 Adventurer 32H. The older one had the same engine and transmission setup as your Suncruiser. The new one has the 362 hp 3 valve per cylinder V 10 and the 5 speed transmission.

Our old one weighed in very similar to yours at 19,400 lbs. and pulling an 04 Jeep Wrangler at 3740 lbs. We haven't weighed the new one yet, but since we transferred everything from the old one and added a few goodies, I would expect it to weigh slightly more than the old one. We pull the same Jeep with the new motorhome so it's an apples to apples comparison.

The new one is quicker in all respects. It gets up to highway speeds faster and it pulls the hills better. The new one hasn't been through the Eisenhower tunnel yet, but has been in many of the same places that the other one went. Both have gone to Alaska, and So far it's easily out performed the old one. It rides better, has more power when you want it, and is easier to drive. We already have over 20,000 miles on the new one. I think you're going to enjoy the new motorhome.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:39 AM   #12

hikerdogs, thanks for that review. the review of the 2015 38Q chassis at RV Consumer Group (RV.ORG) stated:

"could be fatiguing for most people because the vehicle could wander and be difficult to steer much of the time."

I'm not sure if they based that opinion by actually driving the MH or on the wheelbase-to-length ratio (53% by my calculations). the operative word in their review is "could". you've mentioned that this chassis is easier to drive. I would therefore assume that you disagree with this review?
Old 03-03-2015, 10:50 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Handling concerns..... my coach is 40' and on a 260" Wheelbase. No issues. I have changed the front Shocks to Konis and completed the CHF on the front. I Liked both changes.
The CHF is the cheapest and quickest change you can make for a better ride.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/cheap...fix-72335.html

Of course CHF and the 5 Star Tuning, they both have there Naysayers!
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:10 AM   #14

Quote:
mike, the issues I have with our current MH is not limited to climbing. prior to descending a grade I usually slow to about 30-mph at the summit...the speed I'd like to maintain during the decent...I turn off the O/D and drop into 2nd...the same gear I used during the climb. but the tranny does not hold that speed. the MH will continue to pick up speed until 45-mph when I'm forced to tap the brakes to get the speed back to 30-mph.
Rk, with the new chassis you don't need to downshift, just put it in the "towhaul" mode and it will do it automatically. In fact on the new ones if you do downshift the "towhaul" mode does not work. I do the same thing, slow down at the crest of the grade to the speed I want to maintain. As I descend I hit the brake where I want the speed to stay and it will automatically downshift to maintain that speed.

Once in the "towhaul" mode you will have very little breaking needed. On 6-8% grades I occasionally need to hit the brakes for a few seconds to get the rpms down a little, and then it continues down the grade holding the speed you want. The only time I have really had to use the brakes much was if it was a twisting downgrade, or exceptionally long. I have never had to use the brakes enough to even smell them getting hot. You will like the control you have with this chassis, and will not be doing the "white knucle" driving either uphill or downhill.

Also I don't get fatigued driving the MH. The longest stretch we have taken so far has been about 12 hours and even then I wasn't exhausted, but maybe just a little more tired than I would have been in my Car.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, v10