RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2014, 07:04 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
The first Excursion was in 2000. There were no early 90's Excursions.
And I forgot to add that the V10 made it's debut in 1997.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2014, 07:54 AM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
homeless,
You don't list your coach. We'll assume it is an F-53 unless you are thinking of upgrading.
The V-10 Triton is a great engine. Ford has had very, very few major problems with this engine and there are thousands and thousands of them out there running long and strong.
We had a the 1999 2-valve engine with the earlier transmission. We only had about 40,000 miles on it when we traded it. Our drive is kind of steep and I notice a few grunts/groans when backing it in. That began to worry me some. We traded it 2010. In 2006 or 07 Ford made the upgrade to 3-valves (more torque and HP) and an improved transmission.
As with anything mechanical take care of it and it will take care of you. It's a great engine.
Think about some things Ford did with that chassis/engine even as far back as 1999. The rear differential came from the factory with synthetic gear lube in it. It was good for the life of the differential. You didn't need to change the fluid and the synthetic fluid ran cooler and with lower friction wear.
The 1999 engine had a computer controlled system that would allow you to drive your coach off the highway to a repair facility if you blew a radiator hose and lost all of your engine coolant. That system is still in use today. If you loose your coolant the computer alternately kills the ignition/fuel to a cylinder. The dead cylinder, instead of providing power is pumping air to keep the engine cool while you drive to a repair facility. You drive slower but you drive instead of being stranded then towed.

TeJay

Old 06-30-2014, 08:15 AM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
With the two valve design, there are two sets of problems that I know about - neither are catastrophic, but they're worth knowing about. Note, this is off the top of my head, so you'll have to dig a little deeper if you want better details:

Early V10s the plugs tend to get stuck in place. There is a removal method that involves soaking them over night, but most mechanics will just crack the plugs open. This can lead to the plug breaking apart in the head and a special tool and procedure are required to remove the remainder of the plugs. I managed to get all of our plugs out on our '99, but again, I was very careful and leak them soak after cracking them loose. I actually bought special tools just to do this job.

Installing, I chose plated plugs and a lot of anti-seize. Our rig needed plugs at 65k, but it had a Banks system.

Later V10s (again, which years escape me) had a low thread count on the cylinder/spark plug. If plugs were incorrectly installed (cross threaded) or incorrectly torqued (without a torque wrench), they tended to blow out while driving. Again, there is a special setup to fix this, but early owners had to replace heads.

Plugs must be carefully hand threaded and correctly torqued.... Basically, if I'm getting plugs done on a V10 I want to make sure a Ford Tech (certified) is working on it and have a conversation about expectations first. I wouldn't ever take it to a generic shop that isn't aware of the V10 issues.

There is a 90-degree hose under the throttle body on the 1999, it tends to crack and leak air. In fact, I'd inspect all of the vacuum hoses on the thing...

In the grand scheme of things, these are minor issues... Lots of these motors on the road and although they don't put down amazing power or provide great efficiency, they're very solid motors with no major downsides...
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
With the two valve design, there are two sets of problems that I know about - neither are catastrophic, but they're worth knowing about. Note, this is off the top of my head, so you'll have to dig a little deeper if you want better details:

Limited year late (06-08????) V10s the plugs tend to get stuck in place. There is a removal method that involves soaking them over night, but most mechanics will just crack the plugs open. This can lead to the plug breaking apart in the head and a special tool and procedure are required to remove the remainder of the plugs. I managed to get all of our plugs out on our '99, but again, I was very careful and leak them soak after cracking them loose. I actually bought special tools just to do this job.

Installing, I chose plated plugs and a lot of anti-seize. Our rig needed plugs at 65k, but it had a Banks system. Even though I have not had the chance to change plugs in the V10, the 3V 4.6L didn't seem to have that issue. Only the 5.4. Even though they are the same heads I think it was more with the added fuel that they consumed because of the added power. So I have never confirmed if the V10 fell with 5.4L side or 4.6L side.

Early (up to around 04????) V10s (again, which years escape me) had a low thread count on the cylinder/spark plug. If plugs were incorrectly installed (cross threaded) or incorrectly torqued (without a torque wrench), they tended to blow out while driving. Again, there is a special setup to fix this, but early owners had to replace heads.

Plugs must be carefully hand threaded and correctly torqued.... Basically, if I'm getting plugs done on a V10 I want to make sure a Ford Tech (certified) is working on it and have a conversation about expectations first. I wouldn't ever take it to a generic shop that isn't aware of the V10 issues. Doesn't matter who does it but make sure they use a torque wrench. Even a certified Ford tech may not pull that torque wrench out but rely on his elbow torque wrench.

There is a 90-degree hose under the throttle body on the 1999, it tends to crack and leak air. In fact, I'd inspect all of the vacuum hoses on the thing... Never heard or seen that. I will have to check mine out for sure.

In the grand scheme of things, these are minor issues... Lots of these motors on the road and although they don't put down amazing power or provide great efficiency, they're very solid motors with no major downsides...
You had that backwards. Corrected above.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:28 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
Does anyone have one with more than 60,000 miles on it? Can anyone tell me about high mileage V 10 issues??
6500 and still strong. From NH to CA and back along I-10 every year since new 2006. I love the V-10!
Old 06-30-2014, 03:37 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ours just turned 62,000 miles. Runs great still and hoping for a lot more miles.
Chuck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:44 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
93,000+ and just had 10 exhaust manifold bolts replaced due to breakage. Put 1400 miles on it since then with no problem.
Romer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:52 PM   #22
rf4

Winnebago Owners Club
66,000 miles on our 2001 Minnie Winnie V10 and no issues to report.
rf4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:04 PM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
You had that backwards. Corrected above.
Thanks, James...
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:04 AM   #24

Forest River Owners Club
89000 on ours and solid performer since we bought it so far.

vanion2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford